PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a pack

napeequa55
03-01-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm new to Kifaru - there's a lot to learn here.

Apparently these products are very durable because there's a confusing blend of older, discontinued packs, new or older generation packs, tactical vs. hunting vs. ultralight packs, and customized variations of all of them.

I'm looking for a little help wading through it all. So maybe you'll humor me and recommend something. I've already seen recommendations to call Aaron at Kifary and chat with him for a bit. I'll definitely do that - but I want to do my due diligence first before I start wasting his time or that of his team.

I'm going to buy a duplex hunting frame.

I'm planning to use it mostly for Mule Deer and Black Bear backcountry hunting - eventually maybe elk in a few years. I travel pretty light and don't stay out for more than 3-4 days at a time usually. I don't see myself needing a bag capacity of more than 5,000-6,000 cubic inches. I like a little organization but not tactical-level pouches and pockets. I hunt in Washington State - so waterproof/resistant is necessary.

I don't mind buying used, or previous generation bags - but they need to be at least mostly compatible with the latest generation of the Duplex frame.

Recommend a pack to me!

Thanks for the help all!

lineman78
03-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Welcome. As someone relatively new as well I can say that it certainly can be a little overwhelming. The hunting and UL frames are the same with the only difference being the stays where the UL is simply arrows while the hunting frame has aluminum or composite stays. The tactical frame has a slightly thicker piece of plastic and a few extra connection points. The older duplex (discontinued, available in the Rhino Den) frame had slightly less padding, had a single attachment point for the load lifters and didn't work as well for very tall users. There is also the Bikini Frame which has also been discontinued that didn't have the plastic sheet that the duplex frame had that some found more comfortable for lighter loads.

As far as bags go there haven't been too many discontinued bags that fit the modular system and most that have been discontinued were internal frame bags. The only ones I can think of off hand are the Highcamp bags which have been replaced by the Markhor and Argali. The only other confusing thing would be the T1/T2 (Timberline 1/2) vs the DT1/DT2/DT3 (Duplex Timberline 1/2/3) which are the modular duplex versions of the former.

As far as your purposes I would think that you would be most happy with the DT1 or 2 and I would recommend the 1 so that you have some extra room for when you get something on the ground. As far as waterproof goes, I believe all bags are DWR coated but you may consider a Silnylon rain cover (I'd avoid Cuben Fiber due to noise), I have the Kuiu one.

The last thing to consider is frame height. This is a personal choice depending on your height and torso length, but most go with 26".

widowshooter
03-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Pick yourself up a timberline 2 and be done with it. It's got a side pocket on each side for spotters, tripods, trekking poles, arrows, water bottles or just about anything else. Then there are two front pockets for little things you need handy access to. Finally a zippered lower compartment allows one to get out goods from the bottom without emptying the entire bag. (Think shelter). If needs be a belt pouch of varying sizes can be added to each side to hold any additional goods.