PDA

View Full Version : Irish setters elk trackers

live2hunt
11-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Does anyone have any experience with theses boots in elk hunting? I just bought a pair fie whitetail hunting here in Missouri and think they are well suited for the task, but I am wondering how they fare in the high country. They are pretty comfortable but seem to have a softer ankle than I was expecting.

shtfco
11-07-2013, 11:29 PM
hey L2L its baby brother is my go to boot http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/irishsetter-shoe/878-irish-setter/878-irish-setter-hunt-mens-7-inch-boot-mutoid The uninsulated Trailblazers. Same boot but 8 inch instead of 10 inch. Ive put them through hell and they take a beating. Kept my feet dry even walking through ankle deep marsh type terrain. I am completely sold on the Irish Setters. They are my backpacking go to elk hunting boot. I would of gotten the Elk trackers but they where out and Im glad I went with the 8inch instead of 10 inch boot as I am not a fan of a boot that high.

live2hunt
11-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks shtfco. They seem comfortable. My only concern was the ankles aren't that rigid and I read that you want good "torsional rigidity" for siding hills. Here there is no real call for that or an exceptionally tough boot either for that matter. Its all pretty flat.

shtfco
11-08-2013, 07:55 AM
you Definitley want some flexibility on the side walls or it cause some issues.

widowshooter
11-12-2013, 08:10 AM
I have often wondered about those same boots. One of the local stores here in my town carries them and they look like a solid, useable boot. I used to wear my Asolo's on all of my outdoor adventures, but they have taken a beating and now need some serious repair on the sole. I bought a pair of the Meindel Denali boots from Cabelas a few months ago and they are really nice. I still don't have them completely broken in, but they are getting there.

live2hunt
11-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I have only been able to seriously use them once so far on a 9 mile whitetail hunt with about 35 lbs of gear on my back. They are no miracle cure but I have already been having trouble with my feet. They are however a vast improvement over my other boots and kept my feet warm and dry. I don't imagine packing that far with weight on will ever be easy on my feet though. They seem tough and well made but a little soft in the ankles.

disillusionedpatriot
11-12-2013, 10:12 AM
They look pretty good. For hiking in steep terrain I think a non-ramped heel is necessary, which these boots do have. I've never cared for the "bob" sole pattern, the half-round dot area is inferior for traction IMO, even though it's just in the center.

Some sort of sole stiffener, either plastic or metal, is better in rocky terrain, so you can "hang" your toes on rock points and into other footholds instead of always having your foot flex. (This is unlike for actual rock climbing.)