PDA

View Full Version : Question about pack weights with different stays

Jay03
10-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I am curious what the weight difference would be between aluminum and the composite stays in the 20-22" lengh packs..(spike camp/express). And if there would be any other advantage going with composite over aluminum other than weight? Basically is it worth the cost to go with composite on the medium size and smaller packs?

shtfco
10-21-2013, 09:57 PM
I learned early on that its not as good of a trade off for the composites. The Aluminum stays you can bend to your back comfort. Composites you cannot do that. I will take the extra weight of the Aluminum anyday over non customizable composite stays. My 2 Cents.

live2hunt
10-21-2013, 11:35 PM
I learned early on that its not as good of a trade off for the composites. The Aluminum stays you can bend to your back comfort. Composites you cannot do that. I will take the extra weight of the Aluminum anyday over non customizable composite stays. My 2 Cents.

So you prefer duplex to bikini even at extra weight?

shtfco
10-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Keep in mind my answer is my personal preferrence. Others may feel differently and by no means am I claiming anything other my preference.
To answer your question yes I will take a duplex over the bikini any day. More versatility.. and options for the way I use my pack with the duplex. Bikini is a great lightwieght solution but I enjoy the stifness and different configurations you can do with the duplex. being able to remove my bag and setup a load hauler is a huge advantage over the wieght savings you get from the bikini. Othes may feel differently though.

shtfco
10-22-2013, 12:14 AM
but his question was in regards to aluminum to composit stays. I guess you could eqaute this also in the same thought process.

I had a t2 with composit stays and I just couldn't get it to work for me. couldn't keep the waist belt above my hip bone. switched to the mmr with the aluminum stays and I got adjusted perfectly to my back profile which fixed my problem.

rhunter424
10-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Here's a thread to reference for the weight savings:
http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=32681

Jay03
10-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Is there any noticeable difference between the aluminum and composite as far as stiffness and strength is concerned in the 21" stays. Pack will most likely never have more than 30-35lbs in it. And that's on the heavy side. I have a duplex frame but it has the regular composite stays. Seems to fit me well but its all I have tried so I guess I wouldn't know the difference anyway. I like to keep the weight down and 7-8 ounces is significant in my book but only if everything else remains fairly equal as far as durability is concerned. Thanks for the reply's so far.

mark s
10-22-2013, 12:48 PM
I don't know about the 20 and 22 in stays, but I put in 26 in composite stays into my G1 long hunter. I haven't seen any change in performance, and I got to drop 9 oz. My impression is that the composite stays are stiffer (they don't bend at all). I would be impressed (or really worried for you and your pack) if you found a way to break them. The only worry (if you are handicapped like me) is messing up the fit (via all the strap adjustments) of your pack when you swap them out. The only reasons I see to not get the composite stays are money and the possibility that the normal or flat back stays don't fit your back and you need to bend the aluminum stays to get the best fit.