PDA

View Full Version : Knives

MikeB1273
06-30-2013, 10:42 AM
What knife do you guys carry in any of the following scenarios: every day, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting? I'm curious about brands, blade length & steel. Also what do you use to maintain you edge, sharpening system?

I carry a Benchmade bone collector daily & plan to replace it soon. Previously I carried a Benchmade mini grip. I also have an assortment of other knives I rotate into daily use that are mostly Case knives. When hiking I carry a Buck fixed blade which the model evades me. For fishing I have a cheap filet knife.

mark s
06-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Everyday carry is a swiss army hunter and a 3 1/4 in ceramic folder. The ceramic folder just caught my fancy. It is light and is my longer blade. I did use it to gut a turkey that I hit with my truck. When I am backpacking, I carry a 4 in mora cause I can beat the cr-- out of it and not worry because it is a $20 knife. Hunting, I carry a Dozier semi-skinner. Like many here, I have too many knives.

Ralph
06-30-2013, 11:37 AM
I rarely carry only one. I almost always carry a Schrade (USA) Uncle Henry mini-Stockman and a Gerber Dime multi-tool.

I don't do much hiking anymore but when I do, and when camping, I add an AG Russell Woodswalker as a neck knife and a Marttiini All-purpose Puukko on my belt.

Fishing depends. For trout I usually have a old Gerber Fish & Small Game and a Walton's Thumb multi-tool. For other species I use a Marttiini filet knife, either the 4" or the 6" and the Gerber Fisherman multi-tool.

I don't do big game, for small game I add a Marble's Small Game knife or a Buck Bird knife (with the blunt gutting hook). Most anytime I am in the woods I will have a Victorinox knife with a saw, either the Hiker or the Hunter lockblade.

XMP
06-30-2013, 11:53 AM
My two go to brands are Bark River and Turley. My current favorites are the Bark River Bushcrafter (CPM3v, which is amazing stuff) and a Turley Soldier River (O1). The common denominator is that they are both convex ground knives, so in the field I carry a small double-sided leather strop and a strip of sandpaper, to keep the edges sharp.

74 or more
06-30-2013, 12:34 PM
I EDC a Zero Tolerance 350 which also comes along on short/familiar hikes. If I'm camping or hiking somewhere farther out or somewhere I'm not familiar with I carry either my Gerber LMF or a KA-BAR USMC knife. I recently bought a Blind Horse Knives Bone Trapper neck knife which might replace my ZT in the woods.

For EDC I highly recommend the Zero Tolerance 350. It's a little pricy though. I like the KA-BAR a little more than the Gerber, mostly because I don't really dig on serrations. Aside from that the Gerber LMF is a phenomenal knife (IMO).

MojoSlim
06-30-2013, 01:56 PM
EDC:
Used to be a Moore Maker Roper Jr. Till I lost it
Currently:
-Moore Maker Trail Boss
-Leatherman Squirt PS4
-Speedy Sharp Sharpener

Camping:
-Moore Maker Trail Boss
-Leatherman Squirt
-Traditional Filipino Weapons: Pakal #2
-Traditional Filipino Weapons: Ginunting or Kukri
-Cold Steel Trail Hawk (not often when Kukri or Ginunting are packed)
-Speedy Sharp Sharpener

Backpacking:
-Moore Maker Trail Boss
-Leatherman Squirt
-Pakal # 2
-Speedy Sharp

Hunting (on foot - not from base camp):
-Moore Maker Roper Jr. (haven't hunted since I lost it)
-Leatherman Squirt
-Pakal #2
-Havalon Piranta + spare blades

Some items that I've recently acquired that I want to start incorporating:
- 2Hawks Double Bit Nessmuk Axe
- Jeff White Custom Nessmuk Skinner

With the Moore Maker Trail Boss, this is my first traditional Nessmuk Trio.

I usually avoid Stainless Steels, as I'm fairly rough on my blades and have snapped pretty much every Stainless blades I've owned. Ive had great experience with Carbon Steel blades and prefer these. The TFW blades I mentioned above are 5000 series (5140, I think) HC steel. Other 1000 series and other tool steels (D2) have been used to great satisfaction. I typically put a patina on my HC blades using vinegar for rust resistance.

The stainless I own now is the Leatherman Squirt and a Outdoor Edge SwingBlade (AUS-8) <- which I am about to sell.

I dont know much technical info on the type of grind on these blades, but I will sharpen and reprofile my Pakal based on the scenario. If I'm cuttin rope, cord, I may not strop, leaving a more rough jagged edge which powers through heavy hemp type rope. I'll put a more extreme angle if doing finer carving/feathers, or put a more blunt/acute angle for batoning and hard bushcraft use.

With the Nessmuk trio, I'll have 5 edges that I can keep the grind more consistent. Double Bit will have one side for cutting and one side for chopping. The Skinner will be set up for general food and game prep tasks, while the Trail Boss' two blades can have the splay blade set up for carving work and the other (sorta drop point-ish) a little rougher for cordage cutting, etc.

Like many other as Mark S. mentioned, I have too many blades and at the same time, not enough. My grandpa was a panday (Filipino Bladesmith), and he is who influenced my love of cutlery. As a boy i would watch him take leaf spring steel from the dump and sit in the front yard shaping and forging his blades (a small anvil, ball peen, and old school torch were his tools). To many Filipinos, the knife is a symbol of Freedom, much akin to our reverence for the 2nd Ammendment, here in the US.

Anyway, after reading all your posts and writing mine, I feel I need a new blade! Very intrigued by Iz's work at Turley, as well as a few offerings from Bark River. I've been in contact with a maker named Muskrat Man to have a custom knife made with the antler crown section of my first bill elk as handles! My name is mojoslim, and I am addicted to knives.

MikeB1273
06-30-2013, 03:58 PM
I didn't think about it until rereading the replies but I also carry a Gerber Diesel multi tool. In my first aid kit I have a Case tiny trapper with a surgical steel blade. I dedicated it there because of it's size & sharpness, it's very scalpel like. I use a Spyderco sharpmaker sharpening system & an assortment of different diamond stones.

DocGP
06-30-2013, 09:08 PM
A Leatherman Skeletool goes with me everywhere, ML knives Kephart Fisher is my beater, and a Dozier for skinning.

Doc

widowshooter
06-30-2013, 10:58 PM
I carry a Benchmade for EDC, and have a Buck lite attached to my 10/22 when I am out in the woods. I am putting some serious thought into getting a Hallon set of blades.

Treebeard
07-01-2013, 12:34 AM
I like Tops Knives, and ESEE Knives. I have a knife I designed at the prototype level for Tops at the moment. Hope it goes public soon I am sure many will like it.

Echo63
07-01-2013, 05:49 AM
EDC is a Victorinox Sak - either a solo, huntsman or a slightly smaller than normal model (big blade,small blade, bottle opener and can opener, maybe a cadet ?)
And a Vic Swisstool

Around home i find all sorts of stuff in my pockets or on my belt - the standard EDC plus a spyderco, or a BRKT, or a Carbidized Titanium blade by Daniel Fairly

Most frequently used are BRKT Gunny, Byrd Wings , Spyderco Salt (either pacific or atlantic) or the DFK Ti BOK

I dont hunt - but if i go bush i typically have my normal EDC, the BRKT Gunny in my pack or car and a BRKT PSK in my pocket
I also have a Fiskars X15 axe in the trunk of the car (under the floorboard with my spare tyre) and a Bahco folding saw in my pack

boom
07-01-2013, 10:32 AM
everyday?

case knife my stepdad gave me before he passed. i love it and i didnt think i would. very old school in my high tech world. avocados dont stand a chance. it is with me always. (blade is a tad narrow for effective cream cheese spreading on the bagel..but the bagel is sliced nice!)

hiking? things get more "robust". Benchmade Eislewitze. bombproof and after a factory visit, sharp as a laser.

hunting? i go cheap now. $15 Mora Companion. i am using a rock to tap that thing through some bones i shouldnt. amazing what i'm willing to do to a inexpensive knife. i have a better knife, but it is not as sharp as the high carbon steel of a Mora. i can shave with it.

car-side animal butchering? i use a vintage Forgecraft high carbon butcher knife i bought at an antique show for $5.

jljmonky
07-01-2013, 11:27 AM
every day I rotate between a Buck Crosslock, Buck Vantage and a well worn benchmade...

Hiking there is either a Mora surplus or a Blind Horse Snap Knap and a multitool

Fishing, multitool and rapalla fillet knife

Hunting is a Rapalla hunting knife and a gerber skinner/saw combo...

back pack hunting the plan is to keep the gerber set and throw in my Blind Horse Nessmuk along with a hand axe...

boom
07-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Here is my case. 1976 stockman. 12825

MikeB1273
07-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Very nice Stockman, that's probably my favorite of all Case knives. I had a Amber Jigged Bone medium Stockman that was the sharpest edc knife I've ever had. I discovered it was gone when I found a small hole in the bottom of my pocket while working in a chemical plant. Everything there was covered in rock & there was no possible way I would find it, & I did try.

robcollins
07-01-2013, 10:18 PM
ZT 0350. Victorinox Champion. $26 shipped on eBay, couldn't pass it up. SOG Powerassist.

.....and that's the EDC list. Because why choose. Right?

boom
07-03-2013, 08:31 AM
i was just about to order a ZT tiger stripe with partial serrations. ZT0350TSST or something..BUT i spent all my "mad money" on my pack. i had to ask myself two questions: what did i need more? and what would i use more? the pack won!

those ZT's are nice. i have plenty of benchmades to fill any knife voids i might feel..but i am gonna get that blade oneday.

flamingo 7
07-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Late to the party, but was moved by events yesterday. While helping to set up for an Independence Day festival we were working with lots of ropes, tents and camouflage nets. There were about 30 of us working together, including 10 or more GI's as well as retirees. The first call for a knife went out and I didn't pay much attention as I assumed that with 30 guys there about 40 knives would be offered to the poor soul without one. The call went out again and I looked up and saw there was no response. So I tossed the fellow my SAK. The only other knife to make a showing while we worked was a large folder from a retired SF Engineer. Both knives made the rounds several times. It is amazing that so many men didn't carry a knife. My EDC is the SAK Climber. The one currently in my pocket is the 4th iteration as TSA has graciously taken ownership of the first three. When I say EDC I mean Every Day. When I die they will find it in my left front pocket, regardless of what I'm wearing. If I'm hunting, it's in my left front pocket, regardless of what other knives I'm carrying. If at a funeral it's in the left front pocket of my suit pants, if I'm wearing my flamingo pink thong it's in my left front pocket (I have a cargo thong). I'd rather leave the house without pants then without my knife (although then I'd not have a left front pocket).

boom
07-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Nice. I have one on me 100%. Most days it's a hangnail or bagel that needs cutting:)

MikeB1273
07-05-2013, 04:03 PM
I always have my Benchmade on me & a Buck 110 folder I'm my bag. Then there is the Case in my FAK.

AbrahamX
07-07-2013, 09:56 PM
I love and have predator military knives :)
Do you have such a pair ?

ron finkbeiner
07-13-2013, 10:43 PM
I just ordered a Bushcraft Tactical 4.75 inch blade from Martin Knives. I can't wait to try it out! I will do a small review in four months or so when I get it.

bankay
07-16-2013, 01:10 PM
These days my general knife that I tend to carry is my home made version of the DeWeese pattern knife. The DeWeese pattern isn't well known. Dall DeWeese apparently came up with it as an ultralight hunter's knife and, I am supposing, he likely made/modded his out of a Green River or Old Hickory knife blank just like I did.

I used a POS Ryobi 6" bench grinder on a Green River butcher knife blank and hand jigged the black paper micarta scales that I glued on it. The knife only weighs 3.7 oz (about as much as a SAK) and I either wear it around my neck or just stick it in a pocket using a folded kydex sheath.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/bankayhoodlum/blades/510FC372-2F73-45ED-BB6A-24630A5820C7-200-000000116B2049E7_zpsfee328c1.jpg

KurtB
07-23-2013, 02:03 PM
For hunting purposes, I used Gerbers for years. Then bought an S30 Ingram which is quite nice and I like it a lot. If I had to do it over though, I'd go with a cutco. Buddy has one and I watched it in action last fall on a deer. Just an amazingly sharp knife at a great price.

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5718

Texas JTAC
07-26-2013, 02:31 AM
EDC-Emerson Super Commander or Benchmade Auto Stryker. I've put down multiple wild pigs with the Benchmade SRK & Gerber LMF, the SRK has since grown legs and walked off... My new skinning go to is a Havalon Piranta Edge, its still stupid sharp after cleaning 2 deer and I have 12 more spare blades for it!

Anthony
07-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Anyone had a nitrobie 77 blade? Heard it as good as a m390 blade.

Flexxx
08-10-2013, 04:07 PM
EDC-Spyderco

Fixed-ESEE and BHK

Pocket Lint
08-12-2013, 04:35 PM
I rotate between my Spyderco Delica4 and Endura4 for EDC. My Delica4 being a 2.87 inch blade, saber ground, VG-10 steel, and the Endura4 being a 3.75 inch blade, full flat ground, VG-10.

For camping, and hunting, I use my Bob Dozier Buffalo River Hunter. It's a fixed blade that measures 3.75 inches with D2 steel. I plan on replacing this knife with a tougher, more corrosion resistant steel (such as VG-10).

For fishing, I do not currently have a dedicated fishing blade, although, if I do purchase one (highly likely :D), it would probably be a filleting knife intended for this role.

As for sharpening my blades, I currently use the Lansky knife sharpening system (standard model). It comes with 3 stones, 120 grit (coarse) 280 grit (medium) and 600 grit (fine). I strop my knives with a very fine micron grit paste afterwards.

malJohann
08-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Judging by the impressive list so far, I have no style. :)

EDC is a Cold Steel Recon Tanto.

Soon I'll get the old style Victorinox Hunter and a Morakniv for camping duty.

I also have a Light My Fire Titanium Spork. What?!!! Its got a cutting edge you know!

I see a Gerber LMF II in my near future, possibly the FG IR edition.

Texas JTAC
08-21-2013, 02:22 AM
In addition to my earlier post I'd like to call attention to a superb knife maker operating out of Canada. Mr. Sean O'Hare's work is superb! I've recently started talking to him about a custom Sojourner and he is completely willing to work out all the minute details with a customer. Check him out!

https://www.facebook.com/OHareKnives
FB

http://www.ohareknives.com/

boom
08-22-2013, 08:39 PM
In addition to my earlier post I'd like to call attention to a superb knife maker operating out of Canada. Mr. Sean O'Hare's work is superb! I've recently started talking to him about a custom Sojourner and he is completely willing to work out all the minute details with a customer. Check him out!

https://www.facebook.com/OHareKnives
FB

http://www.ohareknives.com/

beautiful!! that is big money. you can buy two Neeman knives out of sweden..shipped. another crazy beautiful knife maker.

i admit, i did check the canadian exchange rate..that hunter knife by ohare is stunning.

Texas JTAC
08-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Well heck, I'm an unmarried USAF NCO that's deployed in durka-durkistan, what else am I gonna spend my money on? Plus its my Christmas/Bday present to myself while I'm over here. Ya'll have a good'un!

MikeB1273
08-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Well heck, I'm an unmarried USAF NCO that's deployed in durka-durkistan, what else am I gonna spend my money on? Plus its my Christmas/Bday present to myself while I'm over here. Ya'll have a good'un!

Thank you for your service! Secondly, either find a knife maker who's designs & business philosophy follows your ideal; with off the shelf, boutique or full custom. Then go from there. Off the shelf I recommend Benchmade, but I prefer their knives & especially the Axis lock over anything. Enjoy your search & don't expect the first to be a perfect fit or the last quality knife you buy.

Texas JTAC
08-31-2013, 04:21 AM
Mike, I completely agree. My EDC blades rotate between a Benchmade auto-Stryker and an Emerson Super Commander over here. Sean O'Hare has been extremely helpful throughout this process of tweaking my custom order from his shop up in Canada. I've been coveting one of his knives and finally pulled the trigger on one. The waiting is going to be the hardest part!

boom
09-01-2013, 12:05 AM

Amen! Get a neeman as well!

Pics when you get it. Please.

Apple
09-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Fiddleback Forge

Texas JTAC
09-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Amen! Get a neeman as well!

Pics when you get it. Please.

You can count on it!

Texas JTAC
12-20-2013, 02:35 PM

As promised guys! Sean finally finished up my custom! The blade is his Sojourner style, I selected black canvas micarta with the mosaic middle pin in the grip with thumb serrations and he sandblasted the whole thing for me.

JJHACK
12-20-2013, 02:49 PM
I use victonix paring knives in our hunting camp for nearly all skinning chores up to eland. The thick skinned game including giraffe need a small gerber hatchet until you can get the skin to begin to fold under its own weight.

The paring knives are like 3 bucks each. No point in expensive knives that will last a year and have the blades sharpened away to pencil thin. After 100-150 head of big game blades sharpen away before your eyes.

I have a buck 112 converted to automatic, and the wood replaced with rhino bone. This is what I usually carry around. I helped Tim wegner owner of blade tech develop his professional hunter knives. We used various versions in camp with a dozen PH's using them 2 years. What he is selling now was the accumulation of experience from lots of professionals in the field.

The main features: orange handle, no liner lock, only a lock back. Liner locks were eventually pushed open with fat and hair getting into the works. Then steel that can be sharpened in the field. Many makers use steel so hard it's nearly impossible to resharpen once dull. At least with field tools. We skin to many things and big things to expect even the hardest steel to stay sharp.

Better to carry two as well, toss aside the first one half way through and use the second. A small diamond steel is also a great addition to get the edge back as needed.

robcollins
12-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Well, I blame you all for this new Benchmade..

And Mojo "I've broken every stainless steel knife I've owned" slim, you may not borrow it.

Mumbledypeg in a stream bed? How?!?

davidbkk
12-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Edc: I go between my ZT 350,my Emerson Commander and when my Direware solo arrives I will put that into rotation. I also carry a Hideaway knife along with one of those
hiking: I carry my Strider SMF
camping: I carry my Strider along with my Randal model 14

HarpT
12-26-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't have the time to go through every single post on this thread. But, I'm thinking about buying a Becker BK2 for camping and backpacking. And I'll probably use it to clean fish, etc. Anybody got any experience with it?

HarpT
12-28-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm sorry. I didn't have the time to go through every single post on this thread. But, I'm thinking about buying a Becker BK2 for camping and backpacking. And I'll probably use it to clean fish, etc. Anybody got any experience with it?

Anyone? I know someone on here has this knife.

ron finkbeiner
01-11-2014, 09:45 AM
There's a fellow in NY, mlknives.com, that makes traditional Bushcraft blades and seems to be really reasonable price wise. I am really liking the look of the traditional Kephart style knives he makes. Hope this helps.

shtfco
01-11-2014, 12:14 PM
always carry 2 my buck vantage. and my esee 4 is in the edc pack.

widowshooter
01-11-2014, 01:12 PM
I just picked up a Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife. I plan on using this on all of my outdoor exercusions. For Christmas I was given a Havalon for the skinning chores and as usual, I have the Benchmade folder in my pocket.

Ralph
01-11-2014, 02:20 PM
I forgot to mention sharpening. I like dressing a knife edge with a steel. The trick is to use the steel a lot - well before there is any dulling noticed. The leather pouch I carry the Hiker in has a loop for the small steel. Victorinox makes/made? a two piece steel that nests in the handle I carry in a tool pouch. I also have a oouple of the Gerber Sportsman's steel (highly recommended if you can find one). One is carried in Gerber's leather pouch, the other in a front pouch on my "big knife" - a Cold Steel Carbon V Recon Scout - along with a DMT 4" fine/coarse diamond hone.

I carry a diamond pen hone with my fishing gear and have credit-card size diamond plates in all grits. I also made up strips of mouse pad and wet-dry paper in various grits along with a leather field strop. The diamond pens can be a bit rough when you get them, but smooth down with use so I use the pen around the house for awhile before adding it to the kit. Fishing knives need to be sharp so I use the Gerber and the filet knives for cleaning/fileting fish only. A regular pocket knife is used to cut cordage and such.

Lately I got some Condor knives, made in El Salvador. These have proven to be nicely made at very reasonable prices. I currently have the very large Hudson Bay, a Nessmuk and just got a Hivernant. I will probably add a Bushcraft to the collection. All are full-tang with wood scales. The Hivernant is 420HC stainless steel, the others are 1075 carbon. If you are interested in these I recommend

http://www.baryonyxknife.com/

The owner hand selects every knife he sells and for a couple of dollars refines and improves the factory edge, while selling at a discount. His service is excellent.

HarpT
01-11-2014, 04:40 PM
I just recently received my Ka-Bar BK2 that I ordered off ebay for $70 shipped. I messed around and batonned some wood and put a new edge on it with my DC4. I have a 1"x3" patch of hair missing on my arm where one swipe of the blade shaved it clean. Full tang 1095 carbon blade with pommel and lanyard hole. Removable "Grivory" handles. About 11" inches long (5 1/4 blade). At 1/4 inch thick, it is a 15 oz. beast! It's basically a pry bar with an edge and a handle. This is my all duty camping knife. Haven't had much of a chance to test it out but have read many rave reviews.

Gerber Metolious fine edge folder which did an excellent job batonning wood for me last time out. Has very nice finger adjustments on blade side above handle (cutout fits around index) and on the spine allowing entire thumb to rest on the back of the blade. This is very helpful when you have to get really deep into something and maintain a lot of control or for whittling, feather sticks, etc. $15 new but out of the box on ebay.

Also have a Kershaw folder with a clip was given for Christmas a few years back.