PDA

View Full Version : Punched My First Tag

topher89
09-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Well, I finally punched my first tag, a fall turkey OTC. (Hopefully I can add pictures to this story, my camera got wet and I am waiting for it to dry out)

My Uncle and I went on a Labor Day dove hunt at my grandmother's farm which is situated right up against the Platte River. I brought along my Remington 870 12 gauge, a few boxes of 7.5's and a few Federal Premium Strut Shok 3 inch 6's.

My grandmother's house is situated on top of a hill which gently levels out into a square field about 500yds by 1000yds that ends against the Platte River. Near the river's edge there are some trees and bushes. Our dove hunting plan was to sit on the edge of the trees and shot the doves as they flew in and out of trees. We had a clear view across the field to my grandmother's house and a small stand of trees that cover part of hillside.

As soon as the light struck we each had a few doves in our vests. That is when I heard the turkeys. I looked across the field and could see about 10 turkeys on the hillside. We were situated in the bottom left corner of the field and the turkeys were in the upper right corner. Knowing if I tried to go straight to them I would get busted in the open field, I worked my way up the edge of the field and circled around the house to try and get to them. The turkeys were on the hillside and I figured if I slowly and quietly worked my way on the hill I would able to peek over the edge and bag a turkey.

On the top of hill I crouched and made my way to the edge. I could hear clucks all around me. I was almost to the point where I could look over the edge when a big gobbler stepped out from behind a bush and saw me. Busted! He took off and so did about 25 others. Most flew across the river but about 7 or 8 landed on my side in the stand of trees.

I decided to take a breather and re-think my plan. I knew where the turkeys were located but I couldn't see any of them through the thick trees. After about twenty minutes I slowly closed the distance and stopped in patch of waist high weeds and crouched. I was about 40ish yards away. I pulled out my slate call and made a few calls. One gobbler stepped out between some trees to see who was calling.

I launched my load of 6's and had a downed turkey! I paced it off and my shot was 37yds. No pellets in the breasts and the head was full of holes.

This was an important hunt for me. Last year was my first year hunting. I had some small game success but did not fill my cow tag. I tried this spring to get a turkey but just couldn't sell the deal. I got to punch my tag and make some delicious turkey stir-fry.

Apple
09-05-2013, 05:35 AM
Congrats! Welcome to the addiction

Jon S
09-05-2013, 06:19 AM
Way to ring in a new school year, congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

COShunter
09-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Nice story. Glad you got to start the seasons off with a successful hunt. Keep it up.

Smokepole
09-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Congratulations, sneaking in on turkeys is no mean feat.

Bushcraft
09-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Congrats on the bird!

snakey2
09-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Good job. A fall turkey is a big accomplishment.

Scoutin' Wyo
09-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Nice job and way to keep calm and formulate a new game plan after getting busted!

topher89
09-05-2013, 04:34 PM
I learned something new today. I was showing the picture to a friend and he said "That is a female turkey"

I replied "No way, it has a beard!" Well i guess some female birds can have beards as well. Not as cool as bagging a male turkey but I am still proud to have bagged a turkey, female or not. Everything happened so quickly that I saw the beard and took the shot. I stepped on a scale with the turkey before it was gutted and it weighed in at 17lbs

Here are a few pics from the hunt

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I am still totally stoked about filling my first tag. Hopefully my luck will hold out the rest of the fall