PDA

View Full Version : HELP FOR BLR-81 CHAMBER PROBLEM

Roger Beach
06-23-2004, 06:49 PM
I need some help from the kifaru gang. I bought a Browning BLR-81 in 358 Winchester.

Here is my dilemma. When selecting a load I got lucky. The first one was accurate and fast enough for for me. Bullet placement, bullet placement, yada, yada, yada.

So I quit looking and loaded up enough to do some practice and the trip to Utah for elk. Now I start sizing a bunch of the once fired brass and find a bulge on one side of the cases up about 1/8 of an inch from the extractor groove.

I drop a round in the chamber and it enters the chamber very nearly right up to the extractor groove, so the portion of the case that is bulged is inside the chamber. I drop a once fired case in the chamber. It goes in the same distance. So it is not the unsupported portion of the case that is bulging.

Anyone out there with a similar experience? Am I going to get case head separation?

I ordered some cerrosafe alloy to do a chamber cast, but how the heck do you get it into the chamber of a lever action before it cools?

Come on guys. There is a ton of resources in this group

Siskiyous2
06-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Cerrosafe is a very easy product to work with so your on the right track there. I would probably alter one of those little aluminum funnels to pour it. Maybe even just multiple wraps of aluminum foil. When I cast the 40-65 chamber I just plugged the barrel end with cloth.

I love my BLR in 358. I carry it more each year, but if yours has a serious problem maybe you could lead the way and show me how to convert it to 358-284!

David Walter
06-23-2004, 07:12 PM
are you using 358 brass, or reformed brass?

try loading a light load, and spray the case with Hornady one shot right before you fire. the case will expand to fill the available space (i.e.form fit the chamber).

If this case is bulged, the chamber is cut wrong.

If this case is not bulged, your new cases are misaligned in the chamber. Usually this is not a problem, but if they are bone dry, they grab the chamber walls, and never form to the chamber.

Also, it is unclear if you tried the once-fired case before or after resizing. If before, do the above.

If it is still bad after resizing, it may be the dies.

dww

me
06-23-2004, 07:16 PM
Siskiyous2 is on the right track, but if you preheat and insulate the funnel you will have better luck. If you still have trouble you can warm the gun in the oven to help out a little also. How much is the case bulgeing?

Roger Beach
06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
The bulge (on one side only of the case) pushes the dia. to .4710. It starts out at .4635.

Doesn't the lube on the case cause excess head thrust against the bolt?

Roger Beach
06-23-2004, 07:39 PM
I missed on question.

I am using 358 Winchester brass.

Thanks.

David Walter
06-24-2004, 06:24 PM
BLRs are STRONG. Usually, the problem is overpressure on the case makes extraction hard. The cam-lock on the bolt lugs does not fail under normal use.

Use a minimum load for the 180 grain 358 win with RL 7, or a top load for the 35 remington for your low-power load and you'll be OK.

I do this with 30-06 going to 35 whelen in my remington, the lock up in the BLR is stronger.

If you're inspecting the brass before it goes into the chamber, and it comes out with a bulge, it's a bad chamber. I'd send it back to Browning for repair.

dww