PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmithing Schools

06-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Is anyone familiar with the Colorado School of Trades gunsmithing program? Due to a non-work related injury, it seems that my current career as a police officer is, at minimum, on hold for some time, or perhaps over. Fortunately, I had a good benefit package with an insurance policy that covers such circumstances. The insurance company has suggested possible retraining. Prior to being a cop I was a mechanic, and I was the department armorer, so this type of work interests me. Colorado School of Trades was listed in the Midway catalog's article on 'smithing schools, but I'd like to hear about the program from someone with first hand knowledge, if possible. Thanks, BrianH

flamingo 7
06-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Brian,

I worked for a couple of summers for a graduate of the Colorado School of Trades. He was a super repairman and a practicle buisnessman. I suspect that CST focuses on core basics and that there isn't much emphisis on fancy work. Jim could do fancy work but it appeared that was because of his nature not training. If you are truely intrested do yourself a favor and check out Trinidad State Jr. College. They have a slew of programs and I'd bet you could tailor something to fit your need. Be warned...gun repair and custom work is a hard row to hoe, but you won't have to worry about being in the top tax bracket.

hcgunsmith
06-08-2004, 05:05 AM
Brian
I am a CST graduate. I will say I thought the program was excellent. I considered most of the other programs around the country. What I decided was that CST did a better job than most at providing the technical knowlege but less on the specific skills. No program is going to make you a gunsmith. There are many that will provide you enough information to enter the industry and stay out of trouble. I spent two years working for someone before going out on my own. I would say that is probably a bit fast but the job I had affooded me the chance to see and work on a very large number of guns and guns of every type and shape. I spend a great deal of time, effort , and money expanding my skill and knowlege base. There are very few things I do the same way as I was instructed in school but I do understand why it was presented in the way it was. If you would like I would be happy to talk with you. 303.774.1746