PDA

View Full Version : Calling out to all you knifemakers

Pocket Lint
08-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Hello fellow Kifaruites,

I've decided to take my passion and pursuit of knife making and collecting more seriously. I am wondering if there are any fellow members here who make their own knives, who might be able to give me a few tips to start me off in the right direction.

For my first project, I am doing a very simple knife. I am going to cut out a rectangular bar from am old used saw blade, then file the shape of the blade (my own design) by hand. I don't have many tools so that's why I am starting out with this very simple design.

I still don't know how I am going to put a grind on the blade. I would like to put a nice hollow grind, but I can wait until I get more tools over time.

So, basically, I would like to know how other members have started out making their own knives, and what tools I should invest in first.

I'd love to make my own steel someday, and forge my own blade from that.

ALL the best,
the lint

Echo63
08-03-2013, 11:36 PM
You could file a convex grind onto the the blade
I did that with the big ugly chopper i made

InTheWild
08-04-2013, 05:26 AM
I have made some knives but I have always bought the blade. I have then picked out the pieces for the handle and glued them together and then to the blade. Then just filed the handle down to the size and shape I wanted.
If you look at this page and scroll down to the last two images you will see a blade and then some material to put the handle together. I have used material like antlers from moose and rain deer, different kind of wood, metal like brass or silver and between every piece of different material i have used bark from birch tree. In the knife kit in the link they seem to be using leather between the different materials in the handle.
I have also sewn the sheath in leather to the knives.
http://www.knivesbynick.co.uk/knife_kits.htm

This page (http://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCatalog.html) also have a lot of different blades if you're going to buy one. If you look at the "Wood" you can se a piece of arctic birch wood. I have used them and they get beautiful when oiled in. Lovely pattern. I have collected then by myself in northern Sweden so it was free... I have also visited local furniture carpenters looking for exclusive wood and I have got pieces of wood for free (left overs) since you don't need large pieces.

I just found these two links by googling "knife blade" so you can find other websites about this.

Good luck!