PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

widowshooter
09-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Are there any members on here that could give me some insight to this organization? I have the brochure, I read it and it is pretty broad. Perhaps there is a reason for that, perhaps not. I would like to hear some personal information on what they have done recently or in the past, to really push me over the edge and contribute. Thanks.

Curtis C
09-22-2013, 06:53 PM
I just recently joined BHA. Here in Colorado we had some legislation going that would remove hunting licenses from the general population and give them to landowners. BHA took a stance and spoke against this legislation when some Colorado based org's sat silent on the issue. I felt they earned my $25 when they did that. Over the next year I will try to keep track of their work as I decide to renew. I did have to make contact with customer service about my membership and they were very prompt to get my membership concern resolved.

gonehuntn
09-22-2013, 09:19 PM
I've been a member for a few years now. I've met some great, like minded folks. I volunteered for the BHA a few weeks ago to partner with the CO DOW and gave a class on the use of tenkara in the back-country. They are doing some great things! Check out their FB page.

Here's a link to some of the pix from that weekend. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.525778554161795.1073741839.148205145252473&type=1

Sawtooth is also an active member in BHA.

gonehuntn
09-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Here's a story that also ran in the Denver Post. That's my son. I think he caught over 20 fish. He had a ball! (Even though I hooked him in the head and had to cut the hook out!) Oops!
http://www.denverpost.com/outdoors/ci_23959757/backcountry-angling-taster-whets-appetite-fishing-adventure?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-outdoors-hunt_fish+%28Denver+Post%3A+Outdoors%3A+Hunt%2FFis h%29

Sawtooth
09-22-2013, 09:57 PM
widowshooter,

I've been a BHA member for a number of years. I'm also BHA's Colorado Chapter Pike National Forest Representative. I'm friends with some of the founders of BHA. So, I know a lot about the mission of BHA and the work we're doing.

BHA is a hunter-angler-conservationist organization. You already have a brochure, so you know in general terms what we're about. Just to give you an idea on what we've been working on recently here in Colorado, here are some things going on:

The Colorado BHA worked with a coalition of sportsmen to help pass permanent reauthorization of the habitat stamp, which has protected more than 170,000 acres of habitat from development and has provided public access to 68,000 acres for hunting and 26 miles of fishing streams. We also helped move legislation forward that permanently gives state wildlife officers the authority to enforce off-highway vehicle regulations on federal ands. BHA's Southern Rockies Coordinator, Tim Brass (who lives in CO) testified at the Colorado State Legislature agains expanding landowner tags, which result in some 15 percent of Colorado big game tags going to private landowners, who then sell them on the open market, with purhasers hunting any public lands within that game management unit. We also had a team of CO BHA members testify at a recent hearing in favor of the proposed Browns Canyon National Monument and Wilderness near Salida, which is also near where I live.

My duties and responsibilities as a National Forest representative include staying in contact with district rangers on matters involving illegal OHV use, access, and boots-on-the-ground input on trail conditions, etc. I also attend forest planning meetings when they come up, so hunters and anglers have a voice on forest management.

The fact that Kifaru is a Platinum Sponsor of BHA speaks volumes about what kind of organization it is. It's a very worthwhile organization to join.

Pull up the Colorado Chapter on the BHA website (http://www.backcountryhunters.org) and look around. I think you'll like what you see.

widowshooter
09-22-2013, 10:45 PM
I think that it's great that they are doing so much in Colorado, which is where I grew up, however, due to the line of work I am in, I have made my home in Washington state. I don't care for politics, but I know enough that there are issues in this state that I would probably be interested in knowing about as public land hunting here is prominent. I have no doubt that I'll join, I just would like to talk to the folks who focus on the state I am in.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this forum, I sincerely appreciate it.

larryschwartz
09-23-2013, 07:09 AM
widowshooter,

Here is the link to the Washington chapter...http://www.backcountryhunters.org/index.php/state-chapters/washington-bha

Hope this helps.

I know the past director, Jim Akenson, and I can tell you that he and others have also been to Washington, D.C. to testify on matters that affect the backcountry andi its use.

Check out the WA chapter link above, it has some news stories and also information on the chapter officers if you want to contact them.

Hope this helps,

Larry

larryschwartz
09-23-2013, 07:15 AM
You can also download past issues of their magazine in .PDF format on this page...http://www.backcountryhunters.org/index.php/bha-journal-magazine

widowshooter
09-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Mr. Schwartz,

Thanks for the links, I will look into those.

Yolla Bolly
10-29-2013, 01:27 PM
I am a member---no chapter yet established in this state. Some efforts in that direction. I appreciate their public education efforts to promote a backcountry ethic.