PDA

View Full Version : ku powerpulls

beachbunny
09-22-2013, 04:24 PM
is anyone else having trouble with ku powerpulls ,sideslipping adjusters and difficulty in cinching them down? thanks

Tim in Washington
09-22-2013, 08:13 PM
yes,same problem

beachbunny
09-23-2013, 07:50 AM
right, so anybody have an answer, spending 10 minutes trying to adjust these things sure is a problem

Tim in Washington
09-23-2013, 07:55 AM
pull the strap out of the loop and tighten it in the ordinary way

rhunter424
09-23-2013, 08:18 AM
What type of problem are you having? Is the webbing bunching all on one side of the plastic loop when you tighten the webbing?

Patrick
09-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Our Powerpull Waistbelts are one of our best but also most bedeviling features. Imperceptible variations in webbing thickness or softness can allow one side of a pack belt to reliably tighten and the opposite side to fail to "catch". We cannot tell beforehand! Often the issue develops after the webbing softens up from usage. And this doesn't happen on all the packs, just a small minority. What to do?

The most obvious way to prevent it happening on ANY packs is to just eliminate it as a feature. But then it's goodness of working even on one side will vanish. The older KU packs with Nylike webbing are the most vulnerable. As a matter of fact we've dropped the 2" Nylike webbing on those belts and have gone back to regular nylon...at a slight weight penalty; my personal KU 5200 sometimes fails to catch on one side (the left) but I want the lighter webbing so I just do a gross adjustment on that side and then the finishing adjustment on the other side. That is easily done and keeps the powerful adjustment goodness versus just not using the Powerpulls at all, which is an option and makes the system operate like most other backpacks. It also helps to push evenly on the straps. A lot in fact. Taking care to push evenly will keep the webbing from bunching up as well.

Learning how to use the system to best advantage is what may be called for. Or we can drop the Powerpull feature, and just tighten the old way. Of course you can do that now--simply unthread the webbing and go back to the pull system instead of the push system. We are trying very hard to sew in such a way and select webbing in such a way to make PP's as reliable as we can (the webbing is still dicey because we have to buy what the mill runs at any given time--we can't reject thousands of yards of perfectly good webbing in every other respect). I have determined that powerfully tightening my 5200 from one side is still far better than no Powerpull at all. All pack belts tightened from one side only not than long ago. I'm in that small minority of one-siders myself, folks. I don't even notice anymore.

John Havard
09-23-2013, 01:39 PM
My vote is to stick with the powerpulls and live with any problems that may arise due to webbing inconsistencies. The power pull belt is the only way to go.

beachbunny
09-23-2013, 03:53 PM
roger that.

WYOelkHunter
11-02-2013, 11:22 AM
I have the same problem on both sides of my bikini frame. I have found that if I pull the ends strait out away from my body instead of pulling the ends towards the center of my body the power pulls work. Hope this makes sense...

beachbunny
11-02-2013, 12:15 PM
sure , that makes sense,always a couple ways to skin a cat, thanks