PDA

View Full Version : Long Hunter "efficiency"

Yolla Bolly
11-03-2004, 04:24 AM
Circumstances gave me an opportunity to directly compare the time needed to get meat out of the back country using "drag-it-out" vs "bone-it and pack it out methods.
My brother and a friend hiked into an area, and the friend killed a nice 3 pt on a certain ridge.
The field dressed it--then started dragging --about 50 yards through brush to the trail--then to the truck. Total drag time 3 1/2 hours.
Next week, I went in with my brother---he shot a little "dinner-fork" maybe 250 map yards from the first kill site. Of course, there was the requisite cliff between "here" and "there", as he was shooting from the certain ridge nearly straight down. He had trouble finding the buck after he had made a circular route down in the canyon, but I was able to spot it with the Steiners and guide him to it.--He looked at the climb out and my Long Hunter and whined---so we boned out the little beast--sawed off the horns-put it in the pack and I carried it up to the ridge where the first buck had died--then out to the truck---total pack out time, one hour and 50 minutes. Hey Patrick--Thanks

Ken
11-04-2004, 04:50 AM
Dragging sucks...I find it is easier to cut a deer in half and carry it out if you are not equipped to bone out, but much prefer boning.

Kevin B
11-04-2004, 05:52 AM
Half a whitetail spike (rear) went in the back of my LH. Just stuffed him right in there no problem and 1.5 miles and about 45 minutes... back in camp. The other half was on a standard pack board. Again, gun bearer... so good. Not my spike, I just leant the gear to get him out. Back to the whitetail woods next week for mine. We've dragged form this general area before, triple the time easy to drag.