PDA

View Full Version : Winter Colorado Rondy

eknopins
12-25-2015, 03:04 PM
I do not want to miss this winter's Rendezvous Has a date been set yet? It is my understanding that it is usually held on President's Day weekend which this year would be Feb. 13 and 14 with the actual holiday on Monday the 15th. A year or two ago I suggested that we consider avoiding Valentine's Day the 14th so as not to have to choose between the Rondy and Valentine's. I just need to know so I can arrange to be off from work. I hope to go up early to cut wood and build a snow cave.

Jon S
12-25-2015, 03:24 PM
My understanding is it will be the following weekend, 20-21. Would be good to see you again. Pretty sure Sawtooth will be posting shortly about it, but not sure when. Merry Christmas to all, and to all plenty of snow!

widowshooter
12-26-2015, 07:06 AM
I am also looking forward to this event. I missed it last year due to work silliness.

Sawtooth
12-26-2015, 07:43 PM
It is indeed February 20-21. I'll post more info next week.

Jon S
01-31-2016, 09:12 PM
Looks like snotel is saying we are close to 40" right now and the snow is coming down heavy. A wood cutting trip is planned the weekend before, let me know if you can attend either Sat the 13th or Mon the 15th, will probably be Saturday!
If you're up for some fun, this is a good time!
Here's a video our buddy GoneHuntn made a few years ago, some might recognize that guy looking for an escape and landing that tree right where I wanted it, if it had missed the two, it would have been a beast to try and buck up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djkyzhr3YMI

Ralph
01-31-2016, 10:19 PM
When I was a good deal younger I felled trees like that with an axe and a crosscut saw. Chainsaws were not in common use then.

robcollins
01-31-2016, 11:24 PM
I'll be there, Jeff Rotondo & Jeremy will be there too. Met them down at Skagway Reservoir this weekend, they were fishing with a retired Force Recon Marine, I told him he should come! Solid guy, lots of work for his purple heart....

My wife has something planned for Valentine's day, but a snowshoeing trip to get ready for a snowshoeing trip sounds like something that needs to be done!!!

Jon S
02-01-2016, 05:52 AM
When I was a good deal younger I felled trees like that with an axe and a crosscut saw. Chainsaws were not in common use then.
When I worked at Philmont in the 90's, we cleared a summer's worth of trees two summers in a row. Big Douglas firs, some smaller ones, all with double bits, pulaskis when we were feeling dumb and a a good crew of friends. It was not uncommon to use chainsaws, but we didn't have one and loved the labor! I feel like I was younger in the 90's as well!

Chas
02-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Hope to make it this year -- I was bummed at missing last year's rondy, but there was this little blizzard . . .

eknopins
02-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Am I correct in thinking that the Colorado Winter Rondy will be in the same place as it has been in the last few years? Can anyone give the conditions up there? I am hoping to build a snow shelter but the snow has to be deep enough.

robcollins
02-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Affirmative on location. A few of us are headed up tomorrow to stomp out spots & cut wood. Will try to get an estimate of depth where main camp is, but, it was deeper where the snow cave was 2 years ago.

Sawtooth
02-13-2016, 09:41 PM
UPDATE: The wood (probably 1/2 cord!) is cut, kindling split, tipi platforms stomped down, and trails broken! Thanks to Rob Collins and widow shooter for being part of the wood cutting crew! The snow depth at the campsite is around 34", and there's a chance of a bit more snow this coming week, but not much.

I'd like to get a headcount for the rondy. So far, here's who I have confirmed:

Sawtooth (with the possibility of two new guests) CONFIRMED
Patrick COMFIRMED
Chas COMFIRMED (Friday arrival)
Widow Shooter + 2 CONFIRMED
Rob Collins CONFIRMED
Mountain Matters CONFIRMED (Friday arrival)
Jeremy CONFIRMED (Friday arrival)
Jon S CONFIRMED
orionx (not confirmed yet)
RandallHaynes CONFIRMED (Friday arrival)
COSHunter + 1 CONFIRMED
eknopkins CONFIRMED (Friday arrival)

ANYONE ELSE?

The main party is planning to meet at the trailhead at 9:00 AM on Saturday morning. There may be a Teller County Crew pre-party on Friday, and I'll confirm that this weekend.

COShunter
02-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Since Jackie does not get off until 5. she and I will be coming up early Sat morning. Looking forward to a great time.
Rex

widowshooter
02-15-2016, 06:40 AM
I'll have a possible two extras with me. Looking to head up there Friday afternoon to split more wood and re-stomp tipi areas and trails.

Sawtooth
02-15-2016, 07:44 PM
widowshooter,

I appreciate the update, and thanks very much for all the hard work you did last weekend hauling wood down to the pile! Thanks also to Rob for the work on the wood and for his scrumptious soup!

Sawtooth
02-15-2016, 08:00 PM
See updated headcount and arrivals above.

widowshooter
02-15-2016, 09:00 PM
I'll only be bringing one extra.

Jon S
02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
I will be bringing one as well, many of you have seen her at the b/c rondy and the summer ones as well. She's only 5, but pretty darn tough and excited to join in the fun.

Sawtooth
02-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Kifaru II: The Next Generation. Coming to a rendezvous near you.

sab
02-16-2016, 06:31 PM
Y'all have fun and be good! I'm stuck down here this year. I blew my winter vacation last month on a snowmobile trip near Telluride, and have to save my vacation for hunting this fall...

Regards,
Scott

robcollins
02-17-2016, 12:02 AM
UPDATE: There may be a Teller County Crew pre-party on Friday, and I'll confirm that this weekend.

Rob: At what point will my Teller County Cousins be groovin' in? Jeremy? Quint? Thad? Rex?
Jeffery Rotondo: "Soon as we set up at camp Honah Lee, bro. that's my opinion :-) "

Ha!

Cuttin' wood was fun! I'll be Friday night as early as I can, moon should be 90% on Friday.

Jon S
02-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Looks like I'll be pulling in a 12 man as both my daughters and wife will be in attendance if plans stay as they are now! Two daughters under the age of 6 will be a fun memory indeed!

COShunter
02-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Dam, both Jackie and I have come down with the flu. I am feeling better, she isn't and we do not want spread it.
I have been waiting for over a month to open a quart jar of Ole Smoky Moonshine with lots of cherries in it. I so wanted to share it with my friends.
Please have a great time! We will be thinking of you. Take lots of pics.
Rex

Jon S
02-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Get well Rex, may the flu pass quickly through you and Jackie, you'll be missed for sure, but feel free to bring that moonshine on up to Erie anytime you want and I'll share a sunset with you!

widowshooter
02-22-2016, 02:53 PM

I hope everyone had as much fun at the Rondy as I did. I enjoyed digging into the snow under my shelter. The chow was absolutely fantastic, Rob and Jon can sure make a taste meal from the animals from this past season.

Sawtooth
02-24-2016, 09:59 AM
How'd you stay in your sleeping bag with it standing on it's head? :) Good seeing you widowshooter, and hope to link up with you soon.

widowshooter
02-24-2016, 10:05 AM
It's a skill I've acquired over the years.......

I have no idea how to fix that picture, but I am working on it.

I will definitely be looking to meet up again this summer.

AdkMtnGuy
02-24-2016, 03:59 PM
I have pictures of various of you from the Rondy if you would like them emailed to you. Also, I would like to see what pictures people have of me, as well as the group, if you guys could email those to me, we can trade pics all around! :-)

It was a great time and I look forward to the next Rondy and especially checking out the summer one as well, we'll see of I can make it depending on timing.

AdkMtnGuy
02-24-2016, 04:01 PM
It's a skill I've acquired over the years.......

I have no idea how to fix that picture, but I am working on it.

I will definitely be looking to meet up again this summer.
You could open it on a computer and rotate it using Windows Picture and Fax viewer, or tap it on your phone, and then tap rotate. It may or may not be that easy depending on the setup you have.

I also have a picture I can post for you of you, your shelter and Rob, whether you guys want it as a public post or private email. Send me an email if you want it privately.

widowshooter
02-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Post away, doesn't bother me.

AdkMtnGuy
03-01-2016, 07:16 AM
Post away, doesn't bother me.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160301/f1e6f786cb4658df50063e48deea2836.jpg

larryschwartz
03-01-2016, 09:01 AM
I hope everyone had as much fun at the Rondy as I did. I enjoyed digging into the snow under my shelter. The chow was absolutely fantastic, Rob and Jon can sure make a taste meal from the animals from this past season.
Here it is with the image rotated...

widowshooter
03-01-2016, 09:34 AM
That looks way better than it did before. Thank you very much Mr. Schwartz.

larryschwartz
03-01-2016, 01:37 PM
That looks way better than it did before. Thank you very much Mr. Schwartz.

I saved your picture to my desktop and then opened it with Windows Photo Viewer. It has an icon on the bottom of its screen where you can rotate the image clockwise or counterclockwise. Then I just saved it as a new file name. And now you know too. :o