PDA

View Full Version : Fair chase

Cleve
09-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Received a link to this website in an email from the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (www.trcp.org)

Check it out at: http://www.huntfairchase.com

I'm confident the concepts are not news to most on this board, but thought I'd pass it along.

imported_Randy
09-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Cleve,

While true it is not news......like many values it bears repetition often. Thanks for posting the link and may we all have respect for and ethical behavior in pursuit of our quarry this season. Randy

powder river
09-02-2004, 06:18 AM
Cleve,
You've provided an invaluable service by informing us of this link on a very important topic which should be of vital interest to all sportsman. We appreciate it!

Sawtooth
09-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Cleve,

Good show, thanks for the link. Randy's right, this is something we need to think about often and constantly model in our outdoor behavior. Sure appreciate it!

Forster
09-02-2004, 11:29 AM
I like it.

et
09-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Cleve,saw the ad in Bugle this a.m Thanks for the link. Just read the info on their web site and can't tell what they stand for or where they draw the line regarding ethics in the field. Seems from the first reading as long as it is legal in an individual state it is ethical; just don't break your states laws and above all join the big tent.

Lots of nice quotes from Teddy Rosevelt but I did not see any positions taken that support the qoutes beyond hunters being stewards of wild life. Anyway,guys set me straight about this. I'm not interested in getting in a debate as I am not familiar with the organization just want others input. I came away with the feeling that its another hunters rights group(not bad) wraped in the guise of an organisation that concerns its self with hunters responsibilities. Not sure who they are protecting the American hunter or the hunting industry. et

shu
09-03-2004, 06:43 AM
et-

I believe the site is an extension of the Boone & Crockett Club.

Ksnake
09-03-2004, 07:35 AM
From their page:

ďActivist groups who distain and oppose our hunting heritage are watching for chinks in our armor. How sportsmen and land stewards act and conduct themselves (individually and as a group) is being closely monitored. These groups would like nothing better than to dethrone sportsmen as the guardians over wildlife - particularly those species that are legally hunted. Why they spend millions to cut off the hand that feeds wildlife conservation instead of joining those who fight for wildlife defies logic, yet this is their agenda.Ē

I believe this is their goal. Antiís use the Bubba stereotype to gain anti hunting support. So this site is promoting ethical hunting in order to give hunting a better image, and the anitís less ammo.

The problem with being specific on what is ethical is that hunters end up arguing against themselves. Which is anti-productive. For example, one hunter may think that driving deer is unethical because now you are shooting at running deer, which increases the odds of wounding and potentially not retrieving the animal. But on the other hand, there are hunters who have been hunting that way their whole life, and they donít want to hear it.

So itís hard to give specifics when promoting ethical hunting because there arenít any universal standards defining ethical hunting. Which is why that website needs to be vague.

In the interest of unity, I think they are just trying not to offend anyone.

Patrick
09-04-2004, 09:54 AM
I remember hunting with handgun hunting writer Bob Good, in Labrador for caribou. As our brothers to the north don't allow handgun hunting Bob was using one of my Ramblers. He grew up in Pennsylvania. Where they learn to shoot running game. Well, I watched ol' Bob do exactly that on a 'bou. Very clean one shot kill. Those drive hunt PA boys can shoot! I suppose what I'm getting at here is that all the tried and true hunting ethics are most likely valid, if performed properly and with skill. The BIG TENT concept makes plenty of sense.