PDA

View Full Version : Platypus Water Tanks

Rusty Hook
10-15-2004, 12:14 AM
I bought one of these last year and it has worked out to be a good wilderness water pitcher for me. They are light weight, flexible and durible. When filled with water, they will stand alone. They are easy to fill because the top has a leak proof Big Zip opening. They are easy to transport becaust of the two durable nylon webbing strap handles. With an easy poor corner spout and a secure closure cap, they roll flat for compact storage in your pack.

I put a push pull cap on mine so I wouldn't have to be hunting for the cap or get it dirty while it was off the tank. You can fill a Camelback Unbottle in your LongHunter with out having to remove it or the tube from your pack.

They come in three sizes: 70 oz./ 2 lieter, 140 oz./4 lieters or 210 oz./ 6 lieter. The stand alone and handles makes them great for adding water to pots on your stove. There is also a shower kit avaliable. The snall one weighs 2 oz, and the big one 3 ozs...Rusty.

Ralph
10-15-2004, 04:57 AM
I like the Platypus stuff. It comes in a variety of sizes, is tough and tasteless and uses a standard thread so you can put the different caps on as you need to adjust for the current use. They also are pretty reasonable in cost. The ziplock versions are a lot easier to clean and dry than most of the other designs and don't require special racks or whatever as Camelback does.

BeaverTrapper
10-15-2004, 05:04 AM
I have the 2 liter Big Zip Hoser which is a replacement bladder with a zip top.

Pros:

The material is stiffer than the Camelbak bladder which makes it MUCH easier to air dry the Platy bladder after cleaning compared to the Camelbak.

The zip opening is much easier to fill and to add large chunks of ice.

Rolls up much smaller when empty than a Camelbak bladder because the Camelbak bladder has the big screw on cap at the top which cannot be folded, whereas the zip top is easily folded.

Cons:

My 2 liter Platy bladder is long and narrow - so I cannot reach my big fat hand down into the bladder to scrub it - I have to use a brush. The old Camelbak bladders were even worse; but the new CamelBak bladders with the super big screw cap do allow you to reach all the way in with your hand.

If I could just fit my hand down into the Platy - it would be perfect.

How do the water tanks compare? Are they wide enough so that you can reach into the opening and wash them with your hand?

Rusty Hook
10-15-2004, 05:07 AM
Ralph, all very good points.

siskiyous6
10-15-2004, 06:55 PM
I like the Plats a lot. I clean them with bleach and water.

The BIG ZIP bags have a number of uses, like waterproof storage, and I even used an old one to soak my ankle after twisting it during a summit of Mt. Whitney and Mt. White Peak. (Now my buddies are scared to drink out of any of mine) The largest one holds enough water for camping for days.

They can leak though. You need to be carefull when it is cold to really work the big zip completly closed. I dont think I ever had one open on me, but I know I have failed to get them completely closed.

Ralph
10-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Any of the zipper type bags can get moisture in the channels that can freeze, complicating closing and opening in cold weather. You can reduce this - but not eliminate the problem - by wiping dry before closing, or wiping with vegetable oil - just a drop on a paper towel. Needless to say, water bags pose even more of a problem in this respect.

A lot of water bladders seem to be taller than I would like. I have been looking around for a squat version I can use in a buttpack, but have yet to find one. (A couple of makes have buttpacks with a bladder which would suit, but I haven't found replacement bladders for them)

In cold weather I usually use the pint flasks used by army aviators (they fit in the coverall pockets) carried in an inside pocket. Body heat keeps them from freezing. I also have a couple of the platypus small bottles that have the advantage of flattening as the water is consumed. When I dry them, the relative stiffness makes them easy to inflate and turn upside down in a dish rack.

I couldn't resist Walmart's offer of bladders with tubes and valves for $3.75. Forget the brand, but they are quite well-made and for the price couldn't be beat. These were closeouts, so are likely no longer available. Problem is they have a bump on the bottom that allows all the water to drain into the tube, but that makes them VERY tall. They also have a large screwcap that allows the hand in, if your hand isn't huge.

For water around the camp I still use a bucket made from the muzzle cover of a 105mm howitzer with a strap sewn on as a handle, holds about a gallon and just right to use a cup to dip out water. (What can I say, I'm an old artilleryman.)

These things are all over the army and easy to make up if you can find one (or have a buddy in the field artillery).

Rusty Hook
10-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Beaver Trapper, the Water Tanks are big enough to get your hand down into but they aren't set up to work as a bladder in a pack, in my opinion.

I got a Platypus bladder with my LongHunter but I found it to be noisy amd a pain to fill. I wemt to the CamelBack Uubottle to get an easier to fill, quiter and more user friendly package. I ended up cutting the derilen D-rings off as I had no need for them in my applications. I like the insulated cover as it makes the blatter quieter and helps keep the water from freezing.

I don't think the perfect system has been invented yet. This may be fertil ground for someone to come up with a better mouse trap...Rusty.

shu
10-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Rusty-

I have not used the platypus version sold by Kifaru but have found most bladders to be relatively noise-free if you make sure all the air is out of them.

Don't know if this addresses your problem, just thought I'd toss it out there for you.