PDA

View Full Version : MegaTarp

jrpace25
05-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Ok, I have been perusing the Trading Post for quite some time now and have seen a few ParaTarps and 1 or 2 Supers, but have yet to see a MegaTarp (actually I saw one the other day but thread was closed so I don't know if it was purchased quickly or owner changed their mind). Is the Mega that great that no one wants to part with them or is it that not a lot of people buy them and instead just go with a Para because it is lighter and they are packing for only 1 person? Thanks.

Jeff

chippewawarrior
05-10-2014, 02:38 PM

It is pretty awesome, worth the extra weight for me...

shtfco
05-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Prefer a tipi myself

widowshooter
05-10-2014, 09:28 PM
I've had a paratarp for awhile now, it's nice, but I think I'd rather have a mega.

Curtis C
05-10-2014, 09:51 PM
The Megatarp is a nice shelter. It has a lot of interior room and its nice to be able to sit up through the entire length. I felt like it was almost to big for 1 person and to small for 2. I migrated to a Sawtooth for late season or pairing up, and a Supertarp for early season or solo. I am hoping this proves to provide good coverage for my needs. This will be my first year to utilize the ST in backcountry. If it turns out the Super is cramped a Mega may find its way back into the stable.

The paratarp is pretty small. For me it would be tight quarters if going out for 3 or more nights. The additional space of the Super only has a tiny weight penalty so I doubt I would ever go with a Paratarp.

widowshooter
05-11-2014, 01:32 AM
I bought my paratarp used for a great price. I've had two adults and a dog in there, very cramped. However, it's perfect for my kids. They could even carry it. My buddy has an ST and we've used it quite a bit. For two guys plus gear it works very well.

Backpack Hunter
05-11-2014, 09:21 PM
I like the extra space and the way the height is carried out the whole length of the mega. Don't see myself going back to a super or down to a para anytime soon.

Ermine
05-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Can't go wrong with any of the shelters. I think the reason you see more super tarps and para tarps for sale is that they have been around longer. More of them out there. The mega tarp came onto the scene recently. So prob not going to see a lot of used ones for sale. Super and para tarps have been around for years!

jrpace25
05-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Ermine, that makes sense! Thanks...

Backpack Hunter
05-16-2014, 06:42 PM
There is a megatarp for sale on rokslide

jrpace25
05-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up Hunter. I saw it earlier and just thought it was the annex and stove....I guess that I need to slow down and read more carefully..:rolleyes: