PDA

View Full Version : Something that hasn't been discussed before.

malJohann
07-29-2013, 09:18 PM
The uWin Kit. I saw it on the website. Interested.

I already own many of these items, but wanted some discussion from the Kifaru company.

malJohann
07-30-2013, 03:51 PM
I find it kind of strange that the kit wasn't even promoted on the forum? What's the background? Could someone explain the reasons the individual items made it into the kit?

MojoSlim
07-30-2013, 04:01 PM
yeah, and can you get the UL manhole cover lifter stand alone? That's all I want in that kit!

malJohann
08-07-2013, 12:34 AM
No-one? :( This sucks.

thewolverine
08-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Looks pretty cool- The Manhole lifter caused me to look around. There is a 24" True Temper one on Amazon. I did not even think I would find one. I am sure it's not as cool as in the kit :)

BrooklynBen
08-07-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm very hesitant to pay $200 just to see what the chapters in his book deal with OR to see what his pocket Manhole Lifter looks like. Everything else seems to be pretty standard fare type prep kit materials.

malJohann
08-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I ordered the book online for $10. There are various manhole cover lifters available, one I found (a Scott) is fairly compact, but also weighs around half a pound and costs $24.

BrooklynBen
08-12-2013, 07:30 PM
I ordered the book online for $10. There are various manhole cover lifters available, one I found (a Scott) is fairly compact, but also weighs around half a pound and costs $24. If you have a link to the cover lifters, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would be interested in looking at them.

I gave this issue a little thought, looked at a number of different man hole covers in the neighborhood here and came up with what I think might be a very lightweight solution. The idea starts basically with a 3/4" lightweight (aluminum, Ti, carbon fiber) rod or heavy pipe to be cut about 3.5" in length. The some 550 cord wraped or secured at (or through) the middle of this short piece of rod/pipe.

To use this device, one would vertically slip the rod/pipe through the access hole in the cover, then adjust the rod/pipe to become horizontal to the hole on the inside. Maintaining tension, a person could then use the two strands of 550 cord draped over their backs as a lever motion to lift the cover over the edge of it's hole. If a person were strong enough, they could also simply take the two cord leads extending from the hole and wrap them around a stick or something to use as a lift handle. The strong person would then perform a 'dead lift' so that the cover would come up-over the edge of the hole, allowing the cover to be more easily slid further open.

This was the lightest and simplest device I could come up with which would work with all the different manhole cover I could find. If someone has any other ideas, please share them.

robcollins
08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Have the 550 attached at 2 points to the rod: middle of the rod for lifting & to the end of the rod for removal. A 2" piece of 1/2" rod drilled with 2 holes, then some fancy para cord wrapping should be enough...

malJohann
08-13-2013, 01:05 AM
If you have a link to the cover lifters, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would be interested in looking at them.

Up to 30kg rated lift: http://www.scottool.co.uk/keys_3.htm

On eBay: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290764742177

On Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001ACLKH4

More types on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/manhole-cover-keys

Item numbers will carry across to dotcom sites, not sure why google spat out a bunch of UK links.

malJohann
08-13-2013, 01:33 AM
Have the 550 attached at 2 points to the rod: middle of the rod for lifting & to the end of the rod for removal. A 2" piece of 1/2" rod drilled with 2 holes, then some fancy para cord wrapping should be enough...

Dug around a bit (I do that sometimes, just entering URL name variations to see what I get).

Stumbled upon this pic giving an alternative kit-out and view, might have been pre-prod considering the Petzl in there is now a Photon LED light.

Clearly shows the manhole lift key strung out on the left. Leaves me wondering how to turn it once inserted if there's grime or muck in the keyhole.

http://cdn.nexternal.com/kifaru/images/uWinkitlarge.jpg

Exploriment
08-13-2013, 08:25 AM
If going down in to storm drains and sewers is something you really want to do, I recall seeing something years ago for that purpose. A bolt or some threaded rod cut to length, maybe three inches long to lift up the cover, two nuts in the center, another length of threaded rod or bolt at the other end, maybe six inches long to serve as a handle, two nuts in the center, and a length of strong wire between the two, wrapped in between the nuts.

BrooklynBen
08-14-2013, 02:50 PM
.....Clearly shows the manhole lift key strung out on the left. Leaves me wondering how to turn it once inserted if there's grime or muck in the keyhole. Shouldn't be a problem as I see it. Once the pipe is dangling down inside the access shaft (of the manhole), it should naturally hang horizontal to the opening - thus when pulled up, lock the cord or strap in place with the manhole cover. I was thinking 550 cord because it's light and I would have a bunch of it in my bag of goodies, regardless. But I like the looks of a strap and I'll think I'll rig up something that way, at least for the first 1' or so of feet from the pipe. The strap spreads the tension over a wider area of the pipe.

Of course in a disaster situation; almost any piece of re-bar, small pipe or even a stick laying around could work well as a disposable manhole key.

Thanks to everyone else for the other links and resources. It's encouraging to find that a number of Kifarian minds are thinking alike! ;)

malJohann
08-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Anyway, so I ordered the book by N.E. MacDougald and read it. I would describe the information therein as very basic and quite common knowledge to anyone already survivalist inclined. It would be a good, factual but somewhat boring read for a first-timer into these things and would also act as a springboard for further research online.

While it is well written, I found limited use within its pages. It does cover a wide range of scenarios, but some of it seemed to be somewhat- or completely US centric. Its not meant to be a go-to for putting your BOB, GHB, GOOD or INCH bag together. If that's what you are looking for, look somewhere else. All said and done, it'll still have a place in my shelf.

This in no way reflects on the uWin Kit whatsoever and other's opinion may well be completely different about the book, but as for me, these are my observations.

97B40
08-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Just became aware of this thread: I'm the author and kit assembler. The uWin Kit will be too basic for some and too expensive for others--I knew that beforehand. As requested I'll sell the manhole lifter separately through the Forum for $24 including shipping and handling.

Heinlein was absolutely right. Generalists rule.

Thank you all for your comments, suggestions, and interest.