PDA

View Full Version : INCH type Sleep System and shelter

CoGunsmith
11-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Not sure which forum to start this question.

But looking for sleep system advice from the learned folks on this website's forums.

I am building a bug out bag for the SHTF/INCH condition (I'm never coming home).
There is no resupply, no replacement with the correct seasonal components.
The problem I have is that I live in Colorado where the night temps ranges from say 50 degrees down to minus 20 degrees F or even colder .
With this variability of night temps ; what sleep system should I use?

Further what type of shelter do I need, I have on some occasions observed strong winds and wonder about tents.
For the shelter question at this point just me and possibly my cats.

I have already searched and was unable to find a thread that came near my needs.
Closest one was about the MSS.

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments.

jljmonky
11-18-2013, 06:34 PM
On foot or wheeled or pack animals? All play a role in my opinion. The MSS is a good start if going on the cheap, I can cover about all temp ranges with a woobie, 0 degree bag and a bivy (carry over from the MSS). You can't really beat the tipis for space and wind resistance of packing it in to somewhere. Passing you are going to establish yourself somewhere and build something new. If you have the advantage of pack animals or wheels I would consider heavier mor insulative options, wall tent, gp small, or canvas tipi for long term... just my thoughts.

CoGunsmith
11-18-2013, 06:53 PM
On foot or wheeled or pack animals? All play a role in my opinion. The MSS is a good start if going on the cheap, I can cover about all temp ranges with a woobie, 0 degree bag and a bivy (carry over from the MSS). You can't really beat the tipis for space and wind resistance of packing it in to somewhere. Passing you are going to establish yourself somewhere and build something new. If you have the advantage of pack animals or wheels I would consider heavier mor insulative options, wall tent, gp small, or canvas tipi for long term... just my thoughts.

I would most likely be on foot at least at day N+x.
Might be in pickup at day 1,
No animals forseen at this point.

jljmonky
11-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Floorless tipi type shelter with a stove jack would be the way to go then... I might know a guy with a paratarp for sale.

widowshooter
11-18-2013, 08:26 PM
I have never owned or even been in a tipi, but that would be my choice. I'd at least start out with a solid tarp.

CoGunsmith
11-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Floorless tipi type shelter with a stove jack would be the way to go then... I might know a guy with a paratarp for sale.

I am not sure I understand why a floorless tipi is superior to floored except in winter.
I have seen a most pointed video about floorless shelters in winter.
But not sure how a floorless shelter helps in the other 3 seasons.

shtfco
11-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Hey bro My Tipi is out on loan to a Hunter in Cali as soon as I get it back I will hit you up and have you come over and check it out with the stove running. All your questions above will be answered and youll see why =-).

In order to deal with extreme temps you need to run a stove. In order to Run a stove you cant have a floor in that shelter. That should get you started thinking =-).

Also no floor = less weight for the summer spring fall.