PDA

View Full Version : Utah west desert Pronghorns

elmbow
11-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Pointer, I've taken 3 goats and they've all been off of the Pilot, Grouse Creek, Snowville units in the northwest corner of the state. There aren't huge populations out there, but if you draw a tag you should be able to collect a 15"er if you're patient. The goats come down into the alfalfa fields and do considerable damage. The ranchers out there are glad to have you hunting them. West of Milford and south of Hwy 50 out in the San Francisco Peaks, Little Horse Heaven, Wah Wah ranges there are some decent herds. I've never hunted down there and it's a pretty long drive from your location. Also south of Fish Lake on Parker Mtn in central Utah are good herds. IMO the western Tooele county desert is too barren and alkali even for goats. My 16 year old boy has two points for antelope and we've been putting in for the Pilot range unit for him. Mostly I go out there because it's closer than the southern units and I just hang out there a lot anyways. The Pilots used to support some fine Muley's until the DWR planted elk on 'em. With the limited browse, water, drought, poaching and being out manuevered by the elk in the wintertime, the deer herds have really suffered on the desert ranges. I'm hoping with the new wilderness status for the Pilots this year that the deer herds will build back up. Ya gotta love those hunters on their 4 wheelers!

pointer
11-08-2004, 06:07 AM
Oh...pronghorn=goat. I thought you were referring to feral goats. I know where there's some nice pronghorns, saw a 16" along the railroad grade near Lucin (north end of the Pilots).

I hear you on the four wheelers. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Actually, about 200 pronghorn from Parker Mtn will be moving to northern Tooele Co/southern Box Elder later this year.

There's a guy that lives on Pilot Mtn, west of the TL Bar Ranch, who raises Lahontan Cutthroat Trout for the USFWS and BLM (who I work for) who said the same thing. Once the elk showed up, the deer all but disappeared. Doesn't seem to have as much effect on the California bighorns on the Pilot's though.

PS- If you son wants to try to draw, there are some BIG antelope between Randolph and Woodruff.

elmbow
11-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Sorry for the miscommunication Pointer, I don't know of any feral goats anywhere in Utah. Thanks for the tip on the Woodruff/Randolh herd, we'll look into that for the upcoming draw. I used to hunt that country for Sage hens, (wonder where they've all gone?) and it's good country for winter coyote too.
I love my elk as much as the next guy but there are locations where they just shouldn't be planted. Our deer herds need all the help they can get. The bighorns occupy a different niche on those ranges and don't compete with deer or elk (IMO).
So the division is transplanting pronghorns from the Parker Mtn to Where?

pointer
11-09-2004, 05:42 AM
The pronghorn will be going to 'Puddle Valley', which is in So. Box Elder Co, just south of the Bombing/Test Range.

There's still quite a few sage grouse in Rich Co, just shot my first up there this fall. From talking to the locals it's nothing like they had in the past, but there's LOTS of work going on up there to help the sagegrouse. The hunting will only get better. The hardest part is that the majority of the birds are on private land. DL&L has HUGE population of sage grouse.

I agree on the elk, they shouldn't be transplanted everywhere. I've always found it interesting that elk force deer out of an area. Seems counter-intuitive to me as their diets don't overlap that much at all. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

If your son draws next year let me know as I'm out and about in many areas with pronghorn.