PDA

View Full Version : Pemmican?

Ed T
04-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Any one with a good recipe for pemmican. I tried jerky/dates and olive oil last summer and it wasn't bad. I don't think I want to use beef fat or lard for the fat portion.

If made in the right proportions, I believe pemmican is close to the ideal trail food.

Ed T

JF
04-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Obviously you are talking about real pemmican. Interesting question, hope to see some good input (sorry I don't have any). I have made up Moose Goo a few times and it's pretty good. I s'pose you could go a heck of a ways on Pemmican and Moose Goo. No cooking either.

JF

Ed C
04-29-2004, 05:41 PM
JF
Refresh my memory on moosegoo. I think it's peanutbutter honey and cornmeal? Also interested in pemican.
Ed C

CraigM
04-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Most of the recipes that I found used suet, this one does not.
Saskatoon Pemmican

Yield: 3 cups

1 c jerky, beef or venison

1 c dried Saskatoon berries or dried blueberries

1 c unroasted sunflower seeds or crushed nuts of any kind

2 ts honey

1/4 c peanut butter

1/2 ts cayenne [optional]

This version uses peanut butter rather than melted suet or lard as the
binding agent, which is more palatable for today's health conscious diets.

Grind [or pound] the dried meat to a mealy powder. Add the dried berries and
seeds or nuts. Heat the honey, peanut butter and cayenne until softened.
Blend. When cooled, store in a plastic bag or sausage casing in a cool dry
place. It will keep for months.

Craig

ozarkrambler
04-29-2004, 06:00 PM
For what it is worth, the way I make pemmican, and I eat a lot of it, got to keep my cholesterol level up there, I go to my locker plant and get a couple of big hunks of fat from around the kidneys of some good beef, this is the best flavored fat on the beef, then I render it down on the stove till I get all the floaties out of it. Next step, is to take some jerky, most of the time made from deer or beef, and pound it up, or use a blender until it is fine and crumbly. Next step is to take the melted rendered beef fat and start to slowly pour it onto the jerky while stirring it around. Once I get it completly covered and saturated, not drippy, I form it into squares, after it cools down I wrap it in waxed paper and the seal it up with a vac. sealer and then freeze it. You wouldn't need to freeze it, but I do it mainly to have some place to keep it away from my kids. Thats about it, any more questions just ask. Dan

Forster
04-29-2004, 06:06 PM
I haven't made it myself but if I do, I'm using good old beef fat: Cut fat into small pieces, place in frying pan to melt out all the greese but don't let it bubble up, discard lumps that don't disolve, mix with equal amount of pounded and shreded jerky, keep in air tight container or baggie. Yum.

JF
04-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Ed C:

I make MG with rice flour, vanilla flavored soy milk, chopped up raisins and dried cherries when I can find 'em, honey, and PB. If there's an official recipie I'm sure that ain't it, but I like it.

I researched pemmican myself and found almost all the recipies are similar. 3 parts dried meat ground as fine as possible, enough clarified beef suet to just moisten the meat, (approx 2 parts) and one part dried fruit (usually berries).

The beef suet idea gives me a gaggy feeling but it's probably OK. I may try the PB substitute.

JF

Sgathak
04-30-2004, 03:20 AM
Moose Goo (original)

Basic Recipe:
2 parts honey
2 parts corn flour (NOT corn meal!)
1 part peanut butter (preservative-laden)
Mix thoroughly, will take some time.
Pack into Coghlan's Squeeze Tube (REI, Campmor, etc), or in cold weather wrap in wax paper.
Single Squeeze Tube Proportions (2-3 lunches w/ large tortillas):
8 tbsp honey
8 tbsp corn flour
4 tbsp peanut butter
Per tube:
1320 calories
172g carbs (70 simple, 102 complex)
24g protein
38g fat (That's a high proportion of fat, but what the heck...)

BEWARE! Below 40F, Moose Goo becomes impossible to squeeze out! Open the tube from the back and spoon it out when that happens. For snow camping pack it in wax paper instead, eat it like a candy bar, or pre-pack it into tortillas.

MooseGoo cookies (Mookies) are good too...

Use the original MooseGoo mix, add in 1/4 cup Soy Milk powder.

For the baking part, form into balls by the tablespoon (balls are approx 1 inch in diameter). Place on unoiled baking sheet and flatten to ~1/4 inch thick with the bottom of a plastic cup dipped gently in corn flour - shake off the excess flour, and if any gets left behind on a Mookie, gently brush it off with a pastry brush. Bake at 350* for 8 - 10 minutes, or until light golden. Do not overbake! The easiest way to tell that they're done is to watch when the "sheen" disappears from the surface and it looks dry. If you've ever made crepes you know what I mean. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 - 10 minutes before attempting to move them to a cooling rack - they're very soft when they come out but do firm up. Two tubes' worth (starting with 1 cup of honey) makes approximately 3 1/2 dozen Mookies."

beta male
05-01-2004, 06:52 AM
Ed T, a google search will give you a website to lots of other websites on pemmican. I have read one receipe that used real peanut butter ( to avoid the wrong kind of fats). The main purpose of rendering the fat is to get rid of fats that will turn rancid. Hey, isn't that how you make tallow candles too?

Ed C
05-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Sgathak Thanks Ed C

Ed C
05-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Sgathak
I just thought of a question after reading that again. 1320 calories, would you happen to know what that would weigh? Like how many calories per ounce?

Sgathak
05-02-2004, 02:48 AM
I would have to mix up a batch... I got the recipe from a site I was at like, 3 years ago. I dont know if its even still up.

mike
05-04-2004, 10:09 AM
The Moose Goo recipe and about anything else you want to know about it is at <a href="http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com" target="_blank">http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com (http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com)</a>

JF
05-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Mike:

Thanks, I just KNEW it was out there somewheres. There is some good stuff on that site BTW.

I'm more interested in the pemmican with PB as it sounds like a nice combo of MG and pemmican. (Chaomping on a slab of meat and beef tallow still gives me the creeps)

JF