PDA

View Full Version : Good cook set for 4

SubSailor
06-29-2013, 12:12 AM
I am looking for a good cook set that can be used by 4. I would like to find a wash basin, pot and pan along with 4 plates and cups. This is what I have found http://www.backcountryedge.com/gsi_outdoors-pinnacle-camper-2012.aspx. Wondering if anyone knows of anything that is better. I don't have a definite metric for better but, am open to suggestions.

Ralph
06-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Well ... it depends. Are you going to be actually cooking or mostly heating water? Using an open fire, a woodstove or a fueled stove (gasoline, butane or alcohol)? Will you be carrying the kit or using animal or vehicle?

techbrute
06-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Since you're considering a set that is over 3.5 lbs, I assume you aren't backpacking, but really, your intended purpose is relevant for decent input.

SubSailor
06-29-2013, 02:42 PM
This particular set would be for use on a stove/grill as most of the camp sites do not allow open flames. I am looking for one that I can use with the family at these camp sites. Since we drive to the site weight is not a huge concern. It will be used to heat/cook some sides or cook breakfast.

Ralph
06-29-2013, 04:11 PM
That GSI set looks pretty good for your purposes. Add a coffee pot and some utensils and you're good to go.

My own kit for that number of people is vaguely similar: an old set of English bail handle aluminum billys with skillet lids, 3 qt, 2 qt and 1 qt pots. The 1 qt pot is replaced by a Mors 5-cup pot with percolator parts. Tableware is a set of GSI Cascadian plates, bowls and cups.

techbrute
06-29-2013, 04:12 PM
If you're just car camping with it, I'd head to Wally World and buy a cheap kitchen set. Most entry level sets are in the $30 range, and a set of plastic dinnerware is probably less than $20. I wouldn't pop the other $80-90 for the GSI set unless I was severely space limited, or cared about the gadget factor. FYI, the aluminum camp sets won't cook as good as regular carbon steel kitchen sets.

Ralph
06-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah, aluminum cooks badly, that's why most commercial restaurant cookware is aluminum and the best omlet pans are also cast aluminum. Actually, if you want a material that cooks really well (and weight is not an issue) use cast iron.

Take-a-knee
06-29-2013, 08:06 PM
I have a nesting set of SS pots from MSR. I got s few metal plates from somewhere. I put it all in the smallest Rubbermaid Action Packer and that serves as a wash basin. If you ain't humpin' it, nothing beats cast iron for a fry pan.

robcollins
06-29-2013, 09:09 PM
I really like the MSR pots for backpacking. Camping aluminum is okay for boiling water, same story with ti. Depends on weight. "Good" restaurant pans are copper core wrapped in stainless, love those...

For backpacking with the family, I've got a small Cabela's lumberjack depending on distance & menu, (cooking fish?) car camping can be cast iron skillet & Dutch oven.

Ralph
06-29-2013, 10:29 PM
This is what Cascade Designs says about cookware materials. This coincides with my experience.

"Aluminum is the cookware of choice for all-around backcountry use. It conducts heat evenly, is easy to clean when hard anodized and even easier when coated with a nonstick finish. It is also extremely efficient.

Stainless steel is very durable; perfect for when your pots take a lot of abuse. It lies somewhere between aluminum and titanium in terms of its cooking ability/suitability.

Titanium cookware's biggest advantage is its light weight. Titanium pots are ideal for boiling water, because they can be made with very thin walls and transfer heat very efficiently. They tend to develop hot spots, however, making them less than ideal for cooking temperature-sensitive foods like eggs or pancakes.

Cookware's efficiency is also dependent on its color and material. Our testing has found that darker pots (esp. the bottom) are the most fuel efficient. Older cookware, which blackens through use, becomes more efficient than new cookware.

snakey2
07-01-2013, 12:28 PM
For car camping I would go to Goodwill and pick out some stuff that fits your needs (pots, pans, utensils, etc.) get a Rubbermaid Actionpacker, other plastic box or make a wood one and save some money. I have a complete cook box for long term camp that will serve 6 guys, cook anything and cost me very little. Don't forget a bigger pot for cooking soups etc. and for heating wash water.

boom
07-02-2013, 12:10 PM
for car camping, all bets are off. i raid my kitchen. full on cast iron, big restaurant supply non sticks..wine glasses :) i dump it all in a plastic bin and go!