PDA

View Full Version : Xmas stocking stuffers

JJHACK
11-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I have a 12 year old son. I need some additional ideas, I'm getting some kind of mind block.

He is a passionate outdoors kid. His mom has passed away, so it's just him and I. We hunt and fish and hike/mtn bike every possible moment. He's got a mountain smith day pack, with the things he wants to have where ever we go.

I will get him a leatherman, and a little digital camera. He already has a decent gerber folding knife. I'm thinking a little otter box or small dry bag with moleskin bandaides some basic first aide stuff. Maybe a small LED flashlight?

What else?

Niblick
11-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Red rider BB gun?

widowshooter
11-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Get him a head lamp, this has kept my kids out with me more than anything else. I also have gotten each of them an emergency bivy bag to take in their packs.

jhedine
11-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Ruger 10-22. If you're gun friendly. Inexpensive and a great way to teach gun safety at a early age

widowshooter
11-25-2013, 11:00 PM
I have learned that if I am going to spend money on quality gear for myself, I need to spend a bit on my kids as well. I wouldn't want junk out in the woods with me.

robcollins
11-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Victorinox Swiss Champ. Can be found used reasonably on eBay. (I've got a Leatherman & a SOG, wouldn't get rid of this)
Wood carving knives. Other tools. He can always use tools. A toolbox. Put a Mountainsmith sticker on it, & a Yeti Sticker, & whatever bike company is cool.... (Mine's got MtSmith Cycling, Kifaru, lotsa bike stickers, lotsa bike tools, spare parts, shock oil, hydraulic brake fluid)
Shakespeare telescoping spinning rod that will fit in that Mountainsmith pack with a Pflueger reel.
A Cammenga compass & Topo maps of places you go.
A good book... At 14, Dad bought me The Hobbit, I've still got it.
A longbow, or, a compound. Get judo points for it for thumping ground critters, a reel if there's places to shoot fish.
BSA membership for both of you?

Better still, think back to what YOU thought was cool at 12. My bet is that he'll think it's cool, & he'll think it's cool 'cause it's from YOU.

JJHACK
11-26-2013, 06:35 AM
What great ideas, such a great thread even for adult ideas!

Kmassaro
11-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Find a Garmin Geko or Foretrex GPS. Game calls are always fun. One of those orange funky rubber, shoot it things from Champion. Swiss Army Hunter. McCroskey knife. Some of the Kifaru hanging pouches to organize his daypack. Kifaru hat in orange for his hunting events. Bird hunting vest. Get out of school free card, good for an afternoon rabbit or dove hunt or something.

topher89
11-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Headlamp, an MSR pocket rocket, a magnesium fire starter, a ruger 10/22 or a mark III pistol would all be cool gifts off the top of my head.

Maybe instead of a stocking, hang up a nice dry bag or stuff sack and fill it up with gear

snakey2
11-26-2013, 11:50 AM
+1 on the headlamp idea. Small stuff sacks and plastic containers for the stuff all boy accumulate. Good outdoor clothing mostly to keep him warm and comfortable so the time out is enjoyable, beanie hat, gloves etc.

Kmassaro
11-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Jetboil. Or Pocket Rocket.

bankay
11-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Make him a slingshot.

JJHACK
11-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks folks lots of great ideas!

I have a coyote brown tactical Christmas stocking for him. It's wicked cool!