PDA

View Full Version : Hoisting a Heavy Ruck

HarpT
11-09-2013, 07:14 PM
So, I'm loading up my pack and getting it configured and adjusted for my upcoming trip and I think, "Maybe I'll try getting the pack on how Patrick showed in that video." Usually, I take the grab loop at the top of the frame in my left hand and grab the right shoulder strap with my other hand. I hoist it up by the grab loop and slide my shoulder in. This has always worked well for me especially with heavy loads. But I noticed Patrick pulling it up by both shoulder straps and setting it on his knee and then sliding his shoulder in on a demonstration video. I've never done it that way but I figured I'd give it a try.

My pack has about 80 lbs. in it with all my gear, water and food for an upcoming trip. Anyway, I do it like I saw in the video and as soon as I slide my shoulder in I hear a ripping sound! I think, "Oh, sh#t! Something tore!" I take the pack off to inspect for damage and sure enough, the thread has torn on the padding or housing part that the shoulder strap slides up and down inside of where it connects to the frame at the edge on the top. 1 -3 stitches have pulled loose (hard to tell for sure, I don't recall scrutinizing that part of the pack before it happened so I don't really know what it looked like.) I would fix it myself but have no idea how to get a needle and thread through the frame sheet material. At any rate, repairs will have to wait because I do not have time to get the pack off to Kifaru before I leave for my trip.

Sourdough
11-09-2013, 07:24 PM
One more reason that I own 46 or 47 backpacks.

HarpT
11-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Shh###t. I practically put my life savings into buying this one! But it should be alright for this trip. I'll be mindful of it and gentle handling it in ways that might stress this particular area. And by the way, what happened? Did you lose count? What do you mean "or"?

Exploriment
11-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your pack.

Don't know if I would do this with a pack weighing 80 pounds, but the way I usually put my pack on is by means of the Mochilero Backflip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACE2GUqtZnw).

HarpT
11-09-2013, 07:56 PM
The way I usually put it on works just fine. That's the way I've always done it. I just find it a bit humorous that when I decided to do it a different way (because that's the way Patrick showed it on his video) it resulted in damage to the pack. I am familiar with the method you're referring to (flipping the pack over your back from the ground in front of you) but I think my method is even better because the pack isn't flipped all upside down.

I grab the loop at the top of the frame on the bag or frame with my left hand and put my right hand underneath of it to grab the right shoulder strap. I then hoist with my left hand (carrying most of the weight by the grab loop but also pulling with the right on the shoulder strap) allowing it to go behind my head as my shoulder slides into the harness. I do not let go of the grab loop until the pack is secure so when the harness falls into place on my shoulder my left hand is still on the loop behind my head supporting the weight and balance. I then let go of the loop after it is securely placed on my shoulder and proceed to secure the left shoulder.

Ralph
11-09-2013, 07:57 PM
FWIW: I have always put on packs the way Patrick demonstrates. doubt I ever carried more than 50 lbs, though.

HarpT
11-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Well, 30 of it is food and water for a two week excursion in the Gifford Pinchot. I'd say about 10 of it is pack weight. I got my fishing gear and a few items that could be replaced with lighter weight items at the price of function and comfort. But, I don't mind. The weight will be difficult at first up the initial grades but the pack will get lighter the longer I'm out. And it won't take more than 3 twelve mile days to get to the first location.

Take-a-knee
11-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Grasp both packstraps near the top. VIGOROUSLY "clean" the pack upwards. Squat and drop into a lunge position. Pack lands on the thigh of your forward leg. Slip the same side arm as the forward leg into position. Slide the other hand down and grab the packstrap low and tilt your torso forward, placing the pack into position on your back. Stand and fasten the waistbelt. This is a practical application of a basic barbell movement.

HarpT
11-09-2013, 08:47 PM
I think I'll stick to doing it "my way" as I've never had a problem even with heavy loads (80 lbs. +). The only difficulty I encounter the way I described hoisting the bag is that if I'm wearing a baseball cap when I reach the top of the movement and my left forearm is coming over the top of my head as my left hand moves behind my head that I tend to whack the bill of the hat. But if I remember to watch for this it usually doesn't happen. I'll take a video clip (if I can figure out how) so you can see for yourself. It works well. I wasn't doing it the way Patrick showed on the video (which seems the same as what you're describing) because I was having problems the way I usually do it, but just wondered if it was a better way. And now my pack has some stitches that ripped loose, so that's about enough experimentation for now! Thanks.

walkingxthunder
11-09-2013, 09:30 PM
I do it the way TAK described.....or I set it on a tailgate or bench and slide into it that way.

boom
11-09-2013, 09:35 PM
I think I'll stick to doing it "my way" as I've never had a problem even with heavy loads (80 lbs. +). The only difficulty I encounter the way I described hoisting the bag is that if I'm wearing a baseball cap when I reach the top of the movement and my left forearm is coming over the top of my head as my left hand moves behind my head that I tend to whack the bill of the hat. But if I remember to watch for this it usually doesn't happen. I'll take a video clip (if I can figure out how) so you can see for yourself. It works well. I wasn't doing it the way Patrick showed on the video (which seems the same as what you're describing) because I was having problems the way I usually do it, but just wondered if it was a better way. And now my pack has some stitches that ripped loose, so that's about enough experimentation for now! Thanks.

i actually do it your way as well..well similar.. the irony of the other way, is not escaping me. hehe.

i hope it all holds. i did an elk hunt once with a junk $45 pack. the packs started to tear on the "mount" when i was loading it up. it would have been game over if it let go.

hope your trip goes well, and your pack holds.

i hold the pack by that same lifting strap, both hands...lift it up and hold it high and lower onto both shoulders..but i dont do 80..kudos to you that you can. when i tried patricks method..i strained my right shoulder. not bad, but enough to not try it again. i have the flexibly of a board.

boom
11-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your pack.

Don't know if I would do this with a pack weighing 80 pounds, but the way I usually put my pack on is by means of the Mochilero Backflip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACE2GUqtZnw).

this is a young man's move!! best left to the packs full of board shorts and flip flops..on those backpack thru thailand trips. try that with an elk load..ouch. cool video tho..thanks. i would destroy a bow held in a pack..or knock it out of tune for sure.

HarpT
11-09-2013, 09:54 PM
I think you guys might be surprised how easy the way I'm showing is. This video clip is with an 80 lb. pack. I can do this with substantially more. Now, if I can figure it out I'll have it posted here in a few minutes.
http://youtu.be/CGXtzgfwIGQ

Sorry about the bad lighting and the fact you can't see my legs. Previous posts I've made in this thread should give enough description to the action taking place. Also, I didn't realize there was a mic on the camera, so sorry for any heavy breathing and/or grunting.

shtfco
11-09-2013, 11:10 PM
See this Video on how to adjust, fit, load and put on a Backpack properly. Patrick does it perfectly here. =-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQXDvtWbh8&hd=1

HarpT
11-10-2013, 12:04 AM
I've seen the way Patrick likes to do it and in my opinion the way I show in the video linked in my previous post is quicker, easier and just as safe (i.e. - better.) And, concerning the stitches that popped loose; I found the existing holes through the frame panel where they were before and went back through them with #69 coyote thread and with the needle double threaded. Did some overhand stitches all the way down 3 or 4 stitches past the last stitches which were still tight. Looks clean: good as new!