PDA

View Full Version : Overkill?

ron finkbeiner
09-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Hello gentle folks, I have on occasion asked silly questions in the past and I suppose this may move along that same tact. I have never owned a Kifaru product of any kind although I had a real Jones for the Express and the X-ray but because of my large stature I never did get one. My question is I guess is the Xing Overkill for my needs? I am merely an over the road truck driver who enjoys getting some nice things from time to time but never anything along the lines like this before. It would serve as an edc bag for me when the need arises. I am big 6ft 5inches and 390 lbs and I feel the Xing would be a good fit size wise. Am I right about this or any s this an Overkill purchase? Understand I mean no harm or disrespect to Mr. Smith or any of the company. All I have used to date is mostly Eagle Industries and Tactical Tailor. This will be the first time I will be saving for a high end product. Again, I thank you in advance for your time and patience with me.

robcollins
09-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Ron,
I've got an X-Ray, & a Mollex, (among other Kifaru packs) and I was among those wishing for the Xing.

The X-Ray was my first Kifaru. I'd been struggling to find the perfect hunting day pack for a long time. I had a Mountainsmith Rock-it which was also a top/panel loader. I had elk hunted quite a bit with that, I loved the accessibility, but after finding out that the Moutainsmith guy was doing military/hunting packs, I felt the search was over.

I did a 5 day trip in the Wind River range, brought way too much crap stuffed under pods/lashed on/tied on/strapped on. Could & should equated, at least in my book.

Next came an MMR + cargo panel after realizing that bigger packs carry bigger loads, better. Still kept the x-ray, it's just too handy. Then the Xing came out.

I voted for it, did the mental gymnastics of what to sell to afford it, then stumbled on the Mollex on the forum. Cheap.

Were I in your place, I still think the Xing is the best ~ 3 day pack design I've seen. I've grown attached to what I've got & still use all of it, but I think the Xing's size & compressibility just scratch the surface. With the stays & a belt, 70 lbs comfortably is doable, I'd wager. 70's a stretch for the X-ray. Or without the belt & stays, it'll still be a glacier proof pack that rides your shoulders. & carry a LOT.

I'd say give them a call, ask the folks at the shop. They'd build it based on 'you' anyway.

Exploriment is a pretty big guy, I think he said 6'8", maybe he'll chime in about how things fit. & what he's got. I'm pretty average, but the longer stays shift more weight to your hips. (I traded the MMR for an EMR by the way)

Niblick
09-25-2013, 11:13 PM
The whole point of the tactical line IMO is overkill. They're definitely built for combat zones, but 99% percent of ground pounders do pretty well without a Kifaru. So the point is that they're better than the stuff the military issues, which is already good enough for battle.

Nobody needs a Kifaru, not even soldiers, but the reason to buy one is because they are just better than anything else. If you're do for self given present, I say go for it. You're a trucker so it's not like it will sit in the closet for months at a time. Any money spent on a kifaru that sees daily use is money well spent.

I'm partial to the X-ray myself but your clothes are probably a tad bigger than mine :D

P.S. I see glacier proof is already catching on (Rob). I chuckled.

74 or more
09-26-2013, 06:13 AM
I don't think its overkill. If you like it, it fits your needs, and you want to buy yourself something nice, then you should absolutely get it. You'll have it forever, thats for sure

1morehill
09-26-2013, 06:17 AM
Ron,
I'm I decent size guy at 6'2 and use an X-Ray as and EDC work and day trip bag it can hold a lot of crap in it. The Molle Ex is it little large for carrying it into the dispatch office with lunch and way bill's and trip logs. So I believe a front panel loader would probably better suit your needs to access things in your truck on the front seat. So some food for thought look into the Maurader as it seems to be a good in between the X-Ray and Molle Ex. Smaller than than the Xing. Plus with that you can add some lock and dock pockets on the back panel on the inside for your dop kit and other misc items. just some food for thought

ron finkbeiner
09-26-2013, 08:08 AM
I use an Eagle Industries Crossover pack, it's similar to a marauder and it has a tactical tailor admin pouch on it.

XMP
09-26-2013, 11:55 AM
If you genuinely mean that the pack will be exclusively an everyday carry bag, then I doubt that you'll be using a belt with it. If you don't use a belt, then lift and stay length doesn't matter anyway. In that case just get a XRay as a beltless EDC.

On the other hand, if you mean that you'll use the bag as an EDC in addition to using it as a hiking/hunting/outdoors-of-some-sort pack, then by all means get the Xing.

1morehill
09-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I would have to agree with with XMP. Really it comes down to using the right tool for the job. If your planing on using your bag for hiking as well and to stay out on a light overnight then XING would best suit your needs to crossover between the 2 options.

LMT66
09-26-2013, 04:16 PM
It makes a great slip-seat bag for truckers. Plop it on the p-seat and open and drop the panel and it hangs between the seat and shifter. With it hanging, you'll see how a couple upside-down L&L's or one large one attached to the inside panel will allow easy access to small stuff while driving. If your running a radio box on the seat, put the Xing between the shifter & p-seat and use the top access.
Makes a great day or overnight pack. At your height your not going to get any lift but it will fit your back well and with the belt it will unload your shoulders quite a bit.

ron finkbeiner
09-26-2013, 06:34 PM
I like the Express as well, always have. It is the fit that I am most worried about.