PDA

View Full Version : Cigars?

flamingo 7
10-29-2013, 10:06 AM
We've just gotten news that our first grandchild has arrived. I don't smoke (I've enough vices) and would like to get a good box of cigars. Any recommendations? I've got Champaign taste and a beer budget. By the way Colton John Rhoades was 7.5 pounds and 19" long. I'm not sure why the length is important, maybe the hospital has a slot limit. Is it too soon to start buying his guns?

MikeB1273
10-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Congrats to both the parents & grand parents. I can't answer the cigar question. As for guns & gear, it's cheaper now than it will be in 10 years.

74 or more
10-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Hey congrats!

How much are you looking to spend?

My everyday smoke is a Padron 3000 maduro:
http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/PADRON-3000-MADURO-ROBUSTO/73573.uts?cm_vc=10593&cm_sp=Recommended*Search*NA

If you want to spend a little more money the Padron 1964 is very, very good:
http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/PADRON-1964-ANIVERSARIO-EXCLUSIVO-MADURO-ROBUSTO/73009.uts?cm_vc=10601&cm_sp=Browse*PD*NA

For a beer budget the 3000s are your best bet. Any good smoke shop in your area should have them. If not Thompson Cigar (the links) has good prices. You absolutely can't go wrong with a Padron. If you get a box, let me know if you like them.

snakey2
10-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Congratulations. My first grand kid was born last May. I know nothing about cigars but a +1 on MikeB's comment about guns never being cheaper in the future than they are now.

Half-Hitch
10-30-2013, 07:14 AM
Congrats! If you have a cigar shop near where you live you can look for "factory seconds." Many cigar makers pick out cigars that have some slight blemish that prevents them from being sold as premium and bundle them together as "seconds" or "throw-outs." Often come in bundles of 20, for around $20. That should suit your beer budget.

flamingo 7
10-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. Household 6 is really short sighted. She does not agree that a Dakota 76 in 257 Roberts is a suitable christening gift. Course I'd have to hold on to it until he comes of age, like 6 or so.

snakey2
10-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Not a christening gift??? That is a gift for any occasion to anybody (and if they don't like it they can give it back)!

boom
10-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Congrats! If you have a cigar shop near where you live you can look for "factory seconds." Many cigar makers pick out cigars that have some slight blemish that prevents them from being sold as premium and bundle them together as "seconds" or "throw-outs." Often come in bundles of 20, for around $20. That should suit your beer budget.

^^this!

there is a cigar shop in Denver that does this. downside, you typically dont get a box. they come wrapped up like a tiny stack of firewood. awesome deals!!

i dont know squat about cigars..usually have one last day of deer/elk camp. as a group goodbye. i can feel how addictive they can be..i try not to indulge.

congrats on the kid!!

74 or more
10-31-2013, 07:31 AM
If your looking for good factory seconds here are some good ones (unless your looking to spend less):

Rocky Patel:
http://www.thompsoncigar.com/catalog/search.cmd?keyword=ROCKY+PATEL+FACTORY+OVERRUNS+SE RIES+RE

mark s
10-31-2013, 08:06 AM
Congrats. Don't have any ideas on cigars though, unless you have an in at Customs and can liberate a box of Cubans they are "storing" for me. I would also suggest some good chocolate cigars for those who don't smoke.