PDA

View Full Version : Versatility

widowshooter
08-21-2013, 09:16 AM
While I completely understand that there is almost no such thing as a "one pack fits all applications", I would like to point out (which most of you already know) that Kifaru is doing a ridiculously good job on filling out that void. Case in point, a few months back I traded a Marauder for a MOLLEX. When I got the MOLLEX I was considering trading it off because I didn't think it would be big enough to do what I wanted it to. The first weekend I had it, I took it out for a hike and immediately fell in love with this pack. All I could think about what where this pack had been all my life and how much better it was than an ALICE pack that I had been using for years.

With in a couple of weeks I picked up a cargo chair, then a small pod, and recently, an unpadded PALS Omni belt and large pod. I can basically carry just about anything I need with this set up. I can go from a couple days in the backcountry to a quick day hike by simply unhooking some fastners. I can carry a zero degree bag on the outside of my pack in the large pod with no issues.

I am so impressed with the capabilities of this one pack I can't wait to go hiking or hunting. Sometimes I just wear my pack around the house because I can. I look for things to carry just to see if I can do it.

Am I the only one who does this?

rhunter424
08-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Am I the only one who does this?

Nope ;) It works well for shooting down ideas really quickly when tinkering with new setup's.

The other great thing about about the versatility (modular and multifunctional) is how almost all of the components work together. All of your accessories (pouches, cargo chairs, etc) can transfer between Kifaru packs. So if you decide you want your marauder again, you can still use everything you already have from your express. I remember reading this design philosophy in an article from Patrick a long long time ago.

bark-eater
08-21-2013, 11:53 AM
A five gallon drywall bucket fits in a ZRX. Works great for hauling rocks for erosion control. After a couple sum trips, I was satisfied I could, but wishing for a wheel barrel.

If you broaden you historical perspective, there is a world of Paleo-kifaru (Original Mountainsmith) out there that is compatible with 21st century Kifaru gear. I cant quite convince my self that those rainbow pull tabs wont clash with camo green, but a Tour lumbar pack and a couple other MS pockets make for functional Hippyflauge.

widowshooter
08-21-2013, 10:38 PM
I have one of the old MS Day Lumbar packs with a set of strappettes. It is black and I have taken the yellow pull tabs off the zippers and replaced with 550 cord. I also cut the original hip pad off and put an older black MS waistbelt on it. It connects perfectly and makes this pack even better. Now I am trying to figure out a way to connect it to the MOLLEX I have. I really don't need it, but I like to have options.

BuckarooMedic
08-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Yup, Kifaru (and even old MS gear) is the best. My first Patrick Smith design was his Day Pack, in black. I eventually cut-off all the yellow parts and added three rows of PALS webbing. I used this pack for National Guard field training for years before Kifaru came out.

@Widowshooter - you can D&L your MS Day Pack to Kifaru gear. The best way I found was to utilize the four webbing loops that are on the sides of the Day Pack. You can run the main pack's compression straps through these or you can use some type of individual straps to attach it. Give it a try. The compression straps on my Marauder are just about the perfect distance from each other to do this. I reckon it would be the same on your MOLLEX

Take care,

widowshooter
08-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Buckaroomedic,

That was the same thought process that I had when I took a real, dedicated look at it last night. I am almost positive that will work as you described. I have a large pod on the MOLLEX now, which is no issue to remove. I may give this a shot when I get home tonight after work. I will let you know how it works out.

swwifty
08-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Yup, Kifaru (and even old MS gear) is the best. My first Patrick Smith design was his Day Pack, in black. I eventually cut-off all the yellow parts and added three rows of PALS webbing. I used this pack for National Guard field training for years before Kifaru came out.

@Widowshooter - you can D&L your MS Day Pack to Kifaru gear. The best way I found was to utilize the four webbing loops that are on the sides of the Day Pack. You can run the main pack's compression straps through these or you can use some type of individual straps to attach it. Give it a try. The compression straps on my Marauder are just about the perfect distance from each other to do this. I reckon it would be the same on your MOLLEX

Take care,

Do you have a picture of this? I'm not sure what you mean by the "four webbing loops that are on the sides of the Day Pack". I'd be interested in trying this with my MS lumbar day pack and my Kifaru packs.

widowshooter
08-22-2013, 02:10 PM
I will take some pictures tonight and post them for you guys when I get home from work.

swwifty
08-22-2013, 02:15 PM
I will take some pictures tonight and post them for you guys when I get home from work.

Great, thanks!

widowshooter
08-23-2013, 10:05 AM
I am sorry, but I was unable to get the pictures taken last night, I had in-law interference and we were out late at dinner. I will get to it tonight.

robcollins
08-23-2013, 05:34 PM
I've had the same experience with the MollEx and MS Daypack. And every other piece of Patrick designed gear. Just bought another Daypack here on the forums for my wife (who now has 3 MS packs) to go with my 1991 Daypack, Tour, Frostfire II, Rock-it (the original X-Ray/Xing).

I can easily do an overnight by myself to a week with my kids, or haul meat.

widowshooter
08-24-2013, 01:29 AM
I took pictures, but I can't seem to get to load them from my iPhone. Stupid smart phone!

widowshooter
08-24-2013, 02:45 AM

So I switched to the lap top and it worked. I should have done this in the first place. I would also like to apologize for the picture quality, I took these with my iPhone in my dark garage. I did two set ups:

Set up 1-MS Lumbar pack attached to the MOLLEX with the large pod behind it, I used the straps from the large pod to connect the MS pack by running them through the four loops.

Set up 2-MS Lumbar pack attached to the MOLLEX with the four horizontal straps on the pack itself. No large pod. I ran the four horizontal straps already on the MOLLEX through the four loops on the MS Lumbar pack.

I may redo this in the morning, outside with an actual camera to show the whole idea better. Let me know what you guys think.

swwifty
09-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the pictures, that's quite interesting. I just remembered this thread. I didn't get a email notification that it was posted.

Any chance you can take some more detailed pictures? This gives me some really good ideas though.

BuckarooMedic
09-12-2013, 12:33 AM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/Buckaroomedic/DSCN4830.jpg

Here's an old picture of my MS Day pack D&L'd to my Marauder. I ran the Marauder's compression straps through the four webbing loops at the corners of the Day pack.