PDA

View Full Version : Welcome

Mel
06-01-2002, 11:51 AM
Guys, I'd like to welcome you to Kifaru's new military forum message board. This whole project began about 6 months ago. I was on a quest to find someone interested in building a full size, internal frame military ruck. After much research, I decided to go "outside the loop" and contact a civilian backpack manufacturer. I found that when it came to backpacks, this is where all the technology and new ideas were. I contacted Patrick Smith of Kifaru Int'l. and asked if he might be interested in such a project. Patrick was the founder and former owner of Mountainsmith Packs with well over 20 years experience in the backpacking industry. He started Kifaru to build dedicated hunting packs and gear, being an avid hunter and shooter himself. Th
e frame and suspension system of the Kifaru packs is what really attracted me to them. I knew that with military features added to this system, a military ruck, unlike any other, was possible. Patrick was very receptive to the idea of building such a ruck. We developed a team effort and started on the project. Six months later, here we are, getting ready to release the first offerings from Kifaru Military Gear. We'd like to thank everone who has helped on this project and been a part of it. You'll get to know us even better over time through this message board. We welcome your participation and are looking forward to hearing from you.

Mel Terkla
R&D and Sales
Kifaru Military Gear

Chuck45Ho
06-02-2002, 09:43 AM
Hey Mel,

Registration works great.

Can't believe how fast you and Patrick got the EMR (and other products to boot) out so fast.

Wishing the both of you the best luck and success soon.

CH

ONEXSC0UT
06-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Okay, so I'm second on the board.... Hi Mel.. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif lets get that pack ready. I'm sold on it..

Mel
06-02-2002, 11:00 PM
CH and ONEXSCOUT:

Thanks guys for coming on board and hope to hear more from you as this all unfolds. Please be patient and stay tuned.

Mel

eggroll
06-04-2002, 10:24 AM
PHEW! after wading through the waist deep murk of fastex, cordura, busted blackhawk gear that is the AW G/A forum, I have made it through.

How goes it?

Mel
06-04-2002, 05:34 PM
Hey Egg, good to see you made it. As you can see, we're just getting started here. I'm hoping we can exchange some good ideas, comments, and info here on this message board. It should be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to hearing from you all.

Mel

Outsider
06-05-2002, 01:14 PM
'nother Geardo checking in! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Submariner
06-05-2002, 02:45 PM
Hi, guys! Just surfaced on this site after the journey from AW.

Mel-Just got your old SOE butt pack back from John. It now looks (and works) just like the new ones. Hope your gear is as well made with the same warranty but with better delivery times. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Awaiting payment on some Beta Cs so I can shop here. Will Lightfighter be a distributer?

murphquake
06-05-2002, 05:17 PM
I MADE IT TOO PALS VALHALLA!
-bill

Outsider
06-05-2002, 05:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by murphquake:
I MADE IT TOO PALS VALHALLA!
-bill</div></div>LOL! That's what I was thinking! I saw miles of PALS webbing and started taking a mental inventory of my Tactical Tailor MAV pouches and which ones I'm going to stick on the EMR!

Patrick
06-05-2002, 07:10 PM
Hello Submariner--

Welcome to the Board. Looks like you and Mel go back a ways. I'd like to take your experience with lengthy delivery to explain our own delivery time expectations. We build custom packs for individuals. For example, we'll be asking for your waist size, inseam length, height and left or right handedness when you order a pack. We ask for up to six weeks with our hunting pack customers--to build the pack and ship it. I expect our initial response with our military packs to be even a bit longer--perhaps eight weeks. This, because we have to get raw materials in here AND carefully make the first ones so as to get them just right. Understand? Mel tells me your project with SOE was a six month affair, so hey, for a custom deal we aren't too bad. Everybody seems very pleased with our fit and quality and that's the way we accomplish it.

Oh, and on the subject of the fine Lightfighter outfit, no can do. We make everything right here in Golden, CO. and there just isn't a margin for middlemen. In other words, we sell only direct. This distribution system seems to be working well--we have a jillion hunting men as happy customers. Frankly, this internet medium is part of our getting-the-word-out network. And so I'm tickled to have all you guys on here, able to get the word on what we're about from the horses' mouth so to speak. I know how to build modular, extremely comfortable backpacks, and my buddy Mel knows everthing there is to know about making them compatible with military needs. So. Together, me and Mel should be able to answer any of your questions. In fact, we get a huge kick out of this. I imagine I speak for Mel as well as myself when I say that sometimes I can't believe we actually get paid to do this. Y'all are dealing with a couple of terminal-case gear heads who love what we are doing! The fact that you guys show up here tells me that you are the same. Fine. We're all in good company!!!

Shoot straight, gentlemen. And remember these numbers: .308 and 1911. I know, I know, I'm old-fashioned!

Patrick

Submariner
06-05-2002, 07:59 PM
Patrick - Thanks for the staight-forward, no-nonsense response to my questions! I look forward to doing business with you and Mel.

BTW, Mel and I don't go back too far. I was blessed with being the guy who first answered his sale ad on AW for an SOE Spec OPS Lite Pack and buttpack. It was a great deal and they work well-just not as well as what you are selling!

I was brought up on the M14. I gotta say, though, these little black carbines have a lot going for them. On the 1911, we are one.

Paul

Mel
06-05-2002, 09:49 PM
Submariner, Murph, and Outsider: Welcome guys, it's good to have you on board. It should be a lotta fun.

Mel

ONEXSC0UT
06-06-2002, 10:25 AM
Just wanted to jump in and tell you guys that Mel brought one of the packs to my work a few weeks ago ang the thing is awsome........... Outsider you live in the area, we should get together and see Mel so he can show the pack to you.
Patrick, awesome piece of kit !!!!!! Congrats on a job well done. .308/1911 only way to go.. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Jan
06-06-2002, 03:48 PM
Guys,
I want to formally introduce myself. I seem to be one of the few people here who didn't wander over from the Assaultweb forum.
You might very well call me a gear freak. I am a German engineering student and thus (you might think) not really in need for this kind of equipment. But as I already told Patrick: civilian or not, I believe this pack system is the best deal out there at the moment. Anyway, I'm looking forward to a tough as nails system that will not quit on me (unless of course I collapse under 7500 cubic inches of equipment).

Outsider
06-06-2002, 04:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by ONEXSC0UT:
Outsider you live in the area, we should get together and see Mel so he can show the pack to you.
</div></div>Hope Mel doesn't mind me posting this (just delete it if you do, Mel). If you can, TS Gun Show at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds this Saturday (June 8th). We're meeting at 10:00 AM in front of the building (by the NRA sign-up booths). Mel will be wearing the EMR, I'll be wearing an Eagle A-III.

The challenge and password will be:

C: "The sun is shining!"

P: "But the ice is slippery!"

LOL

Mel
06-06-2002, 04:19 PM
Welcome to the party Jan. Outsider, not a problem, as I already contacted ONEXSCOUT and told him about the meet. He's going to try and make it. I invite anyone else in the San Jose area that's interested in seeing the EMR to meet up with us.

Mel

eggroll
06-07-2002, 12:15 AM
weh-ayl

Patrick all I have to say is that I am looking forward to checking out this pack, this coming from someone whos owned the following - Bugaboo fixed and separate shoveltails, 3 Days, Tour, Frostfire packs. what can this EMR do? :-)

eggroll

Patrick
06-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Yo Eggroll--

Mel just explained to me how to get to page two on this board, so excuse please the delay--I didn't even know this message from you was here!

Uh, let's see, the EMR is green; it's bigger than a Frostfire; it has the CargoChair option.... That's about it! (Just kidding.)

Patrick