PDA

View Full Version : New Clothing and Camo

stewart375
08-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I am looking to start buying some new hunting clothing over the next year or so. I am wondering what everyone thinks of a few of the new stuff out there. I have pretty much narrowed it down to Sitka in one of the Optifade patterns, Kryptek or Predator. I have been using Natural Gear and have had good results with it, but no one is making any of the newer styles of clothing in that pattern. I may even consider using Multi-Cam.

What has been your experiences with the patterns that I mentioned and the lines of clothing that use the patterns? I am mainly hunting whitetails from treestands and blinds. I do sometimes stalk on the ground and hunt tukeys also. I am hoping to to start putting in for Western tags this next year also. If it works for waterfowl that is a plus too.

Thanks for the opinions and info.

coastalyet
08-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Predator and Cabelas outfitter are two 'big' patterns that break up your outline. Which is what you need to fool animals. Most humans lean toward 'small' patterns, because it fools THEM. The eyes of a human have many cones which see colors, the eyes of animals don't. They have rods, which see light and dark. Don't buy a pattern that fools humans more than it does animals, even though some people will actually laugh at you, because they don't understand biology, they only know what they see.

Kmassaro
08-09-2013, 06:21 AM
I still think the best camo out there is the ASAT leafy suit. Big camo pattern, and you are flat invisible, with the leaves buffeted by the wind. I've had a calf elk at 3 feet not know what I was, and pigs, who pick out anything out of the ordinary, at 5 feet, stare at me, and lie back down. With your choices, though, predator is a very good option. And agree with Coastal.

stewart375
08-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I agree with the larger patterns for game. I have just not seen what a pattern like Kryptek is like in the spectrum of game animals. Like I posted before, I have been using natural gear with great success. I am just fired of not finding any newer style clothing in the pattern. I have had three deer walk within five feet of me while on the ground in a fairly open fence row and turkeys at ten feet and not know I am there.

I am probably going to go look at some Predator this weekend at a local shop.

stewart375
08-15-2013, 11:58 AM
I never have made it to look at the new Predator clothing. To many things going on. I am going to try and get away from a fire department fund raiser this weekend to get over to Cabela's and look at the clothing they will have on sale, in outfitter camo.

widowshooter
08-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I have stopped wearing camo and just wear solid colors now. If I feel the need for camo I will throw on my leafy suit and go from there. I don't make enough money to have clothing for all of my outdoor pursuits, so I have combined them.

topher89
08-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I have stopped wearing camo and just wear solid colors now. If I feel the need for camo I will throw on my leafy suit and go from there. I don't make enough money to have clothing for all of my outdoor pursuits, so I have combined them.

Most of the members of this forum share this sentiment. As a new hunter I have taken their advice and most of my gear is solid earth colors. I think for the rifle seasons camo just doesn't make that much of a difference. You can find a lot of hunt reports on this forum of hunters wearing solid colored clothing standing over their dead deer or elk. I will wear a Microtex shirt on my hunts not because it is camo but because it is a great technical fabric.

Obviously there are exceptions. Turkey hunting and archery hunting require head to toe camo. On my spring turkey hunt I wore Microtex pants and shirt in Outfitter camo with a face mask and camo hat. I don't archery hunt but if I did I would wear the same outfit.

widowshooter
08-18-2013, 04:47 PM
I am an archery hunter, a recurve hunter at that and I still rarely use camo, especially in the early seasons. So far I have found that playing the wind and minimal movement is the key. I live in the Pacific Northwest and so far I haven't had any problems getting close.

Sawtooth
08-18-2013, 04:59 PM
For western big game and turkey hunting I like Cabelas Outfitter camo for above-the-waist camo. That's where you need the camo anyway, because that's where you're most visible. Camo pants and boots are a non-issue in my book. Microtex in Outfitter camo is hard to beat.