PDA

View Full Version : NW rendezvous recap

snakey2
07-23-2014, 09:51 AM
The NW rendezvous has come and gone and it was much to short. It was a small gathering of stalwarts this year but still lots of fun and very relaxing (at least for me). A fire restriction meant no campfire but in the spirit for improv., we made do with the flame from a citronella candle. The food was, as usual, varied, plentiful and meat oriented. All in all it was a good time with old friends who made it worth the long drive. The only thing better would have been a couple of extra days! Thanks to all for making sure this annual event happened this year, I always look forward to it.

COShunter
07-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Hope we get to see some pics.

snakey2
07-23-2014, 12:39 PM
I know Bushcraft took some and maybe some others did too. I was without my camera most of the time.

Randy
07-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Another NW gathering in the books!
As Snakey said, this year's group was small, but it was well worth the time to get out and see friends in the mountains.
Attending this year: Bushcraft, Snakey, Aron aka OldPineCricker; Randy and Tracy, Chris H, Mike and Jonathon.
We opted for an easy drive-up at a previously used location. The meadows below offer ample space for shooting out to about 300 yards.
Snakey, who has the longest drive, was first to arrive on Friday. Then Bushcraft, Randy, Tracy and Chris rolled in. Aron, Mike and Jonathon came in on Saturday morning.

We got a kitchen set up, windbreak erected and enjoyed the evening swapping stories, talking hunting and enjoying some good grub. As darkness fell, Chris educated us on the finer points of high-end night vision gear. I didn't know there were that many stars in the sky! Walking to the main road in pitch black was awesome. The tiny flicker of our candle on trees 50 or so feet away was amazing.

Saturday rolled around and we got everyone fed and headed to the range area. Bushcraft and Snakey made an early morning drive to a high ridge to check for the elusive mule deer while the rest of us slept:)
Bushcraft got set up to do some load development with a bunch of rifles. Chris let us send a few rounds down the barrel of a new long-range AR build...awesome rifle Chris!
Tracy managed to put 48 rounds from her Springfield XD into about a 3" circle at 10 yards. Mike worked with HK and his Mini-14. Randy spend most of the day loading the muzzleloader and various other implements for Jonathon (8 years old). He is an accomplished ammo unloader and has no problem ringing a 10" target at 100 yards with the muzzleloaders! I keep telling him he needs to get a job so he can help with the component costs of his favorite hobby. When not slinging lead, he was across the road slinging arrows from his compound bow.

A highlight for me was being able to shoot OPC's Sharps chambered in 45-70! What a cool rifle. I have longed dreamed of having a Sharps and the chance to shoot at some rocks with the old classic just fueled the dream that much more. In fact, I have the Sharps 2014 catalog open on the desk as I type this:)

As Snakey said, the weekend came to a close too fast. As we parted ways, we made the commitment to continue to gather and bring the youngsters along and continue our fine NW tradition. It wasn't the same with Patrick, Arron and KevinB, but it was still fun. Next year should be an epic reunioun.
Tracy has a bunch of pics on her camera, but you'll have to wait, as she's off to another horse show until Sunday night.

Be patient, we'll get some photo evidence posted soon:)

snakey2
07-25-2014, 10:25 AM
The other thing that came up was instead of being blazing hot it was a bit on the nippy side. It seemed most everyone was in the same boat with clothing a bit on the light side for the night temps. A fire would have been welcome.