PDA

View Full Version : Gear and reloading components storage in 150 degree attic space?

bark-eater
07-03-2013, 07:38 AM
I just moved a metric s**t ton of "gear" to my new home which is "South Of The Mason-Dixon Line". My main available storage is an uninsulated attic that is going to be HOT HOT HOT this summer. I am hoping my basic gear including packs, dry bags and tents will be ok, and will keep my sleeping bags and therma-rests in a conditioned closet downstairs. I am not sure what to do with powder, primmer and ammo though. There is a garage that is damp because of the concrete slab regularly hitting the dew point but the air's relative humidity isn't really any lower in the attic. I'm leaning towards a locked down Hardig case in the garage with desiccants and a golden rod to keep this stuff out of the heat. Im a Lee Loader/ Scout Rifle kinda guy so I'm not talking about large amounts of components, but I am questioning the plastic case because of static discharge. Thanks, Woody

rayporter
07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
the attic is sure to cause trouble. i know some folks that use an old freezer or refrigerator to store powder in the garage. i doubt it is perfect but ya do what ya gotta do.
perhaps some insulation between the floor and the freezer?

Daveinjax
07-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Find a place inside. The top of the closet maybe. Smokeless powder isn't explosive unless confined in a casing and primers only go off if hit hard and fast. A box of a few pounds of powder and and loading tools is not that big. Yes they burn hot and fast but without a source of ignition it's safe enough. The heat cycling will cause condensation and that will ruin all of it possibly if you store it in either the garage or the attic.