PDA

View Full Version : Zulu

15FunCo
06-29-2013, 10:42 AM
So after about 3 months of looking I broke down and bought a Zulu with a hybrid pouch. I'm hoping to use it to climb Mt Conness in yosemite in August. I was wondering if anyone had load out advise or experiences with limitations? Or if you guys can share some experiences where the pack exceeded your expectations!?

Thanks guys!

Fun co

techbrute
06-29-2013, 01:02 PM
The Zulu is more than enough pack for Conness, which is an overnighter, or are going up and back in one day? If I recall, it's under 10 miles and around 2500' elevation change.

What gear do you feel like you need for it?

rhunter424
06-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Assuming you are asking Zulu load out suggestions, not necessarily specific to your hike.

The malice claymore fits on top of the standard Zulu lid perfectly.

I'd suggest some lock and loads to link together from the common loops at the top. This is all around good advice for any Kifaru pack though.

techbrute
06-29-2013, 04:18 PM
I love the chained pockets internally, but unless I'm missing something, I wouldn't bother with external pouches. I'd have a Stash-It, Hunting Pouch, or similar on the belt for quick access stuff, but the rest of the gear should fit fine inside the Zulu, as it's over 50L in capacity. If you have some special need for space, like you're carrying a large tent for several people, or using a sleeping bag that doesn't compress well, etc, then a Pod, Claymore, Grab-it, etc will work well. But, I think the typical user can fit an overnight into a Zulu with NO problem.

15FunCo
06-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Techbrute,

Probably going to turn the trip into a 2 or 3 day trip. Not because it needs to be but just for enjoyment. We will probably stay at the middle lake of Young lakes and use an entire day to summit. I plan on using a tarp for sleeping cover and taking some fishing gear just cause it is impossible to not throw a line out. My buddy just had surgery, 5 months ago, so I will carry some of his load because he would do the same for me. So I guess my concern is if the pack is large enough for my gear plus some of his

techbrute
06-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Well, without knowing the volume of what needs to be carried, it's hard to say what you'll need, but the base pack is great either as a standalone or grown out with pockets and pods. The Zulu should trat you just fine.