PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure this out....

shtfco
07-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Aron, Patrick or anyone that has an idea on how to fix my issue.

Im not a small guy Im 6 foot 240 lbs. I am blessed with not having much of a rear shelf, and I have a bit of a tire. This weekend we did a trip up to the Divide and I fought the pack the entire time. Appears since I really dont have much of a hip bone and no rear shelf I cant keep the pack up high enough to keep the weight of the pack off my shoulders like it should be. I can get it cinched down but my tire kind of pushes it below that and since I dont have much of a shelf for the weight of the pack to ride on it falls leaving the entire weight of the pack on my shoulders. Anyone else have this problem? Id share a photo of my gut but for fear of scaring the population I will spare everyone.

Can a special system for people of my stature be done so I can wear a pack normally? Yes I know Im working on the weight I did a good 10 miles backpack trip this weekend and lost 7 lbs if thats any consolation =-).

Thanks in advance.

widowshooter
07-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Where are you connecting the load lifters? I have a similar issue, but no tire. I moved my load lifter to the highest attaching point I could and it seemed to help.

shtfco
07-07-2013, 01:02 AM
hey bro this is the pack you sent me and those havent changed since I got it from you. So as far as the load lifters go thats the attachment at the top of the stays correct? Want to make sure Im understand the pack correctly.

shtfco
07-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Ive always gone off what Patrick shows in his video and according to that my strap isnt 15 degrees for the load lifter. Im going to do some more playing around with it tomorrow see if I can figure it out. I can always call Aron and have him show me some tips. Has to be a simple adjustment to get the weight of the pack to stay on my hips. I know Im not the only guy out there that has this same problem. =-)

shtfco
07-07-2013, 01:28 AM
saw some more vids of Aron and duplex frame adjustment. Yeah I got some adjusting I need to do for sure. Im going to play with it tomorrow and load it up and do some more laps with it. 5 miles with the 40 lbs load on my shoulders was killer. =-)

Patrick
07-07-2013, 07:23 AM
shtfco, one of the most persistent fit problems is forgetting to loosen the Delta Straps (four straps angling from the belt to the bag) when taken the pack off and putting back on. Leaving these straps tight prohibits the waistbelt getting the proper wrap and holding the load up. Best bet, just keep these straps LOOSE unless you really need the stability they provide--such as climbing, etc.

Another tip: waistbelt high enough and TIGHT enough. Don't worry if your gut bulges over the belt, get that belt TIGHT.

shtfco
07-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks Patrick. Yeah i think I still have to adjust my shoulder straps for 1 cause the little part that should be lining up with my front collar bone is not. Also your right I had those a bit to tight and didnt losen them. Going to play with it today and see how much difference I can make. Thanks for the response Patrick. If I need to I can call Aron also. Hes always happy to assist =)

shtfco, one of the most persistent fit problems is forgetting to loosen the Delta Straps (four straps angling from the belt to the bag) when taken the pack off and putting back on. Leaving these straps tight prohibits the waistbelt getting the proper wrap and holding the load up. Best bet, just keep these straps LOOSE unless you really need the stability they provide--such as climbing, etc.

Another tip: waistbelt high enough and TIGHT enough. Don't worry if your gut bulges over the belt, get that belt TIGHT.

Daveinjax
07-07-2013, 08:03 PM
I have a bit of a spare tire myself and my belt cinches down and grabs my hips solid. Gut is bulging way out the top ! If you don't look freakish after tightening it you are doing it wrong !

shtfco
07-08-2013, 12:27 AM
I have a bit of a spare tire myself and my belt cinches down and grabs my hips solid. Gut is bulging way out the top ! If you don't look freakish after tightening it you are doing it wrong !

Haha thanks for the visual Dave. Yeah I played with it today. I didnt have the shoulder straps adjusted right so that the metal part of that buckle on the strap was siting in line with my front collar bone and as patrick said I had the belt adjustments to tight. Was a rough 5 miles along the divide with it not fitted right. Now that I have educated myself on it I believe Im good to go. Letting the Blister on my foot heal up a bit then will give it a try =-).