PDA

View Full Version : Organizer pocket... is it worth it?

Trk3263
08-02-2013, 12:42 AM
I am about to buy an E&E for work and trying to decide if an Organizer is worth it.
I will be using the pack for paperwork and some simple items. Obviously the organizer will work well for what I need it for (flashlight, pens, notebook, cuffs, etc) but is it worth it or is a medium pocket or something similar a smarter purchase to use in place of the organizer.
I am probably just a cheap ass but $60 is expensive for an add on for an already expensive pack.
As I am writing this I just thought of another question. Will the organizer work on my Highcamp if I want to use it for a medium pocket if needed?

techbrute
08-02-2013, 10:35 AM
I have an organizer. I don't use it much. I haven't found much of a use for it since it holds a bunch of trinkety stuff in a place that you can't reach while you have the pack on. Most of the little stuff is either where I can get at it to use it, or packed somewhere in the bag. I like the Maxpedition organizers. They are relatively inexpensive, several sizes available, and immediately available. I use them all as pull-outs, though. I don't secure them to the exterior of the pack. I would prefer them "slick", as opposed to covered in molle.

rhunter424
08-02-2013, 11:38 AM
+1 to what techbrute said.

I've had many Kifaru organizers over the years and sold them all. Almost everything I would put in the organizer I much prefer to have in reach either in a belt pouch or on a chest rig.

Trk3263
08-02-2013, 12:15 PM
So this organizer will be on an E&E and won't have a belt. The primary use will be for work and not using a waist belt setup it's seems both of you guys are talking for use on a larger pack. What are your thoughts on the smaller E&E without a waist belt. Basically for small items so you don't have to dig through the larger part of the pack would you recommend the organizer for this or just a medium pocket.

rhunter424
08-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Marauder and E&E are the two packs I used the organizer's on.

I prefer the BFG Large and medium horizontal helium whisper pouch now, since it offers some internal elastic loops, a mesh divider, and the rest of the pouch is "open".

steveb
08-04-2013, 09:14 AM
I often run my Organizer on an E&E. Because the E&E is so small and light, it's easy to swing the pack on to one shoulder to access the organizer.

larryschwartz
08-05-2013, 09:18 AM
If you do not plan to put everything in its own little pocket or holder everytime then just get a pouch.

never.truly.lost
08-05-2013, 10:08 AM
+1 to what Ryan said.

The BFG offers a little more room, still has a little organization, and is a lighter weight alternative. Fits well on the G2 E&E where as the Organizer is a better fit on the G1.
The only down side is that the BFG pouches are only available in Multicam or CB.

rhunter424
12-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Slight necropost but its worth revisiting.

Since this thread was started the 500d version has came out. The 500d makes the organizer much more pliable and the lock and load makes it easier to transition between packs. And the price is cheaper to boot.

Ive been using the 500d version daisy chained underneath a lock and load #2 or #5, hung from the common loops. It's a nice setup for my "possibles pouch", instead of having everything in a large pullout.

Big improvement for functionality in my opinion.

widowshooter
12-27-2013, 06:52 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing with an organizer pouch. Daisy chain it or use as a possibles pouch. How do you like it in this role?

rhunter424
12-27-2013, 07:07 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing with an organizer pouch. Daisy chain it or use as a possibles pouch. How do you like it in this role?
That's what I'm using the organizer pouch for. Originally I had a few small pull-outs and quart freezer bags inside a large pull-out. It was a single pouch and easy to transfer between packs. With the possibles pouch now split between the organizer and #2 or #5 L&L, it's more organized and easier to access (who-da-thought? ;) )

And when internal pack space becomes tight I move the organizer to the outside of my pack. Very easy to do, even with the organizer still loaded.

widowshooter
12-28-2013, 10:13 PM
I was talking with another buddy about this tonight. I may have to do this as well.

Trk3263
12-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all the great info. I am anxious to get my hands on the organizer and of course now I am gonna need to buy some lock and loads too. Thanks guys like I need to give more money to Kifaru. Adding them to the wish list.

Could you post some pics of how you are daisy chaining them and using inside and out of the pack.

HarpT
12-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the great info. I am anxious to get my hands on the organizer and of course now I am gonna need to buy some lock and loads too. Thanks guys like I need to give more money to Kifaru. Adding them to the wish list.

Could you post some pics of how you are daisy chaining them and using inside and out of the pack.

Check Mel's thread in "Kifaru Tips".

Trk3263
12-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Copy thanks

Drew5337
01-18-2014, 09:56 PM
I've got a 1000d organizer on my TG1 that I edc as a shoulder bag. I find it invaluable in this role, and would have one one any small pack I planned on using in an edc role.