PDA

View Full Version : Bikini Black - why lighter?

mfolch
06-16-2013, 05:11 PM
As the title line suggests, I'd like to find out why the Bikini frame weighs less in black than any other color. After much debate, I've decided I cannot justify the extra $80+ for multicam, and I've settled on the foliage green instead. Now I'm debating whether to save 3.5 oz by using a black frame instead of the matching foliage. Actually, I was raised by an ultra-light-weight backpacker for whom ounces trump aesthetics every time (happy fathers day, dad, if you're reading this), and, against that doubtless better judgment, I'm looking for an excuse to justify an aesthetic preference for the matching frame-bag combo. So my question is, why are the black bikini frames lighter? Are they made of a different material? And, if so, is that material stronger or weaker, more or less likely to tear than the others, etc.? Thanks.

Benny BC
06-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Second post by Patrick: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=31408&page=5&highlight=bikini

I ended up going with foliage because the black will mark & show up dirt a lot more easily.

mfolch
06-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks. If I'm reading it right, Patrick's post (below) from another forum discussion only gets to part of my question. He says that the bikini frame was only in black because of their supplier. But now it's in other colors as well, so I'm wondering why the weight difference. Are we to infer that the color fabrics are of a different type than the black?

Patrick's post: ",the reason the Bikini Frame is black is because that is the only color we can source for the specialized lightweight webbing we use in it's construction. The design philosophy underlying the Bikini/HighCamp combo is a continuation of our Ultralight program. The Frame costs out the same as the standard Duplex frame WITH composite stays option."

Benny BC
06-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Are we to infer that the color fabrics are of a different type than the black?

That's what I'm gleaning from it.

rhunter424
06-16-2013, 06:40 PM
So my question is, why are the black bikini frames lighter? Are they made of a different material?
Yes. It was originally only black because of the supplier. But people wanted matching webbing (at the cost of some weight savings), so they built matching non-black bikini frames with different material.

And, if so, is that material stronger or weaker, more or less likely to tear than the others, etc.? Thanks.
I believe they are both cordura...but Mel/Patrick/Aaron will have to confirm this. Either way I think you're good to go.

Benny BC
06-16-2013, 06:47 PM
The fabric is the same it's the webbing that's different. As per Patrick's statement: the reason the Bikini Frame is black is because that is the only color we can source for the specialized lightweight webbing.

mfolch
06-16-2013, 08:34 PM
"Yes. It was originally only black because of the supplier. But people wanted matching webbing (at the cost of some weight savings), so they built matching non-black bikini frames with different material."

Thanks.

Ermine
09-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Any difference in the black vs camo in regards to strength?

Patrick
09-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Ermine, the camo webbing is nylon. The black Bikini webbing is a non-nylon synthetic. If the nylon tensile strength is 1200 pounds the non-nylon is 800 pounds. These numbers aren't exact...the point is that both webbings are plenty strong for the task of man-carrying heavy loads.