PDA

View Full Version : pack decisions... weight, capacity

Jay03
07-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi, I have been hunting for about 17 years but this year I want to take the plunge into backpack hunting and just stay out where I hunt at night instead of hiking 10-15 miles a day getting to and from hunting. I would rather spend those miles searching... anyway. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a pack and have a few question. I would like to just buy one of each from kifaru(like most im sure) but for now just one... So I am curious from the more experienced, is buying a pack like the DT3 and adding pockets, pods, and extras make more sense or would one be better off getting a bigger bag like the long hunter to begin with. Heres my reasoning... My hunts will be 1-4 nighters with trips back to a main camp or truck. More like spike camps i guess.. so I dont figure I will need the biggest bag offered.. but with all the adjustablility and modularity of these packs I thought I could take a bag like the DT2 or 3 and add volume if I need it. And compress it down for use as a day pack if need be as well. But will adding all the extras increase the weight enough to just make getting a bigger bag make more sense. I assume the bigger bags can also be compressed down a bit. but would they then be to bulky and akward? I guess in the future if I find myself staying longer and going farther I could always get a DT1 or long hunter... thats my reasoning for the duplex bag. So I guess for now if you had to have just one to begin with, which pack? and how would you set it up? ... extras and stuff like that.

I dont plan on leaving my pack in camp. So modularity to get my camp back in the wilderness and then turn it into my day pack when Im there and hauling game are all things to be considered. I like the idea of a smaller pack-4000ci range but if im wrong tell me why and sell me a bigger bag... LOL! I am somewhat consious of weight but not an ounce counter... hope I gave enough info. Thanks for any and all input...

John Havard
07-05-2013, 01:28 PM
You can always make a big bag smaller but you can't make a small bag bigger. Weight differences between a big and a medium-sized bag (my interpretation of the options you're considering) are minimal - definitely less than the additional weight of extra pods or pockets you'd need to add to the smaller bag to increase cubes. My choice has always been to get the bigger bag and simply compress it down when carrying less. Others will have their opinions that might differ, but that's how I roll.

Sourdough
07-05-2013, 03:41 PM
I guess my first question is "What" will you be hunting..........???? Dropping a Moose, Brown Bear, or Elk 5 to 7 miles in from base camp.........????

Jay03
07-05-2013, 03:43 PM
How about pictures of larger bags campressed down for day hikes/overnighters. Or smaller bags with a few add-ons for longer trips. Anyone have anything like that they don't mind sharing?

Jay03
07-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Oh sorry... important info there that I forgot. Mostly mule deer and second would be elk. I will also be hunting antelope occasionally as well as bear here and there. Someday I hope to have sheep in the scope as well.

For mule deer its rifle and bow, elk will be mostly bow in the foreseeable future. Anything else will be whatever tag I can draw....

Jay03
07-05-2013, 03:50 PM
I live in Oregon so no moose or brown bear here... I wish. I did have the chance to take a 67" bull moose not far from bethel in 2008. Trip of a lifetime for me.

O8h7w
07-05-2013, 03:53 PM
I have one Kifaru, a G1 Navigator, and a Scout on the way. There will be pockets on these. Many pockets. I'm not sure I like that though.

If I were to buy my first Kifaru today, I'm pretty sure I'd end up with the Highcamp 4800 (with a Bikini frame). This is mainly because it seems to be the most versatile to me. It is a stripped down bag with good modularity and good compressibility... correct me if I'm wrong on the last one. And it is about the right base size, a little bigger than what I need in any normal case. One or two pockets on the belt would then be enough.

What you do get with a smaller pack and external pouches is a high level of organization, with quick and easy access to most things. But this doesn't seem very important in your usage case. What you don't get is somewhere to put something big (the T3 is very narrow), and this might be important to you.

I, just as John, and most people on the hunting side of this forum from what I have read, think that the bigger pack is the better solution.

The disclaimer is obvious: I have not really tested it. I have just read and thought about this stuff too much. :)

Daveinjax
07-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Go with a big bag . I had the bikini and high camp 4800 and it would be a solid choice. The bikini frame is the bomb and there are so many ways to rig it. Unfortunately for me the bikini was too short for my freakishly long torso so I sold it and got a custom 28" duplex. When I did that I switched to the TD1 bag. After I trimmed out the snow collar and sleeping bag compartment divider and trimmed the straps off the long hunter lid I think I have about the ideal bag. By the time you add some pouches and pockets to the high camp for organization you are close to same weight or more than a trimmed T1. If you neatly compress the bag it gets flat and small enough you will not notice it hang back there. It compresses flat to the frame for a day pack and when you have your prize on the ground , bam ! It opens up and you can drop your hanging meat bag in there and go. No trying to figure out how to lash the meat to the frame because it will not fit. Use pouches and pockets instead of pullouts so if you fill your bag full of meat you can attach them to the outside of your pack. Easy to get to your stuff without having to unpack the meat or fish around it. The T1 is a 5200 ci bag and the sewn in pockets make up the rest of the capacity. The T1 bag will do it all for you and do it well. Lay flat to the frame when mostly empty for day pack , open it up and it will do up to 5 to 7 days inside the bag and carry a large load of meat . Used with the hanging meat bag and it will put the load right where it needs to be. Built in pockets don't hang on brush and tear or pull you off balance as easily. The T1 is a really well designed bag for hunting.

rhunter424
07-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Unfortunately for me the bikini was too short for my freakishly long torso so I sold it and got a custom 28" duplex.
No more custom work say whaaaaat?

You're headed in the right direction. Getting a duplex/bikini frame lets you fix your mistake on the bag if your original decision was not fitting for your needs. Sell the bag and order a different one if you want.

The timberline series compresses down ridiculously small, but the layout of the pockets when compressed makes them still accessible.

If you know you're hauling out meat, I'd say get the bigger bag and compress. You might as well get a grab-it or a cargo panel and some pockets too. Even though you won't plan on using them on the outside of a larger pack, you'll start thinking about the possibilities once you see the modularity of the frame and bag. Plus the hunting pouches are light enough to use them as internal organization.

Jay03
07-05-2013, 10:43 PM
I already thought about a cargo panel. But kinda wanted a Duplex frame for that and the bikini for a timberline bag. Maybe Ill change my mind when I see a bikini frame but from the pictures and to me it seems like the duplex frame would be sturdier as a stand alone cargo hauler. But like I said... seeing one in person might change my mind and save buying an extra frame.

Jay03
07-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I ordered a duplex timberline 2 with the long hunter lid, small belt pouch, GPS pouch, grab it all in multicam. A duplex hunting frame with 24" composite stays in CB. Elk reaper pointed me in this direction of the duplex over the bikini after describing were and what I hunt. Now the wait begins.. also got a woobie and +20 degree slick bag and some pullouts on the way as well as a organizer for my E&E. I am divorced now...and I did enjoy being married and hopefully someday I will be again ... but it feels good to have zero guilt or hassle after placing a 1500 dollar order for toys!! haha

shtfco
07-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I ordered a duplex timberline 2 with the long hunter lid, small belt pouch, GPS pouch, grab it all in multicam. A duplex hunting frame with 24" composite stays in CB. Elk reaper pointed me in this direction of the duplex over the bikini after describing were and what I hunt. Now the wait begins.. also got a woobie and +20 degree slick bag and some pullouts on the way as well as a organizer for my E&E. I am divorced now...and I did enjoy being married and hopefully someday I will be again ... but it feels good to have zero guilt or hassle after placing a 1500 dollar order for toys!! haha

Yeah Aron has a habit of knowing what he is talking about. You did good on your choice. Are you a smaller frame? I ask cause the 24 inch stays are reserved for the smaller stature folks. Yeah your going to be like a kid in the candy store when the order comes in.

Taking Bets he sleeps with all of this gear the first night he gets it.......... ;)

Jay03
07-11-2013, 02:05 AM
I am 5'11 but have a 34" inseam. Both Aaron and Angie with customer service thought the 24 sounded like the right fit. My torso is short for my height. Im second guessing it myself but I'll leave this one up to the people that know more than me for now. I guess worst case if I find I want the 26" this one can go in the classifieds while I order a 26. May loose a few bucks but proper fit is worth it.

Jay03
07-11-2013, 02:07 AM
Taking Bets he sleeps with all of this gear the first night he gets it.......... ;)

And so what if I do! hahaha....

At least the woobie and slick bag for sure!