PDA

View Full Version : Elk Advice Please

Shawn
11-18-2004, 08:17 AM
I am hunting recently logged areas behind gated roads in NW Montana for elk. Went up to a juicy area that is about 4500 ft in elevation, which is roughly where the snow line is. The snow seems pretty soft, and isn't particularly deep in most areas. For 2 out of the last 3 days, the snow was frozen and quite crunchy. I've read that this annoys elk and will push them down.

We saw a few elk tracks that appeared to be within the last day or two, but no fresh poop anywhere.. Do you think I should be looking up or down?? I can move to another area that is 5500 ft that is a similar situation, recently logged. I always want to go up, but is it feasible that the elk could be down below the snow line??

BTW. We got a nice whitetail from a clearcut in the area we were just in. This also leads me to think the elk might be higher up in elevation?

Thanks for any help you might have!

Kevin
11-18-2004, 01:46 PM
When in doubt, go down. If there is more than 6" of snow on the ground, the calves don't know how to paw the ground, and whine. The cows take the herds down to winter range.

MontanaMike
11-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Shawn -

Crusty snow will move elk, according to Montana author Don Laubach in one of his fine books on elk hunting. He claims its hurts their feet (the dew claws).

Hey, BTW, I also live in NW Montana. Send me an email and let me know where you live, if you wouldn't mind. We might be neighbors!

--Mike