PDA

View Full Version : Ku 3700

widowshooter
02-08-2014, 10:42 AM
I just received a used KU 3700 with 22" composite stays. Out of the box I am very impressed with the weight of the pack, stupid light. I packed it several different times last night in preparation for a camping trip this weekend up here in Washington. I figured out that a mega pullout will fit perfectly in the bottom the pack, coincidence? Once I return I will give up a trip report.

BuckarooMedic
02-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Nice score! Please do a write-up when you get back.

Take care,

widowshooter
02-10-2014, 12:11 AM
I did the write up, but put it under the camping section. As for the pack specifically it worked amazingly. I didn't fit it to me before I left and it still felt better than any other pack I've owned. When I got home I re-sized it to fit me. Now it's even better. I fit so much more in this pack than I thought I could. The mega pullouts fit incredibly well in this pack. I loaded two in the bottom-one with clothes, the other with my sleep system. On top of that I put my paratarp, annex, pegs and groundsheet in another large pullout. I placed my FL puffy and chow (in a large pullout) next to that and closed up shop by folding my USGI wet weather bag over itself. Then I placed my "kitchen" (TGI) on top of that. Under the hood I put my 48oz Nalgene and cinched it down. I had my snug pack bivy on one side and my sleep pad on the other. My cold weather mitts were in my long pocket with my snow shovel stuck between it and my 3700. I had a HPG bottle holster on each side with a 24oz Nalgene in them. I was set. Koala lite up front, snowshoes on and away I went. It was the most comfortable I've ever been, even being up front and breaking trail uphill. I've decided to get two more long pockets and then I'll be set.

The only downside is that my paratarp tore just before dark. It was a blessing in disguise though as it forced us to exit camp and head for the house.

BuckarooMedic
02-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Thanx for the reply! I read your write up after I read this thread. Bummer about your tarp. Hopefully Kifaru can fix it and figure out why it ripped.

widowshooter
03-02-2014, 02:16 PM
I now have three more trips with the KU 3700 and each one gets a bit better. I continually learn to pack it better and it is paying dividends during my outings. I now carry three mega pullouts in it, one with clothes, one with my snugpak 40* bag and bivy and my homemade super woobie. They fit so nice inside of the pack and allow the pack to stand upright with out falling over. Very handy. I am currently trying to decide how I want to carry my chow and cook gear, otherwise, everything else is set. I recently picked up two more long pockets for it and that will bring me to a total of three, plus my small pod, grab-it and two HPG water bottle pockets. I mounted the two HPG water bottle pockets on the side, using the existing tab locations and they snapped right in. I carry one 20oz Nalgene bottle in each one and they are easy to get to, put away and are out of the way when traveling. The three long pockets sit up front, I have one top zip and two side zips. The top zip is in the middle and usually holds my OR mitts and my medium pullout with my extremity snivel gear (hats, gloves, neck gaitor). I am not real sure what I want to put into the two other side zips, but I am sure I will figure it out. Right now I am thinking FL puffy in one and chow in the other, with the possibility of putting a spotting scope in there during hunting season. I know one will probably carry my sleep pad and shelter system when an overnight trip is in the works. At any rate, I can say that this is the most pleased I have ever been with a pack.

widowshooter
03-23-2014, 12:21 PM
A buddy of mine picked up a KU 3700 as well this week and it had the 24" stays. He is a bit shorter than I am so we swapped out stays. We had to watch the video a couple of times and aren't nearly as fast as Mr. Smith, but we got it done. I didn't think that I could make this pack any better, but I was wrong. I traded my buddy a small KU pod for one of his cordura mega pullouts to hold my cook gear and chow. Now I am running four and it works well. I don't care much for the side zip long pockets, so I am going to try and trade them for top zips, we shall see how that goes.

beachbunny
03-25-2014, 07:32 AM
pm sent to you widowshooter,BB

widowshooter
03-25-2014, 08:48 AM
PM was responded to.