PDA

View Full Version : Lester River Bushcraft "Boreal Shirt". Anyone have one? Please tell me about it....

84FLH
02-08-2016, 04:06 PM
http://lrbushcraft.com/html/100__wool_boreal_shirt_-_wool_.html

What size did you get and how's it fit, too loose/perfect loose fit/too much material under arms/etc?
What size do you usually wear?
How tight is the weave, meaning, does it block moderate wind well/at all/some?
How floppy is the hood? Does it turn with your head or does your head turn and the hood not turn?

(Phew...)

Thank you.

TubbsTru
02-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Interested in this too...

Have you ever tried Asbell wool products? Pretty great for the price and quite a few options.

LMT66
02-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Had the 100% wool LR and the blend and the you'll need a wind block layer for either. They both breathe well both ways. Cut is generous and doesn't bind anywhere. They are cut to accommodate layers underneath.

84FLH
02-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Had the 100% wool LR and the blend and the you'll need a wind block layer for either. They both breathe well both ways. Cut is generous and doesn't bind anywhere. They are cut to accommodate layers underneath.

Thanks. Question: do you still have the LR? If not why?

A more than less tightly woven wool garment appeals to me for a few reasons. Quality wool itself is more durable than typical hard shell in briars, against rough bark/rocks/etc. It'd ruin my day to tear a $400-$600 shell (Westcomb, Rab, Arctery'x, etc). Wool substantially reduces the worry factor around fires or a crackling stove in a tipi/tent. Having to use a wind shell on the LRBS (no pun intended) defeats (at least for me) the purpose of a wool garment in the woods.

Then again, a canvas anorak might work. Durable, no spark worries (to speak of). Would work well except in rain. I guess everything's a trade off.

What I really want is one of these. Orders are taken on Facebook, when announced via same. I check FB periodically but like the paralytic said in Luke's Gospel; 'Sir, every time the water stirs, someone gets in before me'.
http://empirecanvasworks.com/wool/

(Lewis Machine & Tool...??)

TubbsTru
02-10-2016, 08:07 PM
I don't want to steer you away from wool, but have you considered something like a Polartec WindPro product? I had a hoodie from a company called Melanzana out of Leadville, CO. Superb quality. Heavier fleece fabric that cuts a great amount of wind. Was very durable walking through the timber here in Wisconsin. Triple Aught Design has a WindPro hoodie too. But, I know how it is: hard to beat quality wool for its many awesome qualities.

84FLH
02-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Tubbs;

I've heard good things in the past about Polartec's wind blocking fleeces. I have no Polartec fleece but I've got Patagonia, North Face, Mountain Hardwear. With a shell they're acceptable but sometimes the warmth they provide feels strange; clammy for lack of better word. Never felt that way with wool. I've a pair of Woolrich (Style 1933) 'hunting' pants. A muted buffalo plaid. Wool so thick pants almost stand up by themselves. They're cozy warm. Have another Woolrich pant in herringbone grey wool. A bit thinner than the thick pair. They're comfortably warm by themselves for knocking around down to around 25 degrees on a mostly windless day.

The high tech shells and pants are great, but. If you look closely at the reviews and conditions this clothing is used, it's mostly skiing (either downhill or Alpine back country), or mountaineering in winter conditions (no to little exposed rock, gravel, etc), or winter camping without using a wood cutting saw, axe, or hatchet. Not many of the reviews consist of someone bushwacking through scrub to get to that knoll for tonight's camp; or building crackling fires (open or in stove); or lobbing off limbs with a hatchet to build an overnight or longer winter lean to; carrying a saw (Schmidt, Sven, Sawvivor, etc) to cut wood, and then carrying armloads of the sawed wood back to camp; etc.

We can do all that with our expensive Gore, Event, and Neoshell shells and pants. But we're always having to "be careful" to not rip, tear, abrade, or burn our expensive 'outfits'. Wool alleviates that worry. And if I can find good wool cheap, I buy it.

TubbsTru
02-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Well said my friend! Again, Asbell wool is good for the cost. You can get some heavy weight stuff from Teresa. She has some anorak style shirts for around or under $100. But those Boreal shirts are pretty awesome looking for sure.

LMT66
02-10-2016, 10:15 PM
Thanks. Question: do you still have the LR? If not why?

A more than less tightly woven wool garment appeals to me for a few reasons. Quality wool itself is more durable than typical hard shell in briars, against rough bark/rocks/etc. It'd ruin my day to tear a $400-$600 shell (Westcomb, Rab, Arctery'x, etc). Wool substantially reduces the worry factor around fires or a crackling stove in a tipi/tent. Having to use a wind shell on the LRBS (no pun intended) defeats (at least for me) the purpose of a wool garment in the woods.

Then again, a canvas anorak might work. Durable, no spark worries (to speak of). Would work well except in rain. I guess everything's a trade off.

What I really want is one of these. Orders are taken on Facebook, when announced via same. I check FB periodically but like the paralytic said in Luke's Gospel; 'Sir, every time the water stirs, someone gets in before me'.
http://empirecanvasworks.com/wool/

(Lewis Machine & Tool...??)

I sold my Boreal Shirts off because it just isn't cold enough where I'm at to justify keeping. I'm also trying to stay with clothing that i can compress down and stuff in my pack when I'm rolling.

Wool certainly does take a licking in the woods but no matter how tight the weave, your going to feel the some wind.

I have some inexpensive goretx shells I use when I'm out at the pit or going to be hiking thru areas that poke holes in coats. I buy these on sale and usually get a few years out of them.

beachbunny
02-12-2016, 08:56 AM
I''ve got an XL,all wool.
6' 195-200. it fits loose of course for layering,the arms are long which is just fine for me,i simply use the solid snaps on the cuff . The kangaroo pouch pocket is well planned out, the hood is something I do not use much but that can be battened down with the cinch to follow the head more closely.I assume if one wore a ball cap it would line the hood up better. You will need wind protection when the wind comes up but even my King of the Mountain coat needs that.

XMP
02-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Just an FYI for anyone who prefers one without the hood: Kevin Kinney of Empire Wool and Canvas (who licenses the design of the Boreal Shirt to Lester River) also makes a Scout Shirt, which is essentially a hoodless version of the Boreal Shirt. You can order these direct from Empire Wool. Material and sizing, etc. are obviously essentially the same.

beachbunny
02-12-2016, 09:22 AM
I did think of selling mine and getting one of those,especially in a grey.

Lab-Roamer
02-12-2016, 02:38 PM
To answer your questions I would either get a hold of Justin at LRB or Kevin at Empire Canvas Works. I don't own the Boreal Shirt but I have a closet full of Empire Canvas Works Clothing. I'm lucky to call Kevin a friend so I have a few custom garments from him. As stated previously, he licensed the shirt to LRB, and all of his garments just plain work. Just today I used four separate coats of his for various activities. You won't go wrong buying one. As far as the wool vs synthetics debate, you can read for months, but I'll take wool any day over synthetics.

L-R

84FLH
02-12-2016, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Been in contact with Kevin of Empire. He said keep watching his Facebook page for product offerings, then email him to get a spot in line. ECW Facebook page bookmarked and prowling usual sites for used gear.

ron finkbeiner
02-14-2016, 12:49 AM
I have one but don't use it as much as I thought I would but, it does work as advertised. For what its worth....

ron finkbeiner
03-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Update: 03/24/16- I have ended up using the shirt several times since my last posting. This shirt is far more versatile than the many of my Carhartt jackets I have. It's interesting how it seems to self regulate my body temp when I am outside the truck chaining up my truck and other task in the cold. It's a keeper! :)

84FLH
03-24-2016, 11:57 PM
Thanks for sharing, Ron. Had put the Boreal at bottom of my list and concentrated on watching/buying winter clothing sales from the usual websites. Will have to put the Boreal back near top of list.

WildLove
03-28-2016, 09:19 AM
While they're still available, you'll regret not having one (or even one of each) by EWC or LRB. The only real difference between the two is the LRB is 100% wool and the EWC is an 80/20% blend of wool/nylon, but on the positive side to that the Nylon makes the wool more longer lasting. Both really good guys, and both "shirts" are almost literally bombproof.