PDA

View Full Version : wool clothing care

beachbunny
10-13-2013, 12:12 PM
hup, new topic,no more lamenting over the big sky while staring at broad salt marshes with waves breaking on the shore.
now I know a lot of folk like new tech clothes but I am wool folk.
I wash all my things a couple times/year and air dry it all and store in cedar. still some of the older stuff looks like it gets chewed on.
how do the rest of you wool users care for their wool?
thanks

74 or more
10-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I wash my wool garments on the gentle cycle, by themselves, with woollite and air dry it. I store it all in a spare MSS carrier in my closet.

All of my stuff is good as new. But you might be harder on your wool than me. What kind of wool are you buying? A lot of wool products are dry clean only. I know a lot of (if not all) Woolrich and Filson wool garments are dry clean only. The parts you said look chewed on, could it be some kind of friction wear from a pack, for example?

Sawtooth
10-13-2013, 07:12 PM
I have four Pendleton shirts, that I've hunted, fished, and backpacked with, that are going on 25 years old. All of them have been dry cleaned only. They pretty much look like they did when they were new, aside from a few small repairs over the years. They've hung on hangers in my closet all this time, except when they were stuffed in duffels and backpacks. I have two merino wool base layer tops and two bottoms, all Patagonia. I machine was them and hang dry.

Browtine
10-13-2013, 08:28 PM
All Icebreaker stuff for me. Washed on gentle cycle and hang dried. Stored in my wifey's little cedar chest.

patrat
10-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Luckily colorado does not support clothes moth life very well, so storage is not much an issue. For cleaning, my Bosch Nexxt machine has a wool cycle. I use 7th generation unscented detergent, white vinegar in the "softener" cup. Air dry flat or hanging. The only thing that I may have seen shrinkage with, and very slight, is my Filson whipcord trousers. I suspect I grew instead.

I regularly launder my "dry clean only" wool and silk clothing this way. I won't mess with a suit jacket though, as they have adhesives that can come undone.

If we move to an environment with moths, I will have to invest in some cedar, rosemary, or airtight plastic.

beachbunny
10-17-2013, 07:33 PM
I get wide variety of things,KOM,woolpower,ibex,plus a ton of merino pullovers at the church thriftshop,dime a dozen there it's great.
i'll try woolite,never really thought about that.
i'm just trying to stop them from getting chewed on but I never see any bugs or corpses in with them,maybe I pack them to tight. what do you think white vinegar is used for.?

74 or more
10-18-2013, 07:18 AM
You might want to try Nikwax too. It's made specifically for wool base layers but I suspect it's good for all wool clothing.

http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=470

I don’t know how this will help with what sounds like a bug issue (i.e. “chewed” on) but it’ll help take care of your wool garments.

shu
10-18-2013, 08:43 AM
I would never use Woolite to wash wool gear--its high pH causes fulling and may strip lanolin. Detergents like Ivory Snow (laundry) and Dawn (dishwashing) are gentler and more effective.

FYI if you ever want to know what is easiest on fabric (and people) while getting out the worst messes just check out the baby diaper forums.

74 or more
10-18-2013, 09:44 AM
I would never use Woolite to wash wool gear--its high pH causes fulling and may strip lanolin. Detergents like Ivory Snow (laundry) and Dawn (dishwashing) are gentler and more effective.

FYI if you ever want to know what is easiest on fabric (and people) while getting out the worst messes just check out the baby diaper forums.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Woolite's pH is 7.0 making it neutral. Or are you saying that it should be lower than that for wool clothing?

one-eyed Bob
10-18-2013, 04:35 PM
If it is just dirt, I don't wash it. Think of it as camo...

shu
10-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Woolite's pH is 8.0 according to the MSDS. They now make a variety of products however so they may have something less alkaline than the original.

beachbunny
10-21-2013, 12:44 PM
whoops and I just went out and bought some woolite too!