PDA

View Full Version : Need Information About Colorado Springs

Mark
11-29-2004, 02:15 PM
This is maybe not an exact fit for this message board but I know several of you live in Colorado. I currently live in New Mexico and have a possible job opportunity in Colorado Springs. What can you tell me about the city, housing, schools, etc? I would appreciate any information on hunting and fishing in the area as well. Thanks.

Mark

Sawtooth
11-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Mark,

I don't live in Colo. Sprgs, but I live pretty close. There are others on this board who actually live there. I don't because I'm a hill billy (just ask Huntsman22) and I don't have the desire to live in town...any town.

I will stay away from giving you info on the city, housing, schools, etc., and leave it for the others who live there. It's a city of around 300,000 as I recall, and it has the full spectrum of pros and cons. If you're a reservist, retired military, etc., it's a great place since it has such a large military contingent. Lots of opportunities to use your benefits.

As for hunting and fishing, it's near some really great country. I have fly fished Elevenmile Canyon, South Platte and Arkansas Rivers quite a bit and they're close. Pike and San Isabel National Forests are next door, and several wilderness areas are within a 90-minute drive. To the east is some decent (western standards) pheasant hunting, as well as plains deer.

I'm not sure what your hunting interests are, but as you probably already know, Colorado has the nation's largest elk herd.

I'm sure you'll get more, and probably better (ha) info from several others here. Good luck!

Timberline
11-29-2004, 03:55 PM
Mark,

I moved to Colorado Springs seven years ago and love it. In fact, I picked the Springs out of any place in the country to move my business and family. Over 300 days of sunshine annually and a very mild climate, with four distict seasons (hunting season being the most important). Good schools, shopping, dining, transportation, etc. Big enough to have opportunity and services, yet close enough to the mountains to get away quickly. Excellent hunting for mule deer, whitetail deer, elk, black bears, sheep, mountain goats, lions, moose, bison and more within a three hours drive. Good central location for a serious hunter with easy additional access to New Mexico, Arizona, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, and Utah. Just a bit further to Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas.

On the other side of the coin, you may find things a bit expensive in Colorado. Seems everyone wants to move to Colorado and most move to the Front Range. That's driven prices up on everything, although it can also make such things and land and houses very good long term imvestments. Colorado values aren't likely to go down.

The Springs is a cool place. Elevation in the city is 6,000 feet. Scenery is spectacular. I live on the north edge of the city, have mule deer in my back yard, antelope within a half mile, elk within three miles and bighorn sheep within five miles. At times, we have lions and bears within the city limits and moose wander into town occasionally. There are lots of people here, but there is also lots of outdoors.