PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Northwest Rondy recap

snakey2
07-23-2013, 09:58 AM
The Rondy is over but as usual it was a fantastic gathering of fine people. It was great to see the usual folks plus some new ones. I want to thank everyone for all the excellent food, comedy and conversation, there was lots of all of it. I also want to thank everyone for making my Dad welcome, he had a great time. He doesn't get out much and that was a big lift to him. I am glad he got to go and experience the things I have told him about of past gatherings. Who knows he may make the next drive-up one! I would post pictures but my camera is still in some box from my recent move so I took none, hope someone got some good one. Sorry it is over, but for me and I hope all of the young and old it was a grand time. Keep putting this together Allen it is a great experience.

Randy
07-25-2013, 10:16 PM
I don't have pictures loaded yet...but I concur with Snakey. The 2013 NW Rondy was a raging success!
It is so cool to get together with the core group and all the new folks who come to take in the fellowship, food, firearms and fun.
Special thanks to Patrick and Aron who made the trip and showed us the new stoves, packs and shared their stories and experiences.
Thanks to Old Pine Cricker who came in early and with the help of his trusty Husquavarna kept us supplied with firewood.
KevinB set up a proper camp kitchen and supplied us with his awesome sausage links and other red meat delights.
Snakey set out some chili that was incredible...gotta get the recipe for that one!
Tracy, as usual, kept our glucose levels topped off with homemade chocolate cake (Suicide by Chocolate), coffee cakes, cookies and fresh bisquits.
JBR and his partner (law enforcement officers) regaled us with tales from the street and ramrodded a snipe hunt for the less informed youngsters:) No snipes were harmed in this after-dark endeavor!
Saturday was filled with shooting. KevinB broke in the new Tikka and rounded up a 3/4" group at 266 yards! OPC showed what he could do off-hand with an iron-sighted 30-30; ChristianH brought along a classy 348 Winchester lever gun that had no problem breaking rocks 175 yards out. MikeB unleashed the little kid in all of us when he mixed up some Tannerite and busted the jar 200 yards out! What is it about guys and stuff that explodes? Grand fun!
Many of the youngsters took a few shots with the TC muzzleloader...no recoil, lots of white smoke and a big hole in the target.
As Snakey said, it was great to see everyone and spend a fine weekend in the woods.
I marvel every year at this phenomenon. Thank God Al Gore invented the internet. Patrick in his wisdom provided a public forum for folks to share some ideas and learn from one another. More than all that, I met some folks thru the ether that I consider my closest friends. I think many share this sentiment.
Until next year, have a great fall, fill some tags, and bring the goodies to Kevin's kitchen to share around the fire!

widowshooter
07-25-2013, 10:42 PM
I really regret missing this. Next year/time, I am going to make it a priority.

MikeB.
07-26-2013, 11:51 PM
The NW Rondy is always time well spent with fine folks. This year just took it up another notch in my book.

Many thanks to JBR, Dag & crew for welcoming all the kids into your activities & for heading up a valiant effort to bag the elusive snipe! Jonathan (my 7 year old) had a great time with your boys & is already looking forward to the next snipe hunt at what he simply refers to as "Kif Kamp".

Thanks to KevinB for all the great sausage & fixins & to Tracy for keeping everyone's sweet tooth satisfied.

Thanks to Randy & Christian for making kid-friendly guns & ammo available at the range.... I think.... it now seems like my dream of a new carbon fiber stock is now fading into the distance behind a pair of cut-down kid-sized muzzleloaders, one of which has been requested with black & purple custom Cerakoting :) Becca, my 10 year old who's been saving up for a new iPad, is now seriously weighing the benefits of a new gadget vs. a new smokepole!

Thanks to Allen, of course, for getting this whole idea off the ground years ago. And for bringing your crazy rodeo dog, who ranked very highly on my kids' list of favorite things at this year's Rondy!

I don't mean to leave anyone out... everyone who comes contributes to this event just by being a part of it. It's neat to see the new faces, make new connections, & realize there are more folks out there that really value the same things we do.

ArBrnSnpr
08-01-2013, 12:49 AM
New to the forum so it looks like I got here too late for this, but I'll definitely be on the look out next year!

snakey2
08-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Anybody come out with pictures???

Tracy
08-05-2013, 10:10 PM
I had my camera out the day we were shooting...

Tracy
08-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Shooting pics 2

Tracy
08-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Shooting pics 3

Tracy
08-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Shooting pics 4

Tracy
08-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Shooting pics 5

Tracy
08-05-2013, 11:19 PM
The one pic I have from camp...KevinB in the kitchen...

Ryan Avery
08-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Few more

Ryan Avery
08-06-2013, 12:51 AM

snakey2
08-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Great shots Tracy (particularly of Kevin B!). You too RLA . Good pics of the long range action. Thanks

Bushcraft
08-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Mental Note: Remember to check the blousing on my shirt when Tracy's camera might be present. Egad. I look like a friggin' lardass.

I'm glad everyone could make it out for the weekend. Always good to spend quality time with old friends and meet new ones on the range and around the campfire! It was awesome to see Snakey's 94(?) year old father out roughing it.

Next year:

We ought to combine the Kifaru and Rokslide crews.
Camp someplace close to a lake! Fishing and swimming are good things.
Bring less "stuff" in my truck that never gets used. Campers are cool.
I'm not a fan of the heat. Maybe hold it earlier in the year? Mid June?

Tracy
08-06-2013, 03:13 PM
The drive-up was a nice alternative & allowed us to bring more ammo, camp chairs, ammo, meat, ammo, rifles, ammo, desserts, ammo, target stands, & especially more ammo....compared to what we're limited to on our usual backpack trips.

I'll add my vote for some sort of water destination (be it lake, river, or stream)! The rondy is just not the same without fly fishing!! Plus, with water nearby, the heat isn't so much of an issue.

A huge thanks this year goes to OPC for cutting all the firewood ahead of time!! You have no idea how much it was appreciated!!

Patrick it was great to see you again! I always look forward to our campfire discussions & feel extremely grateful that I'm able to call you friend.

disillusionedpatriot
08-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Next year:

We ought to combine the Kifaru and Rokslide crews.
Camp someplace close to a lake! Fishing and swimming are good things.
Bring less "stuff" in my truck that never gets used. Campers are cool.
I'm not a fan of the heat. Maybe hold it earlier in the year? Mid June?

I wished I'd had enough time to spend more than a one night and a few hours at the rendezvous. I didn't even meet everyone who was there unfortunately. The few minutes I had to see familiar people again was great.

Swimming, mid-June? Not even in Eastern WA lakes. If you want actual decent swimming with water that isn't ridiculously cold AND a place you can drive to, the choices are very limited: mainly state parks. If you want decent fishing too, without needing a boat, that's getting even more difficult. The high lakes aren't anything but bone-chilling until at least August but those aren't driveable.

Some ideas:

Windy Point off of Hwy 12. About 15 miles west of Naches, a primitive campground on the Tieton (?) river. On a hot day you might feel like wading in. I don't know the details of the fishery but I think fly-only C and R. Shooting probably OK but if not there then certainly up the nearby forest road.

An actual state park. Sun Lakes, Conconully, Chelan, Daroga many others. Toilets and showers are great things. Some of these places have group sites. Prices is high and some require almost a year in advance reservation. I love Sun Lakes. Swimming at Deep Lake is like a bathtub in August. The other lakes are stocked. There's a group site and a concession store. Shooting not far away. There are a bunch of lakes up around Omak/Okanogan. Steamboat Rocks, Alta Lake, Conconully... All are ok getting to be longer drives. Daroga, other places on Columbia River. The river is never warm, you have to have a good layer of fat to even waterski without a partial wetsuit unless you're really good. Chelan. My favorite--warm clear water, restaurants and wine, fishing mostly requires a boat, shooting up in the hills, campsites expensive and hard to reserve, volleyball sand courts at Lakeside and City Park--this would be my preference. In fact, screw all the hunting, shooting, fishing, camping nonsense--I'm heading over to the courts then going to a couple of wineries. Later.

Randy
08-08-2013, 12:38 PM
I like the drive up format.
I also like fishing. Fishing and shooting are a hard combo to come by.
Especially since I don't think we want to be in an "established" campground. Too many, rules, restrictions, oversight from various agencies.
Granite Lake again might be a good choice.

nwpacker
08-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Although I only made a brief appearance I did like Granite Lake a couple of years ago too. I could break out the llama pack string again for that one as long as dates work. + 1 on Randy's suggestion for Granite Lake.

oldpinecricker
08-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Just a couple pics taken from phone from an communications towers a few miles from the rondy site.

I think this is Mt. Adams to the south with some of the Cascade crest.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/idaholad/photobucket-8311-1375802989848_zps3ba36950.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/idaholad/media/photobucket-8311-1375802989848_zps3ba36950.jpg.html)

This is Rainier
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/idaholad/photobucket-8845-1375803004278_zps0694bf83.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/idaholad/media/photobucket-8845-1375803004278_zps0694bf83.jpg.html)