PDA

View Full Version : Pack goats

DeepMauka
10-20-2013, 07:11 PM
A friend was telling me about pack goats, and the idea has got me intrigued. There is a place I hunt goats, and they are everywhere. On occasion we have come upon some herds, spooked them, and in the mayhem (from the goats perspective), the little ones have been split. Most often they hide in little caves. A friend of mine caught a couple and took home for pets for his little girls.

After hearing about the idea of pack goats, it got me thinking about catching a couple little ones for me to raise and train up to be one day pack goats. Is this a feasible plan, or just a pipe dream?

Also, does anyone have any literature on the subject of raising/training/etc of pack goats they can point me to so I can learn more? Books or websites? Thanks.

shtfco
10-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Check your state laws its illegal to use pack goats around wild goats or ram as it passes diseases So make sure your aware of the laws in your state. just an FYI

shtfco
10-20-2013, 08:17 PM
We have Kifaru members who use and raise goats for this purpose. He was out at the Rondy this year with them. Pretty cool. They can haul 50 to 60 lbs from what Ive heard.

major
10-20-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't use them as pack animals, but I do count them amongst the animals on my farm. That being said, mine will follow you around like little puppy dogs and could easily be staked out on a lead and left to forage for food. They are quite docile if raised around people and conditioned to people.

widowshooter
10-20-2013, 10:30 PM
We used quite a few of them overseas to carry goods in the mountains of Afghanistan. They did their job, it was difficult at times so I am sure raising them yourself would make it even easier. I want some goats but the MRS. says no.......for now.

DeepMauka
10-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Check your state laws its illegal to use pack goats around wild goats or ram as it passes diseases So make sure your aware of the laws in your state. just an FYI

I live in Hawaii, and there are no such regulations. The goats I would be getting for packing would be the feral goats we are allowed to hunt year round from the wild, not domesticated ones.

shtfco
10-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Man Id love to hunt some goats haha that would be fun. I wish Colorado was overran with Feral pigs like Texas. Id have so much fun. Id be out there daily filling the freezer =-).

DeepMauka
10-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Man Id love to hunt some goats haha that would be fun. I wish Colorado was overran with Feral pigs like Texas. Id have so much fun. Id be out there daily filling the freezer =-).

We have both!! Haha. There are plenty goats and pigs to fling arrows at here in Hawaii (or bullets of that's your fancy) . You can take 2 a day, everyday, all year long of both species and either ***. No shortage of meat in my freezer. God's grocery store always provides :). You just have to be willing to make the hike and put in the time.

Yolla Bolly
10-21-2013, 01:44 AM
I have walked into camps in a couple of local wilderness areas where hunters have packed in with goats. In both cases, they were very pleased with the results: they were "hand raised" by the folks who were hunting, and moved through the terrain ahead of them. The deer were not spooked by them in any way, allowing some close approaches. They browsed along: no need to carry feed. Sure surprised me when I topped the ridge........

DeepMauka
10-24-2013, 04:27 PM
I have walked into camps in a couple of local wilderness areas where hunters have packed in with goats. In both cases, they were very pleased with the results: they were "hand raised" by the folks who were hunting, and moved through the terrain ahead of them. The deer were not spooked by them in any way, allowing some close approaches. They browsed along: no need to carry feed. Sure surprised me when I topped the ridge........

That's what I was hoping for. Guessed that they would be less "suspicious" to game animals supposed to mules or horses.

Anybody with recommended literature?