PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Pods Question

benb
06-18-2013, 12:08 AM
I have been thinking of stepping down from my Eberlestock Warhammer and getting a Kifaru Zulu since I have been getting lighter and smaller gear I don't think I need all the space of the Warhammer and I could shave some weight out of my gear by switching packs.

I am basically loosing 1800ci by stepping down and I am a little worried I am getting too agressive with the smaller pack. I see Kifaru has these "Pods":

http://store.kifaru.net/pods-p19.aspx

They look like they could expand a pack quite a bit if I needed the extra space. I was wondering if anybody could tell me the capacities of these bags?

What pack is that in the picture? (Trying to get a perspective on the size)

rhunter424
06-18-2013, 06:10 AM
I'm not 100% sure of the pods capacities. The medium pod was meant to carry a tailgunner, so maybe 1000 ci? The small fits a stuffed out XL pullout like a glove, so maybe 400 ci? And the large seems like it would be around 2000ci.

I'd call Angie @ Kifaru, or send Mel/Patrick/Aaron a message on here asking them for official numbers. Then report it back here, or ask them to put it on the website.

I don't know how many ci the Eberlestock Warhammer has, but keep in mind the zulu's 3200ci rating is without the snow collar being fully extended. The expandable 'snow' collar adds another 1000ci (at least that's the way it is on the G1. I'm assuming it's the same for the G2). So you have some wiggle room even without a pod.

The pack in the picture looks like the spike camp from the hunting line.

shtfco
06-18-2013, 06:22 AM
I have a large Pod and if I had to guess I could get 2k ci into without an issue. But yeah call Angie or Aron and they can answer for sure

74 or more
06-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Not sure about the exact sizes but I use a large pod to carry my full MSS system (both bags + bivvy). Before I bought one I e-mailed Mel to confirm which one I should get. Kifaru has amazing customer service. He got back to me the same day.

OhioKyle
06-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Due to the nature of the pods the volume is tough to state. However, the old web site had a pdf flyer on the pods with the following dimensions listed:
Small: 12 h X 7 w X 9 d
Med: 15 h X 9 w X 10 d
Large: 18 h X 12 w X 12 d

hawk55732
06-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Speaking of which, what happened to all that info? The old website had a lot more info on it.