PDA

View Full Version : PICTURES OF NEW POINTMAN, UN-NAMED PACK? (OLD THREAD!!)

Gunfighter
09-05-2002, 11:48 AM
Kifaru,
Do you have any pictures of the new prototype packs yet? Considering the good work that you did on the EMR/scout I (as well as everyone else) would love to get a sneak peek of the new packs. On another note what would the colors be? Cost?

Semper,
Gunfighter

eggroll
09-05-2002, 02:16 PM
I saw the 'packs' last week , the pointman I saw was in 'boilerplate configuration in that it was nothing but a shell of pack cloth to validate pattern dimensions. My initial impression is that its an enlarged Scout. this impression is bound to change once I see the substantiated prototype.

now what really got my goose was the 'Pack with No Name' sounds Eastwood-esque. This pack, albeit was in protoype form, I was impressed with how well it rode.

this pack was in a 'validation' stage in which the pattern cutout and everything put together to checkout the overall soundness of the design. I'll say if there was ever a pack that fit like a glove, this was it.

approximately 4000 cubes with a sleep sack compartment, there was enough room to stock up on the rest of your materials. the remaining volume after inserting a 0 degree fartsack was equal or more than a LARGE alice and definitely more than the MOLLE main ruck.

based on what I have seen from other manufacturers, I have not seen another pack that fits the bill like this one. I'll say this, I will definitely look at getting one of these packs once they become available.

egg

eggroll
09-05-2002, 02:20 PM
on color offerings....

to paraphrase Henry Ford.... " You can have any color, as long as it is OD"

I cant speak directly to this by my last understanding is that these packs will be offered only in OD

MEL MEL MEL or PAT... any word on this topic?

egg

Razor
09-05-2002, 07:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by eggroll:
now what really got my goose was the 'Pack with No Name' sounds Eastwood-esque. </div></div>"So, do you feel lucky...Egg?" /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Patrick
09-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Hi guys--

By way of collective summary to your several questions, here's what's been happening with the two packs we're working on right now. Most recently I have been out thrashing for several days thru the oak brush looking for bear with full load in the "Pack With No Name". (I kinda like that handle, Egg!) Very comfy, and very stealthy. I REALLY LIKE THIS PACK! Not just as the creator; I must honestly say this sucker is...well, revolutionary (I am loath to use that overworked word, but dang if it ain't appropriate). We have worked many iterations to get a VERY low-bulk suspension system that renders VERY heavy duty load carrying capability. I'm impressed, and I don't impress very easily after 25 years of doing this.

The Pointman is "finished" from the standpoint of patterns being done--we just have to sew it up, with PALS web on Board, and go do something real with it.

Color for us, as we speak, is actually "camo green", as you pros call it. All the operators we talk to keep saying they'll spray paint the things whatever color the mission calls for. So I'm not sure what to do about any other color (or colors) right now. We have much to do in bringing these two new packs to production-ready status, icluding pricing them. So I can't give y'all prices yet, either. Sorry, guys! As to color, what would you like to see aside from the Camo Green? Or is artistry with the ol' spray can your cup of tea?

That's it for now. We'll try to keep you up to speed. Just ask. Mel and I are talking about radio pockets, and a lot of other "fleshing out" kinds of things practically daily. First the packs though. And, we are preparing our submission to the Marine Corps re our gear as possible replacement for MOLLE. Yep, we're an official player in that arena.

Patrick

Nimbo
09-05-2002, 10:25 PM
Very glad to see Kifaru's lineup expanding.

As far as other colors, what else can you do? Could you do woodland and tiger stripe. Maybe Advantage and Mossy Oak?

One possible option would be to offer different packs in different cammo, so that I could put different packs on the frame. Like having an EMR in OD, Woodland, Desert, etc.

Erick
09-05-2002, 10:35 PM
Color-wise, I think that the current OD and the up &amp; coming Coyote Brown that Marine Corps looks to be adopting will handle just about any terrain / climate. But, that's just my opinion.

eggroll
09-06-2002, 12:28 PM
definitely do not expect to see tiger stripe cordura anytime, especially if its the Original Tiger Stripe company's pattern.

as was said earlier, OD is the color that will be in production maybe coyote following suit

thus become familiar with spray paint and get Leonardo on your pack....

I would be more concerned about breaking up the 'SHAPE' of the pack, thus has a sheet of camo netting and some dyed jute would come in quite handy

Recce Gear
09-06-2002, 05:34 PM
I will put my vote in for coyote brown as well, in fact I will probably send you the coyote brown cordura, thread, and webbing for my pointman. If that is ok with you Patrick?

On another note, I saw some pics of the pack with no name. Four words, well five, my god what a pack. I am thoroughly impressed with the design and ingenuity in this pack. This pack should be put on a pedestal for people to marvel at, it is in a league that few will become a part of, if any.

eggroll
09-06-2002, 10:16 PM
did you get the pix from Mel?

boy oh boy did it feel comfy!! :-P hahah

I am eager to see the final product

egg

Recce Gear
09-07-2002, 12:52 PM
I sure did Egg. Mel and I had an extensive phonecon about the Pointman as well as the Pack with No Name. After the Pointman I may be picking on of these up too. This pack will fill another gap in the pack world, in that I dont think there will be another one like it, due to all that it will offer the consumer as far as modularity and functionability. All I have to say is that Patrick is a genious and he is very lucky to have Mel bringing new ideas to the table.

Patrick
09-07-2002, 08:23 PM
drtywk--

Well, I don't know about the genius thing as applied to your's truly, but you have ol' Mel pegged just right. The man is a wealth of knowledge, and ideas, on military stuff. Good team, eh? And thank y'all, too, for the input. We obviously can't do everything everybody wants, but we sure do look at it real carefully. I think the gear will be the best you've ever had for sure. And as multi-purposeful as we can make it.

Patrick

Gunfighter
09-11-2002, 07:35 AM
Pat, Mel,
Hey I keep hearing about pictures but I have not seen anything yet. Pat, if the "Pack With No Name" is in prototype form is there anyway you could post a pic of it? I know there are alot of people who would like to get a sneak peek of this pack.

eggroll
09-11-2002, 09:24 AM
please understand that Kif's keeping this pack underwraps for the time being until they get production started (should be soon at that) anyhow, contact Mel T off-line on email and see what he can do for you

egg

Mel
09-11-2002, 09:43 AM
Gunfighter:

Check your mail!

Mel

Mel
09-11-2002, 09:44 AM
Gunfighter:

Check your mail!

Mel

Mel
09-12-2002, 11:37 PM
Just wanted to update you all on the Pointman and Pack with No Name (that soon to change). The development work is progressing rapidly, and you should see photos of both packs within 2 weeks or less. These will be the first prototypes of the military versions of these packs. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Stay tuned.

Mel

Nimbo
09-13-2002, 09:00 AM
Excellent

Recce Gear
09-28-2002, 05:33 PM
Mel,

Got your e-mail, man the pack looks great. Could you or Patrick shoot me an email in regard to some changes to the webbing layout, the compression straps to be exact. And also about my question about sending some coyote brown material up for my pack.

Drtywk

eggroll
01-12-2006, 01:34 PM
some old background information on what became the Navigator and the Pointman packs, Wow! its been a while /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

ThePrepared_com
01-12-2006, 01:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by eggroll:
some old background information on what became the Navigator and the Pointman packs, Wow! its been a while /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>It wasn't until the the last couple posts that I finally cought on that the thread was old and the packs were already out. I was a bit confused because I was thinking "pointman, I thought I saw that on their site" . For some reason it was reminding me of something else. Kind of cool to see how that all evolved.

Scott

G_MAN
01-13-2006, 11:14 AM
i didn't notice the dates and was about to call and put my order for a MMR on hold until after the "pack with no name" was released.

eggroll
01-13-2006, 11:21 AM
those pesky old posts!! what good are dates anyways /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Just so you know - the PWNN became the NAVIGATOR.

ropeman
01-13-2006, 12:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by ThePrepared_com:
It wasn't until the the last couple posts that I finally cought on that the thread was old and the packs were already out. I was a bit confused because I was thinking "pointman, I thought I saw that on their site" . Scott [/QB]</div></div>I started off thinking "Aww man, I only just got one and now they're upgrading it." Phew.