PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Colorado Winter Rendezvous RSVP

Sawtooth
02-13-2015, 03:55 PM
If you plan to attend the Kifaru Colorado Winter Rendezvous on February 21-22, please RSVP here with your intention, and number in your party. Patrick and I need to know how many to expect to help in planning out the weekend.

Our annual shindig is located in central Colorado. Exact driving and ski/snowshoe directions will be sent via PM to those who RSVP. Be advised that you will need 4WD or AWD to get to the parking at the trailhead. Camp is about a mile or so in on a packed ski/snowshoe trail (actually a seasonal Forest Service road). You can even hike this part if there's no fresh snow, as the trail is always well packed.

Average daily highs at the 9,500' campsite are around 30 and lows are near zero. Records since we've been camping there are a high of 45 and a low of minus 18. We recommend you come prepared with a sleep system that'll take you down to minus 20.

Is anyone planning to arrive for the rondy on Friday or earlier next week? If so, please stamp down the platform for the 24-man tipi. You'll see where it is...Patrick and I will stamp it down Monday and mark it with sticks around the perimeter. It wouldn't hurt to stamp it down one more time. Please don't nail your shelters down inside that circle, as it's reserved for the big communal 24-man.

If you have any questions, fire away!

Patrick and I are heading up there this coming Monday to drop one of those widowmaker lodgepole pines, buck it up, and maybe even get some splitting done. Any extra hands for those jobs are most welcome. Meet us at the Mountain Lyon (yes, Lyon) Café in Silverthorne at 10:00 AM on Monday.

Chas
02-13-2015, 10:10 PM
I plan to arrive Friday. Anyone else?

Chas
Southern Rockies Nature Blog (http://natureblog.blogspot.com)

COShunter
02-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Sawtooth:
I will be coming up. Will post on coming on Fri. or Sat. later this week.
Rex

Sawtooth
02-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Which day are you coming, Rex? I assume you know the spot?

MojoSlim
02-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Really bummed to miss yet another raucous winter rondy! Hope to see all you crazy guys sooner than later, though! Have an awesome weekend, all.

Aloha!

Sawtooth
02-19-2015, 08:35 PM
Mojo,

We will miss you and Nautilis! Those stoveside chats over the years were awesome!

For everyone else, PMs have been sent to you with the details. It's going to pound us with snow…come prepared! See you there!

sab
02-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Why no post-Rondy reports?

robcollins
02-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Why no post-Rondy reports?

Only 6 people made it since the 'snowpocalypse' rolled in. Mountain Matters has some stuff on Facebook. It was pretty fun, and didn't snow much there.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=814762498559815&set=pb.100000782160662.-2207520000.1424917126.&type=3&theater

Here's a pic of Patrick... (hopefully that link to Mountain Matters's FB works)

Robbie
02-28-2015, 07:03 AM
Robcollins thanks for the FB heads up. Great pictures. I would of thought Patrick would of had the oval stove in the 24 man. We fired it up last year and it certainly was impressive on heat output and "durability". We talked a bit at the ECR about what size would be best for an 8 man. All the best!