PDA

View Full Version : Zulu Pack Fitting

widowshooter
11-09-2013, 10:11 PM
So I have just gotten a Zulu with an XLT lid. I got it for an amazing price from Ebay, dare I say it. The problem is that it doesn't seem to fit me right, especially with a load. The heavier the load gets, the worse the fit gets. I have an OMNI belt on it and have put everything in it from a sleeping bag to a bag of quikcrete. I have loosened every adjustment and still no joy. After talking with SHTFCO, we have concluded that it might be the stays, they are 19". I think I may need longer ones, but I am thoroughly confused because my MOLLEX has the same size stays and it rides beautifully. I also am not certain that any longer stays will fit in the stay sleeves inside the Zulu. Any help will be thoroughly appreciated. I am used to just carrying my ALICE pack with a ton of junk I will never actually use.

shtfco
11-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Hey bro throw some photos on here of you wearing the pack. That would help alot. Also Pics of your Mollex on you. Want to see where the problem is. Also the Mollex is a lot smaller pack then the zulu correct? That maybe the difference. MOLLEX lower profile snugs to the back easier then the zulu with 3000 ci in it and maybe why you feel like its pulling you back more. But Photos will tell all.

rhunter424
11-10-2013, 07:02 AM
The mollex has always had 21" stays. The G1 Zulu had 19" stays and the G2 has 21" stays.

You cannot put longer stays in any of the omni packs. So what you have is all you're getting as far as shoulder lift goes.

If you do indeed have a G1 Zulu then the previous owner could have bent the stays to their liking. They could have also put the stays in upside down. Compare the shape and bend of your mollex and Zulu stays.

Also, is your mollex a G2?

widowshooter
11-10-2013, 07:24 AM
After I put up the post last night I decided to tear the Zulu apart. I pulled the stays, undid the webbing everywhere and took a look at it. I noticed the stays had a II on each on which lined up correctly with each other when the II was going the same direction. I also tightened up the shoulder straps at the top where they connect to the pack. I replaced almost every buckle as well. Once all of these adjustments were done I reloaded the Zulu. It was a complete 180 from the previous fittings. Now I just need to add some real weight to make sure everything is good to go. I have the XLT lid, but I am not too sure I care for it. It's just too much for me right now.

I have no idea how to tell if my MOLLEX is a G1 or G2. I do know that I still like it better than the Zulu.

rhunter424
11-10-2013, 08:54 AM
The easiest way of telling G1 and G2 apart is the lumbar pad. If the black triangle has a black rectangle around it then its G2.

widowshooter
11-10-2013, 01:14 PM
It is a G1, just the triangle. After looking at it again this morning, I think it needs to be washed a couple of times. It is really dirty. I have fully decided that I am not a fan of this pack or this lid. I am not sure why, it is VERY functional for what I will use it for, but it doesn't seem to ride nearly as nice as my MOLLEX. For now I will continue to work with it until I fully decide its future.

rhunter424
11-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Yeah there's a reason why the G2 zulu has 21" stays ;) There's some of us that just barely miss the 19" torso shoulder lift where the G1 zulu isn't quite as bad.

widowshooter
11-11-2013, 08:22 PM
I definitely got the back to fit me right. I just need to get used to it. It reminds me of my ALICE pack as it fills out from me, not up and down like my MOLLEX. In the next few weeks I will be carrying the Zulu on training hikes to get acquainted with it better.

DWarcher
11-12-2013, 01:15 PM
How tall are you widow?

widowshooter
11-12-2013, 09:06 PM
I am 5' 10", not big. My MOLLEX fits me just fine, but this Zulu is still a work in progress.

robcollins
11-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Mel really helped me a lot with my EMR, I thought I knew what I was doing after owning a few 5000+ci Mountainsmith packs & an MMR. I was wrong. Definitely worth a pm, Mel's super helpful, as are the folks in the shop.

That said, my Mollex fits like butta...

widowshooter
11-12-2013, 11:52 PM
I may have to do that, thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.

shtfco
11-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Widow when you come out next year we need to make sure we get you over to the shop to meet everyone. Youll need a day in Denver to Acclimated anyways.

widowshooter
11-13-2013, 08:28 AM
I was given a new set of orders, I will be moving to Kansas City next July. Now I will be even closer......I can make a trip to see the parents and the in-laws in a day with a side trip to Kifaru.

widowshooter
11-15-2013, 02:32 PM
I took the advice and contacted Mel on the proper fitting of a Zulu. I will contact him tonight and get it fitted properly finally.