PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Aids for Hunters

Yolla Bolly
10-21-2013, 01:06 AM
I did a quick search and found nothing. So I am interested to know if anyone has had experience with hearing aids. Too many loud noises back in 1970 have left me with some loss. I went to an EENT and had an audiogram done: said the loss was minimal, but I notice that birds fly and animals move that I don't hear like I would have a few decades ago. I am interested in noise suppression for firearm use, and water "proofness"????? for when I fall in the crik or out of the kayak, as well as amplification of low volume sounds.
Thanks.

snakey2
10-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Yolla B I am in the same boat as you, "minimal loss" according to the audiologist but sure seems like more than it is. Seems the areas of loss correspond to the frequencies that I want to hear (especially rattlesnakes). I have tried one pair of amplifying head phones, and while they did enhance sounds they were also bulky and bothersome. I think a hearing aid would be just the ticket but as yet cost has kept me from it. Let me know what you learn.

shtfco
10-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Same Boat here also. It drives the wife nuts. I have about 30% loss and its mid range tones. Human Voice Tones that is. I can hear real high and low but in midrange I cant hear very well. Im not a big fan of crap in my ears but Im afraid if I dont do something soon the wife will disown me =-).

Yolla Bolly
10-21-2013, 11:43 AM
I notice that all three of us have that six-letter word under our "names", the one that starts with "ESS"----Is there a trend here?

shtfco
10-21-2013, 11:45 AM
hahahaha! nice observation there. Well I do get the AARP Junk Mail but Im only 43 I dont feel Im a Senior yet. =-)

snakey2
10-21-2013, 01:22 PM
I am 61 and all of that shooting I did when I was young and NO one wore hearing protection has caught up. It would be nice if someone would make a enhancing/noise canceling thing that was small and unobtrusive. It would need to act as hearing aid and protection both just like some of the ear muffs out there now. I would pay a fair bit for something like that.

Half-Hitch
10-21-2013, 05:55 PM
This may be something along the lines of what you are looking for.

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/eb15le.html

I have never used them, so I can't tell you how good or bad they may be, but I've come across them on the inter-toobs while searching for noise cancelling/enhancing ear plugs.

snakey2
10-22-2013, 09:44 AM
They look good, thanks.

robcollins
10-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Here's a company that makes headsets for the Army that enhance hearing and protect it in presence of loud noises: http://soldiersystems.net/tag/tea/ although it's probably more cost/function than you need, they are developing new stuff with technology that may trickle down, so it may be worth checking out.

Walker's Game Ear is marketed for hunters without the communication function built in. They enhance hearing, and shut off when loud noises show up. There are a few others out there, searching Cabela's website turned up 3.2 kajillion. My thinking is that an in-ear might be less hot, but, the drawbacks are interference from wind noise that drove me nuts even with the Walker Game Ear.

Lab-Roamer
10-22-2013, 05:40 PM
I would NOT recommend the Walker Game ear. Both of mine "died" within 2 years with probably 4 months of use total. The company said they would give me %50 percent off on 2 more but when your Shelling out over 5 bones I told them I would bring my business elsewhere. Go read the reviews on Cabela's that I should have listened too(no pun intended).

Yolla Bolly
10-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the links---will pursue.

circles
10-27-2013, 05:56 AM
You might take a look at these http://www.earinc.com/p1-electronic.php

I took the advertising in when I visited my audiologist. She was not familiar with the product and they didnít carry anything like them. But she did say that they appeared to have the same kind of technology as the programmable hearing aids she sold. I took that as an indication it was a good product. But she also said it usually took 2 or 3 follow up visits to tweek the programming and get it just right. She didnít see how they could do that through the mail. So I didnít pursue it any farther.

Yolla Bolly
11-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks, all.
This looks like another long, expensive, multi-faceted search. Mom said aging was't for sissys.

DWarcher
11-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I've been using these for the past two years:

http://sportear.com/shop/custom-series/custom-812/

Luckily insurance picked up some of that bill.
-Dave

Bc9696
11-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Hunt with a bow.

Yolla Bolly
11-11-2013, 11:13 AM
I do---still deaf.