PDA

View Full Version : Pack Water Proofing

modustollens
07-13-2013, 07:29 AM
What about this stuff, found it in the garage - would anyone here think this is ok to apply to a Kifaru pack?:

(click for a bigger picture)

http://www.imagerocket.net/photos/sm_1373721988_IMG_20130713_084321.jpg (http://www.imagerocket.net/view.php?pic=1373721988_IMG_20130713_084321.jpg)

MT

techbrute
07-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Whether or not it would cause damage, I don't think it's a great idea.

First, for a pack to be waterproof, you'd have to address the zippers. Say you have a Zulu with no zippers, there's still the seams. Good luck taping all the stitching in a Kifaru.

So, most likely, you'll just make it harder to dry out the pack once it does get wet.

Instead, consider a dry bag or pack cover. Dry bags work well inside the pack. Typical pack covers don't work we'll, as water just soaks your pack from your back. OR makes a "Pack Hoodie" which looks like it addresses the issues of a typical pack cover.

Personally, I am considering making a rain poncho that accommodates a pack underneath it. They already exist, I just haven't found a decent one. I figure I can make one out of silnylon that isn't too heavy.

ahisa
07-21-2013, 11:38 PM
I second what techbrute said. Get yourself some dry bags from Outdoor Research or Seal Line and never have to worry about your stuff in the pack getting wet.

Heck, I that's why I put drainage holes in all of packs. A little silicone spray on the outside may help once in a while to keep the pack stain free and getting heavy from absorbing water, but after a couple of good rains it will wear off, even the polyurethane coatings inside a Kifaru bag will start to peel after a couple of years.

njloco
07-22-2013, 01:04 PM
techbrute,

Just curious, what type of short comings did you find with the ponchos you looked at ?, I am thinking of using a poncho for keeping or trying to keep my pack dry.

Thanks

robcollins
07-22-2013, 01:23 PM
I second what techbrute said. Get yourself some dry bags from Outdoor Research or Seal Line and never have to worry about your stuff in the pack getting wet.

Heck, I that's why I put drainage holes in all of packs. A little silicone spray on the outside may help once in a while to keep the pack stain free and getting heavy from absorbing water, but after a couple of good rains it will wear off, even the polyurethane coatings inside a Kifaru bag will start to peel after a couple of years.

I run a MMR frame and a cargo panel, usually with a Seal Line bag when it's just me. I was just wondering the same thing as everyone else, I'm not too concerned with contents, I'm more concerned with just soaking the cargo panel, I think some silicone will do the trick...

I think the silicone MT posted would work just fine, I think the trick is to figure out a way to spray it, as the thinner (lacquer based?) could damage nylon if there's too much, right? Pretty expensive mistake if it degrades the material we're attempting to protect...