PDA

View Full Version : Voile Snake Skins?

Doug
07-31-2004, 04:42 AM
I know its mid summer but I was wondering if anyone has tried these things?

http://www.voile-usa.com/skinsnstraps/skinsnstraps.html

My nylon glued skins work fine, but I hate the glue/care/fiddly effort that goes with them. So a plastic, no glue, zero maintenance polyurethane skin would be too good to be true? anyone know what the catch is??

Doug

Cleve
07-31-2004, 02:39 PM
Doug--
I've used both the glue-on and the snake skins and prefer the glue-ons for several reasons. The snakes skins have virtually no glide--they'll climb a steeper slope than avalanche danger here in Colorado usually makes sane, but you'll WALK DOWN any short gully crossings on that ascent. They're great for "yo-yo" skiing, climbing a comparatively short distance (1/4-1/2 mile say)to get the downhill and then repeating that several times in a day. On steep slopes where all you're doing is up continually they work great, and as you've said you don't have to worry about keeping your glue clean/dry/warm so it will stick again when you put them back on.
Personally I tend to "travel" on BC/Tele skis more than I "yo-yo". Like hut touring to the 10th Mt Hut system here in Colo, or just cruising off trail on day trips, or hunting snowshoe hare in the black timber. For that use the fact that the skin can't slide laterally out from under your skis on traverses (which DOES happen even with tight snake skins) and the edges of your skis aren't interfered with on windblown hard pack by the straps wrapping around the sides of the skis makes the glue-ons my choice.
So bottom line is, both work. My view is snake skins are great for short, steep, then repeat. Glue-ons better for the long haul. Pick your poison, each has it's downside as well.
---Cleve

Doug
08-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks Cleve, I guess I'll be sticking with the glue on's for now. Though it sounds like the snake skin could come in handy. I looked on the web but couldn't find any reviews so i'm grateful for your input.

Cheers Doug

Ed T
08-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Doug,

Cleve is right on with his assesment on the snake skins. I too prefer glue on skins. In my opinion Ascension are the best.

Ed T

jiml
08-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Doug,
You should ask my wife how those Snake Skins work at night on an icy traverse!! On second thought, forget I mentioned anything.
Jim L

Cleve
08-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Glad someone else has chimed in. I too have the Ascension Ent Skins and think they're great. They used to make a decent 3/4 length strap on for YO-YO use but when Black Diamond bought them they stopped producing them I think. They were a better choice than the Voile Snake Skins, but still had straps in the way of edges on traverses, and needed a tensioning buckle screwed to the top of the ski's tail.
---Cleve