PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru stove with a Snowtrekker tent?

deepnet
11-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Hello Folks:

I'm getting into hot-tenting, after many years of mulling it over (and many, many years of three season canoe tripping and hiking).

I think the Kifaru tipi tents are very interesting, but for the weather conditions here in Ontario, I'm leaning to a canvas tent, like the Snowtrekker.

But, I really like the light weight of the Kifaru stoves.

So... anyone combined the Snowtrekker tent with a Kifaru stove? I'm concerned about:

- Their stove jack is on the side wall, intended for an angled stove pipe.
- I could use an elbow on the Kifaru stove, but they can't vouch for that configuration working well, since air draw may be an issue.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Dan Pronovost
dan@deepnettech.com

shtfco
11-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Dan,

What exactly is your concern with Kifaru Tipi? Are you feeling it wouldnt be able to stand up to the harsh conditions? I must say we have many users in Canada and Alaska that use the Kifaru Tipi's with great success under some of the harshest conditions and that includes snow wind and rain. I dont have any experience with the snowtrekker but I wanted to point out this fact for you. Best of luck.

Take-a-knee
11-26-2013, 03:55 PM
For a Canuck, who plans to be out in sub zero with little chance of rain, I'd prefer canvas myself, as it'll breathe. If I planned to run a canvas tent though, I'd be looking at a Four Dog stove.

Boywonder
11-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Deepnet,

I'm not sure you would be happy with a UL stove in a canvas tent. Consider the fact the stove needs to heat up a heavy canvas tent, the stove needs to be able to hold more wood then an UL, need to get hotter. You will be able to see your breath in the tent at the opposite end from the UL stove.

You can stand in a Tipi just like a canvas model, you just heat the air space in a Tipi while a Canvas model you have to heat the walls and roof.

Both systems have there place, but you can't put a snowmobile engine in a pick-up truck.

Good luck

deepnet
11-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks folks for the input and advice. It is greatly appreciated!

In the end, I was able to find a second-hand tent and stove in Ontario, at a price I could not refuse. Didn't expect that to be the outcome, but for the price, I have to give it a try!

It's the Kni-co packer stove, and a winterized Cabellas 12x12 tent (with properly sewn in stove jack and floor removed.) I think the tent will have many characteristics of the Kifaru tents (similar fabric, not canvas), so possibly a sufficient (although minimal) stove for that volume. We'll see when I get it! Hard to knock the price in the end.

Thanks again,

Dan

Woods Walker
11-30-2013, 06:45 PM
There is no question in my mind that a Kifaru stove wouldn't heat up a Snowtrekker tent. The output of the Large Kifaru stove is big....BIG. There is also a great deal of adjustability within a Kiffaru collar. I would get the standard box stove because the port is 4 inches on the large. That would mean an inexpensive mild steel elbow would works like I used for under my tarp.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/Daytraderwon/Camp2/IMG_0942.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Daytraderwon/media/Camp2/IMG_0942.jpg.html)

Edit.

I see you got a tent and stove. Will just leave this response anyways. Best of luck in you winter camp!