PDA

View Full Version : Koala Attachment

CraigS
10-17-2013, 04:13 PM
OK, I'm a new poster here on the forum but a long-time customer. Please forgive if I'm asking a repetitive question.

The Koala is a new idea since I last purchased something. The new website layout is not quite as informative as before, so I'm not sure of how the Koala Lite actually attaches. From the photos it looks like it might attach to the shoulder straps of a pack on the front, not very convenient if the pack is off and on frequently. Can anyone give me a brief rundown of how the Koala Lite integrates with say a Scout or a TG I?

Thanks,

Craig

rhunter424
10-17-2013, 04:52 PM
The koala and koala lite can both be worn as a chest rig, separated from the pack. So you would put on the koala first, then the pack. You will need the x-harness and waist belt to do this. With the scout and the tailgunner that's about your only option I think.

Now if you have a pack with load lifters (express and up) you can get the optional koala lift kit. This takes the weight of the koala and puts it on the stays of the pack. This is where you are seeing the pictures of where the koala looks attached to the pack.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

widowshooter
10-27-2013, 10:56 PM
I am getting my Koala Lite on the 31st of October. Once I get it and get it figured out I will try and send you some info, maybe a picture or two.

widowshooter
10-31-2013, 08:55 PM
So I had my Koala Lite come in today and it is much bigger than I thought. However, I am going to have to change the way the X straps are criss-crossed on my back. The metal tribar is less than comfortable and will not see any use from me. I will make a trip to Tactical Tailor tomorrow and get one of the flat triangle they use on their chest rig set ups. The X straps are really, really long, I may end up trimming them down a bit. Right now I have a plastic tribar on each strap to help manage some of the excess webbing. To attach it to my pack, I will use the excess webbing from my load lifters on my MOLLEX and run them through the male portion of the FASTEX buckle and place a female FASTEX buckle on each of the tabs on the top of the Koala. I will use the chest strap to my MOLLEX to secure the bottom via gremlins. Once I get this all together, I will throw some pictures up.

rhunter424
11-01-2013, 05:52 AM
What about the metal tri-glide is uncomfortable for you? When I had initially set up my koala lite the tri-bar and straps were rubbing against my neck. I had to lower the tribar a lot and it became much more comfortable.

I was able to re-thread the extra webbing through the metal tri-glide. I've also used elastic keepers to manage the extra webbing.

widowshooter
11-01-2013, 08:16 AM
I couldn't seem to get it to lay flat against my back quite right. I am not sure why. I tried to move it up and down my back and space the webbing out across it, but I just couldn't make it work right for me. I am also rather picky about how I wear my gear so that doesn't help things either.

rhunter424
11-01-2013, 08:48 AM
I prefer an h-harness more than the cross style straps myself.

widowshooter
11-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I agree, I am having my wife look at my set-up to see how to build me an H harness.

techbrute
11-01-2013, 10:25 PM
I've found that I prefer wearing the Lite with just the X-harness and no waist belt. I have the load lifters, but I guess I just don't carry enough weight in it to need them, so I don't use them. I just put the Lite on, the put the pack on and it rides great. Plus, when I set my pack down on the trail or at camp, it keeps important things close at hand.

I typically carry a pistol, two mags, the low-profile pocket with a snack, my phone or camera, a multi-tool, and a RITR notepad and pen in the Lite. I wish the low profile pocket had an elastic strap like the standard pocket, for just a little organization.

I strap my Garmin 401 on the handle on the top, it's very convenient for marking waypoints, etc.

widowshooter
11-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I wore my Lite today on a 3.5 mile trek into the Washington mountains. I attached the Lite to my pack using the excess load lifter webbing from the pack. Good in theory, horrible in practice. I will just use my X harness from this point out.

I also enjoy being able to have my pack off and keeping Lite handy and attached to me, like I intended in the first place.

Smart Idea on the Garmin 401, I will have to steal that one.